Split Lip is written by Sam Costello and drawn by artists from all over the world. Influences include Shirley Jackson and Clive Barker, Junji Ito and Emily Carroll, ghost stories, folk tales and murder ballads.
Split Lip is weird fiction. Weird fiction incorporates horror, but is more focused on strangeness and being unsettling than splattering pages with gore.
I started Split Lip in Oct. 2006 because I wanted to make comics like the weird fiction and thoughtful horror movies I love. Since then, we've published 45 stories, 6 books, and 8 comics.
Split Lip has been praised by comics and horror critics:
- "The best horror anthology on the Internet." -Comics Should Be Good
- "Stark, gritty, and unflinching." -Rue Morgue
- Best Webcomic winner -Horror Comic Awards, 2014
- "The webcomics answer to anthology series like The Twilight Zone and Night Gallery." -io9
- "The only (webcomic) to ever give me the chills." -The Webcomic Overlook
- Hardcover, 6x9 inches
- approx. 350 pages
- Signed and numbered by series creator/writer, Sam Costello
- 13 comics from the series' first 10 years (5 remastered comics)
- Cover gallery, including rare titles
- 50+ pages of new material, featuring:
- New commentary on every story by Sam Costello
- Behind-the-scenes materials on every story
- Interviews with artists
- Essays by Sean T. Collins (Rolling Stone) and Lauren Davis (io9).
Every Split Lip story is self-contained. That means the book is for readers who have been with Split Lip since the beginning or are discovering it for the first time.
Read the first 55 pages NOW! Download PDF here or check out this art:
Split Lip is creator owned, so every artist who draws a Split Lip story receives:
- A pagerate
- Royalties from sales of books, comics, and downloads
- A percentage of website ad revenue
- Shared copyright/ownership of their story
- Shared income for any non-comics uses of their story/characters.
For the Kickstarter, the artists also receive:
- A royalty on every book/download
- Payment for art rewards, where supplied.
What kind of horror is this? Split Lip offers dangerous stories for curious minds. That means the stories are scary because of ideas and situations. It cares about characters and their emotional lives. It's more interested in the dark secrets hidden by those closest to us than in violence or gore. You'll probably like Split Lip if you like:
- the darker episodes of The Twilight Zone
- weird, dark fiction
- horror that makes you think.
If this was a movie, what rating would it get? Most stories rely on suspense and disturbing ideas, so the book is nearly PG-13. That said, there is some violence and blood, and a little nudity. Given that, ultimately it would get an R.
I haven't read Split Lip before. Can I start here? Absolutely. Split Lip has no ongoing plot or characters and every story is self-contained. You can read this without reading another Split Lip story. Everything will make sense.
I’m an artist. Can I get involved? This book is strictly for already-published stories. That said, I'm always working on new stories and looking for new artists. Check out the website. If you think your work is a good fit, drop me a line.
Will the book be available after the Kickstarter? I'm printing as close to orders as possible. There may be a few copies left after fulfillment. The digital version of the book will be available at comiXology and other digital-download stores.
Will the book be reprinted? No. The books printed for this Kickstarter are the only copies of this book that will ever be produced.
Why is overseas shipping so expensive? I know. I'm sorry. The problem is the size/weight of the book and the uncertainty of shipping rates around the world. A 350-page hardcover is pretty heavy.
Learn more about Split Lip, Sam Costello, and this project in these interviews:
- Sam Costello Gathers Ten Years of Horror For The ‘Split Lip’ Anthology Kickstarter @ComicsAlliance
- FOG! Chats With ‘Split Lip’ Writer Sam Costello About His Kickstarter @Forces of Geek
- Still Bloody After All These Years: Sam Costello Celebrates a Decade of ‘Split Lip’ with a Kickstarter Limited Edition @Broken Frontier
- “A horror comic is like a delicate piece of music” writer Sam Costello on the subtleties of scaring people in the Split Lip Horror Comics Anthology @Pipedream Comics
- Kickstart the Week(end) with What Lies Inside: The 10th Anniversary Split Lip @Comic Frontline
- Music in video: "Sopor," by Kai Engel, via Free Music Archive CC/Attribution
- Image in video title card by Trevor Denham
- Book image: Douglas Draper, Jr.
Risks and challenges
The risks to this project are relatively low. Here's why:
All the comics are complete. All of the extras are assembled. All of the pre-press and layout is done. I’ve even gotten a few proofs. All that's left to do is print the book.
That said, I see two primary risks:
1. Printing. There could be shipping and delivery delays, and unforeseen printing disasters.
2. Fulfillment. I'll be fulfilling the project myself, so it could take slightly longer than expected to deliver all rewards.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (39 days)