Customize & 3D Print Your Favorite Game Characters
Customize & 3D Print Your Favorite Game Characters
Out of the screen and into your hands...customize and 3D print your favorite game characters with our web and mobile app!
Out of the screen and into your hands...customize and 3D print your favorite game characters with our web and mobile app! Read more
"... a platform for everyone from 3D animators through to game developers and dedicated toy companies..." Jon Fingas ENGADGET
“What makes Sandboxr unique is how users experience some of the creative flexibility a professional animator does...And, unlike the animators at movie studios, Sandboxr customers don’t have to learn complicated modeling software.” Joseph Flaherty - WIRED
"Sandboxr lets users pose, scale, accessorize, and print character models uploaded by artists, animators, and game developers." Kimber Streams - THE VERGE
Digging a Little Deeper: What is Sandboxr?
We made Sandboxr for you. Virtually anyone of any age can easily customize and 3D print their favorite game characters. You can change poses, manipulate facial expressions, add accessories, interact with other characters, -anything else your imagination may come up with. Once you're happy with your virtual creation, you can order a personalized 3D print of it. Its that simple! A platform for everyone—from professional artists and game developers to amateur video game fans.
Part 1: App
Traditionally, 3D design is expensive, highly-complex, and comes with a steep learning curve. The majority of people out there just do not have access to the necessary expertise. We’re here to change that. 3D design and animation are fun, and we’ve found a way to make them easy enough for even young kids to enjoy—and we think their technologically-challenged parents just might have some fun, too.
We could try to explain how this all works, but it’s so much cooler to just show it. Keep in mind this is not an animation or a prototype. It’s real, it’s working, and it’s a ton of fun. Enjoy!
Part 2: Printing
3D printing is one of the coolest technologies on the planet, but it can be a little difficult to understand at first. We like to describe 3D printing as “custom manufacturing,” which means you get a physical, one-of-a-kind object in your hands when you're done.
Here’s what the Sandboxr 3D printing process looks like:
- You customize your creation in our web or mobile app.
- When you're done... We print it!
- Your one-of-a-kind, 3-dimensional, tangible souvenir is delivered right to your door.
Check out some of our favorite creations that we have seen come from our app, through our printers, and into our hands.
Learn more about our rewards, we have three kinds:
1. PHYSICAL REWARDS
2. DIGITAL REWARDS
3. and COMBOS
PHYSICAL REWARD DETAILS:
1. With our web or mobile app, use parts from our libraries -or upload your own 3D artwork- and make your unique creation!
2. Submit your creation for print, your "print queue" position determines how soon your creation will be printed.
3. Get a knock on your door, delivery person hands you your unique Sandboxr creation.
4. Friends become Jealous.
DIGITAL REWARD DETAILS:
1. Get early access to our web and/or mobile apps.
2. Make cool creations from our 3D content libraries OR upload your own artwork.
3. Share with your friends!
NOTE: You can start ordering 3D prints once our Kickstarter campaign has ended.
The Sandboxr Experience for Brands and Artists:
Yep, Sandboxr is also a merchandising platform, enabling artists and brands to market their 3D artwork, content, and characters to the world. In Sandboxr, content creators have control over how their storefront is branded and how their art is used and printed. If you’re a content creator, learn how Sandboxr can help you deliver your 3D art to the masses.
(By the way, if you haven't checked out Supervillain Studios' Tower Wars, you are doing yourself a great disservice, my good sir or madam! We have printed a ton of content from that game and it looks spectacular. You can check out their stuff here: Tower Wars, Supervillain Studios)
“Can I Log On and Use Sandboxr Now?”
To date we have only allowed content creators into our Sandboxr app, but with the launch of our Kickstarter campaign we are opening it up to Kickstarter backers like you.
Starting in April all Kickstarter backers will have access to Sandboxr. This will be a super exciting stage because it’s when we give general users access to the app for the very first time. You won’t have to be a content creator or a professional 3D artist to benefit, just be a Kickstarter backer to guarantee your access to Sandboxr before anyone else. Kickstarter backers and invited content creators will have access a few months before we move to our next release phase scheduled for mid-year 2013.
Why a Kickstarter Campaign?
We know that even if we had the most mind-blowing 3D app (which, of course, we believe we do), without enough printers to manufacture all of your amazing creations the Sandboxr experience would suffer. We know you’ll want to own your creations right away, and we are committed to bringing those creations to your door without delay. The challenge for Sandboxr is to keep up with your demand, and in order for us to do that we need more printers.
The printers that facilitate the Sandboxr experience are the world's leading commercial-grade, full-color 3D printers… and dude, they are expensive! With Kickstarter funding we will be able to acquire at least one more full-color 3D printer (and hopefully many more!). This will help us handle the inevitable demand created just from our Kickstarter campaign. As we approach—and hopefully surpass—our initial goal, we’ll keep you updated with exciting stretch goals. The more we raise, the better we can serve the future Sandboxr community.
This is your chance: whether you just want to get in and play with the app, or you want to be one of the first people in the world to receive a Sandboxr 3D print, we have a pledge for you. It’s time to get back in the sandbox!
Sandboxr is made up of a small group of talented and dedicated designers, programmers and business professionals based in Salt Lake City, Utah and headed by Berkley Frei, TJ Young, and Nick Schulz.
The Installation Plan
1. Project Funded.
2. April: Additional 3D Printer(s) Ordered; Sandboxr open to Kickstarter backers; Prints can be purchased immediately from website by Kickstarter backers.
3. From May into the future: Sandboxr is able to expand our order fulfillment capabilities significantly with our additional 3D Printer(s) installed and running.
Note: Your Sandboxr Rewards will begin to be distributed on April 8th.
We are going to keep you up-to-date through the entire month of March and into April. It’s going to be an exciting ride for us—and hopefully for you as well. You can follow our progress here:
Check back here for updates.
If you have any questions that we haven't answered above, please contact us directly.
Risks and challenges
Sandboxr has been in development for over three years with a top-notch production staff. Operational protocols and business practices are set in place to accommodate our rapid but steady growth. With your support, Sandboxr will be able to acquire the necessary equipment and supplies to accommodate worldwide orders at an unprecedented rate.
However, as we acquire more 3D printers we can foresee the following risks and challenges:
1. Delivery of printers delayed: Industrial size 3D printers are expensive to manufacture, and as such there can be lengthy waiting times before they can be shipped. We have made arrangements with our providers establishing acquisition timelines for all supplies and materials necessary to accommodate anticipated Kickstarter orders.
2. Delay in installation and setup: We have a well-trained technical staff and do not anticipate delays due to installation issues. If there are unforeseen technical delays with installation of new machinery and software, or with the training of additional staff, they will be dealt with immediately.
3. Manufacturing and distribution delays: The process of creating 3D prints, from order to delivery, may be delayed. We have a sound ramp up strategy, and although we do not anticipate delays, any distribution times longer than the norm would be temporary, and handled immediately.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)