Same Thread is an ethical lifestyle brand that is designed and manufactured by women for women. All of our items are handmade in the Northern Thailand region of Isaan by amazingly talented female artisans. We strive to utilize modern, on trend design alongside the beautiful textile work that is the hallmark of this region.
Same Thread was founded in 2014 by Katie Metzger and Danielle Neufeld after a research trip to Southeast Asia focusing on aftercare practices for survivors of the Thai sex industry. Their research culminated in the region of Isaan, where it is estimated that up to 80% of all Thai prostitutes originate. Isaan is one of the most economically unstable regions of Thailand where various cultural and historical issues have perpetuated a pervasive cycle of prostitution.
After spending two months researching the sex industry in Thailand, Katie and Danielle were inspired to help provide creative alternatives to sex work for vulnerable women. By providing lucrative, stable employment to women in Isaan, Same Thread is striving to help break the cycle of sex work in Thailand. By supporting Same Thread you are directly impacting the lives of women through economic empowerment.
We envision a world where ethically made clothing is not a luxury, and being paid a living wage is not a privilege. Through partnering together, we believe that both consumer and manufacturer can co-create ethical progress in the fashion industry.
- We believe in freedom of choice for both consumer and manufacturer.
- We believe in the inherent right of all people to freedom, love, safety, shelter, sustenance and the pursuit of self-actualization.
- We believe that all people are entitled to be paid a living wage and to work in a dignified environment.
- We believe that empowering women economically can change families and communities for the better.
- We believe that choosing to buy clothing makes us partially responsible for how the clothing was made.
- We believe that participating in the fashion industry does not have to mean perpetuating an oppressive system.
- We believe that fashion is a valid way of expressing not only individuality and creativity but of expressing beliefs and empathy.
Risks and challenges
As Same Thread is a new start up that operates both in the United States and Thailand, there are several unique challenges we face: international production, overseas shipping, and developing new systems and procedures. We are working to ensure that our challenges do not lead to delays by consulting with professionals who specialize in social business and local Thai professionals. Will be diligent in our communication to our backers regarding any additional challenges or risks to our project that would impact our estimated production time frame.
**Video editing and production by Jon Jamieson. Music in Video: "Never Forget", by Peterloo Massacre; http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/legalcodeLearn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (29 days)