Eight months ago we launched the Solarcan on Kickstarter. The world's first commercially available Solargraphy camera. The campaign was a huge success with almost 2000 Solarcans pledged for. Within 2 months we'd manufactured and shipped every pledge to countries all over the world ready for installation and capturing the Sun's rays. ￼
In the intervening time a community developed online via Instagram & Twitter where members shared images captured with their Solarcan and helped each other out. Seeing the results first hand coming from the community has been a real privilege. Here's just a small selection:
Kickstarter's ' MAKE 100 ' initiative
For Kickstarter's 'Make 100' initiative this year we want to use the opportunity to reach a goal that will allow Solarcan to move to the third phase of production: Retail packaging. ￼
The plan is to run a short campaign and sell 100 limited edition Solarcans via our community. The funding will enable us to commission a designer to come up with some punchy packaging worthy of a science museum gift shop.
From the very beginning our goal has been to educate on the fundamentals of photography, astronomy and art. By creating a retail version of Solarcan we'll reach the people we may have missed through the appropriate retail outlets.
In addition to the retail packaging a handy sized 'zine' will be produced and included with every Solarcan. ￼
This will include sections on:
- How to install your Solarcan, with examples
- How your Solarcan works
- How to retrieve your Solarcan
- Using software to edit your Solarcan image
- Example images from the community
- What to do with your Solarcan afterwards
- An FAQ page
- Maybe a joke or two.
So down to the nitty gritty. What will you get if you pledge to help us achieve phase 3? ￼
We're keeping things simple. You'll get one of the first 100 complete retail packaged Solarcans produced. The real satisfaction however will be knowing you're responsible for helping bring Solarcan to market and setting alight the minds of curious people the world over.
Risks and challenges
How will we spend your pledge?
- A designer commissioned to work on the external retail packaging and colour instruction booklet.
- Manufacturing your Solarcan
- Shipping costs
- Fees and processing
What we still need to do:
- Agree on design work for both retail packaging and booklet
- Source a reputable supplier for printing instruction booklets
- Professional solution to apply external packaging to manilla tube
Can you trust us?
- In April last year we promised to manufacture and ship up to 1000 Solarcans, depending on how many pledges we received.
- It turned out our goal was surpassed by 1000%
- We manufactured and shipped every order within 2 months.
- We're still here now.
- (15 days)