WHAT IS BOH?
BOH is a unique retro-style dungeon-crawler for AmigaOS, AROS, Linux, MacOS, and Windows. The game is already complete and digitally available for purchase from itch.io (where you can find also plenty of additional information and free demos to try the game yourself).
As a quick introduction, here are some screenshots...
... a gameplay video (of a previous version, though)...
... and the music from the 6 themes (audiovisual skins):
THE DEVELOPMENT IS COMPLETE: THEN WHY THIS?
The original version of BOH was released in 2009, and it came as a professionally-produced package.
The game was born out passion and, in fact, it kept on being worked on for the following 9 years, receiving 18 free updates. The game has grown and improved so much, both feature- and content-wise, that it deserves a tag (ADVANCE) and a physical package of its own. Also, the physical package is intended to be the grand closing of the development life of the game.
Therefore, one objective of this campaign is producing the BOH ADVANCE package - another shrink-wrapped DVD box with stylish inlay, glass-master replicated CD, and beautiful 24 pages color manual.
The source materials have already been prepared, so all that's left to do is handing them over to the factory for the production of the copies.
But there's more: the other objective of this campaign is producing a deluxe package that puts together both the BOH ADVANCE package and the original BOH package in a gorgeous box.
A few prototypes have already been produced to check the final quality and make adjustments for the actual production run - the result is absolutely amazing (to see the photos in higher resolution, check out the BOH album on Facebook).
WHAT'S THE LOGIC BEHIND THE REWARDS?
The rewards have been defined to meet anyone's needs at the lowest cost possible:
* the Base Package is for who only wants a BOH ADVANCE copy;
* the Plus Package is for who already owns an original BOH copy and wants to have a Deluxe Package without buying another original BOH copy;
* the Deluxe Package is for who wants it all.
Moreover, the pledges amounts have been kept close to €5 and no reward without a copy of BOH ADVANCE has been defined to ensure that most/all of the copies produced will end up in someone's hands - wouldn't it be a pity if many copies gathered dust in a storage room?
HOW HAVE THE COSTS BEEN CALCULATED?
The campaign goal (€1500) has been set according to the costs for 300 copies (the minimum quantity for an industrial production run), which amount to about €1315.15.
* the fees (€165) have been calculated as 5% (Kickstarter) + 5% + 300 * 0.05 (payments, assuming that most/all of the pledges are under €10);
* the other slice (€184.85) is a margin to cover fuel costs, mailing labels (printing), and extra expenses (e.g. failed payments, lost items, etc.);
* the original BOH copies don't affect the calculations as they come from the original production run;
* the packing peanuts that the bags will be filled with don't affect the calculations as a large quantity of Flo-Pak peanuts is already available.
HOW HAS THE DELIVERY DATE BEEN SET?
July 2018 has been set under the assumption that the number of backers is about 300, and according to this timeline:
Times have been calculated with appropriate margins:
* the money transfer from Kickstarter should take only a few days (counted as 1 week);
* the production of the packages will take 10 days (counted as 2 weeks); about 5 more days will be needed to receive the obligatory seals from the Italian copyright collecting agency (counted as 1 week); 1 more week has been added for the delivery;
* the production of the boxes will take 8 days; the factory is just 20 km away, so the delivery will most probably take only 1 day; in all, 2 weeks have been considered;
* the shipments will begin as soon as the items are received; considering that 100 of them should take less than 2 hours at the post office, they should take only a few days (counted as 2 weeks);
* the deliveries to the end users will take a variable amount of time depending on the destination; most of the items should be received in June; in the worst case (shipment done after 2 weeks, delivery takes 1+ months), the item should be delivered in the second half of July.
Risks and challenges
This is my first Kickstarter campaign, and the whole project is a one-man effort, so I decided to keep things as simple as possible to minimize troubles.
The fact that all the source materials are ready and that only the production of the physical items needs to be done reduces the risks. The only risks I can think of are related to the production and shipping of the items (defects and delays), but those don't depend on me - and you can be sure that, if anything happens, I'll tackle it as quickly as possible - keeping you posted in the meanwhile.
Should the backers be more than 300, the only thing that changes is that shipments will take proportionally longer (but the 2 weeks allocated in the timeline should suffice for many shipments). To avoid unfair delays due to a very large amount of pledges, the number of rewards have been limited.
The main challenge was keeping costs low so that the pledge values were low as well. To achieve that, I have basically excluded profits and obtained quotes from tens of companies for the production and the shipping of the items.
In particular, regarding shipping, I have contacted many couriers and talked with the Italian postal service (https://www.poste.it) to obtain favourable conditions given the high amount of shipments, but they either can't make deals with private individuals or their fees were too high. Eventually, I decided to go for registered letters, as they are tracked, require the recipient's signature, and are reliable (in the past, not one of the hundreds of copies of BOH that have been sent was lost).
To keep the shipping fees low, the items will be enclosed in air-bubbles-lined bags, with additional padding provided by packing peanuts and/or other materials.
I have defined the shipping fees by country according to the tables at https://www.poste.it/prodotti/raccomandata.html (for Italy) and https://www.poste.it/prodotti/raccomandata-internazionale.html (for the rest of the world).
That said, unfortunately the shipping fees end up weighing on the final cost more than the items themselves (which is, after all, a consequence of the inexpensiveness of the items) - but there's nothing I can do about that - sorry.
- (28 days)