IPowerMe: travel offers, curated just for you
Long gone are the days when you had to spend stressful hours browsing through dozens of travel websites, hoping to stumble upon a good offer that fulfills your needs. With IPowerMe, one tap of a button gives you a fresh set of highly personalized offers. Forget the search engines. Tell us how and where you would like to travel, and multiple airlines will present you with offers made specially for you.
At the heart of IPowerMe is an advanced data-driven personalization engine. To deliver personalized offers, we use machine learning and pull in millions of data points from your travel history and travel preference data.
All this is built while putting privacy first. Your personal information is securely stored in IPowerMe server and is never shared with the airlines. Personal offers are made based on your data, but without ever revealing whom this data belong to. In other words, your data is and will always stays yours.
How does it work?
1. Tell us your travel wishes
Tell us what you have in mind for the next trip. Skiing? You wanna travel anywhere in Africa? Or perhaps you'd like to go and get some sun, with no destination in mind? Just type your keywords into the search box. Then tap to get offers.
2. Explore personalized offers from different airlines
What you get is a list of travel offers from different airlines. Each curated specially for you. Just select an offer that you like best. Not quite perfect yet? Tap to "Power offers up" and add more preferences to get new offers. All that in seconds.
3. Get your tickets
No matter what travel service provider you’ve select, all bookings can be made within the app in just a few taps. And have no doubts: our payment process is 100% secure.
Getting a bit more technical...
For the tech savvy, the geeky, the privacy concerned or just the interested - here are some peeks under the hood:
- IPowerMe is GDPR compliant, consent driven opt-in-only data sharing platform. You and only you choose to share and leverage your data.
- Data privacy is enabled by using anonymous segments. Airlines can search IPowerMe for segments but all they ever see is a count (e.g. Student segment: 2100 users). No one ever sees your intention to buy until you decide to.
- Real time offers. You don't search for tickets here. You just type where you want to go and tailor made offers from different airlines are generated in real time.
- It is a first step towards a PII-store (Peronal Identifiable Information store), now we are building a platform for leveraging your data for airline travel, but the idea is big and universal: in the same fashion you should be able to leverage your data when buying a new razor or washing machine.
Why will it work?
Because the IPowerMe approach is beneficial to the airlines and there's no hidden catch here.
Currently airlines are spending huge amounts on marketing campaigns that MIGHT reach people who MIGHT be interested. With IPowerMe airlines will be able reach people who have expressed their intention to fly. And even more: people who have told exactly what they want.
Also, airlines don't really have a way to differentiate themselves to you in a meaningful way. Unless you are already their loyal customer. IPowerMe enables airlines to treat everyone as their loyal customer (so, technically speaking, airlines are now being loyal to the user, not the other way round).
More about privacy and why we care
Big Data is watching you. It may even be controlling you. And it is a BIG business. It's not just the Zuckerbergs selling their souls with our profiles to the highest bidder or the Cambridge Analyticas marketing us to anyone who will pay. It is also those useless ads popping up wherever you go. Like that lace underwear following you everywhere because your girlfriend clicked on it. Or like those sneaky porn dating site ads that appears every time you browse internet, just because your boyfriend once clicked on that twerking video.
We, the three cofounders of IPowerMe, have previously worked on the corporations side, where personal data is used primarily to show ads to the users. We did not like that. We wanted to be on the side of the user, and that is how IPowerMe was created. We wanted to enable users to benefit from their own data. Rather than giving it away for somebody else to earn a fortune.
Who are we?
We are three co-founders all with background in data-science, one UX designer and one FrontEnd developer. Spanning 3 continents. Composed of 50% magicians and 50% PhDs.
What have we done so far?
- We pitched at the world's largest airline hackathon (programming competition) organized by IATA (International Air Transport Association), first they said wow. Then they said WOW. Then they crowned us the Winners.
- We have a functioning app prototype. All the back end is in place (i.e. everything which happens after you push a button in an app)
- The front end is still in progress (i.e. everything you see in the app)
- We are in talks with different airlines. They are interested, but are waiting for us to have a high number of users in order to come on board
- We are working on marketing: from our website (https://ipower.me) to social media campaign to here (Kickstarter)
- We are in talks with different investors waiting for the results of the marketing campaign
What are we asking for?
All we need is you! Yes, you, the one reading. Why? "Bring us users and we will give them personalized offers" said an Airline executive after we presented him the idea behind IPowerMe.
So if you want to see IPowerMe in the app store near you, pledge a dollar. In this way you will help us get airlines onboard. Of course we need money to turn our prototype into a fully functioning app, run servers etc. But since the number of users is what plays the biggest role here, it is better if you get 50 of your friends to chip 1$ rather than you pledging 50$ (we will not say no but the more the merrier - pun intended).
Looking at the bigger picture, you will be part of the first important step towards the less-useless-ads world where we are the ones benefiting from our personal data. So jump onboard, traveller!
Risks and challenges
Airlines' feedback so far is positive, what is missing to convert positive feedback to get on board is numbers. We expect that numbers will be enough, but it could not be, simply because the IPowerMe-approach is new and disrupting- i.e. very different. And for companies which existed a long time with the standard marketing strategy it can be perceived as a big leap.
We do not believe it is a risk for the airlines, because interfacing with IPowerMe or standard marketing is not an "either/or"-case.
Our technical solution is built with scalabilty at the core, so jumping from 10k to 1M users is not a very big deal/challenge.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (60 days)