Congratulations: you’re a mage.
Fresh out of college with a degree in the arcane, you've made your childhood dream come true by gaining admittance to the Trillian, a renowned league of arena battle mages, where the brightest young magical talents duke it out every week for money, fame, and bragging rights.
As you tangle with the Trillian’s big personalities--an uptight genius, a hot-headed would-be rival, a handsome haloed jock, and more--you’ll uncover a mystery stretching back decades, and you might just find love while you’re at it.
Wanna try it?
Seventh Circle features...
- 7 independent character routes adding up to 15 hours of gameplay, including a larger narrative told across all game paths designed for multiple play-throughs
- Sometimes emotional, sometimes hilarious, and always character-driven storytelling that you’ll want to come back to. An eclectic, well-rounded cast with a range of personalities and genders, so there’s someone for everyone
- The ability to name the player character and select their pronouns rather than select their gender
- An RPG-like choice between three schools of magic for the player character, which affects certain story elements and plot lines
- Availability for both Mac and PC platforms
- Backgrounds and sprites by Becca Farrow, and unlockable art from a bevy of incredible creators including Naomi Franquiz, Paulina Ganucheau, Arielle Jovellanos, Little Corvus, Ryan M., Punziella, and Michelle Wong
What is Rock Candy?
Rock Candy Games is the indie studio started by writer Anne Camlin and illustrator Becca Farrow. Seventh Circle is our debut project, and it represents just the kind of content we’re looking to bring you through our partnership: fun, romantic, exciting, and inclusive stories through gaming. We want to make Seventh Circle for people like us, because if you think there are enough queer- and trans-friendly games in the world, you haven’t been paying attention.
ANNE CAMLIN (right) is a writer based in New York City. She published her debut novel, Young Magic, in installments online, and has had comics and prose work featured by Lucky Juice Press and Sparkler Magazine. Her #GameLife has been dominated by RPGs and, more recently, a heck of a lot of shooters, but she is excited to return to her romance roots with Seventh Circle.
BECCA FARROW (left) is an illustrator currently working out of Madison, WI, where she drinks gallons of hot chocolate and tries not to freeze too badly. She has worked with several large companies including BOOM! Studios, IDW Publishing, and Marvel Entertainment. She has been obsessed with storytelling for as long as she can remember and wants nothing more than to help others experience the same joy she gets from a really, really good story.
The funds from the Seventh Circle kickstarter will go toward…
- The production costs of reward merchandise, which includes prints, pins, a patch (designed by the inimitable Jack Gross), and an art book showcasing work from the game
- Shipping costs for rewards -- yes, these are included in our goal, and they are built into the pledge you give. Meaning you pay what you pledge, and nothing more
- Paying our guest artists and consultants a fair rate for their contributions
- Hiring a composer, meaning Seventh Circle will have its own original soundtrack
- Rock Candy’s basic business needs, like web hosting and fulfillment services
- Paying the creators (that’s us, Anne and Becca!) enough to live while Seventh Circle is in development, so we can put in the many necessary hours it takes to create a game of this scale
So what do I get out of this?
We've created rewards for backers at every tier, designed by Becca unless otherwise stated. That means we've got MERCH: enamel pins, a patch, prints, an art book. Rewards for upper tiers include commissions and having your name included in the game as an easter egg.
And the best part? THE SHIPPING IS FREE, to anywhere in the world!
We've got extra incentives, stretch goals to be revealed along the way. Our stretch goals up to $35,000 of funding:
Higher stretch goals will be revealed as the campaign goes on. We've got so much to share!
Wanna keep up with Rock Candy and Seventh Circle?
The best way to keep an eye on the campaign is to check out our social media, either on Twitter or Tumblr. There we'll be sharing character bios, WIPs, and other awesome content as the campaign goes on.
Risks and challenges
You've probably heard about some crowdfunding campaign that hit its goal, only to have the creator vanish. It happens, especially with big projects where there's a lot left to be done.
Here's what's different about Seventh Circle: we've put our names, social media profiles, and professional bios all over this thing, because it's our business and we take it seriously. We want you to know who we are, because we want you to know that by backing this project you're supporting independent queer creators, making content that will positively impact our community. We produced our demo to show you that we're ready to deliver.
Between the two of us, we have years of experience in coding, illustration, scriptwriting, fundraising, and merchandise design and distribution. Becca makes her living drawing, designing, and attending conventions. Anne has a degree in writing and has been coding for ten years. We have both reduced other professional commitments in order to focus on Rock Candy and Seventh Circle. We aren't going anywhere.
We're expecting the unexpected, of course, but we are more than equipped to handle bumps in the road. We've budgeted for consultants to assist us in aspects of making and distributing the game where we might lack the necessary experience. We've also budgeted salaries for ourselves, which can be transferred to another writer, artist, or programmer in the event one of our devs can't complete the game. Any delays in the completion of the game or the delivery of rewards will be communicated to backers in a timely, transparent manner.
Also, we love you.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)