How are you? We’re doing well, thanks for asking. You’re looking, um… good? You can barely even notice the scars anymore. Anyhow, with pleasantries out of the way, I suppose we should get down to “brass tacks.”
We here at the Sad Bastard Book Club are looking to record a new full-length album. Our plan (in a highly over-simplified, back of a napkin type form) is this:
1) Rent a cabin in the woods in the dead of winter.
2) Fill said cabin to the bursting point with instruments, various noisemakers, recording gear, and the people (for both their body heat and talent) to utilize those items.
3) Emerge five days later with 10 loud, doomy, folky, latiny songs (it makes sense when you hear it) about biological geography, dislocation, familial dread, and (just the slightest glimmer of) hope.
4) Mix and master that set of songs.
5) Hand letterpress boxes for the CDs and create a hand bound booklet for all the lyrics and other writing to go along with it.
Easy peasy, right?
Well, it would be if we had that little thing called money. But that’s why we are here, hat in hand, asking for your help. And we assume you are looking at this to suss out if we are worth your patronage. We would (egotistically) like to believe we are. But, since we don’t believe in anything coming our way for free, if you are willing to donate some of your money to our project, we’d be willing… hell, we’d be thrilled, to shower you with both our undying love (seriously, it’s immortal) and handmade gifts to show our appreciation. And if you are more of the “get your hands dirty” type, we’ve got an option for you as well.
If you're curious as to where the money will be going, here are our major expenses:
-mastering the CD
-creation of plates for the letterpress
-materials for the covers and the books
-the cabin rental (we're going to cover what we can to get started)
To hear some of the stripped down, no frills (no drums) demo versions of a few of these songs, please check out our myspace page. And to find more information about the Sad Bastard Book Club and its various projects, please refer to our website.
We sincerely look forward to bumming you out soon.
The Sad Bastard Book Club
- (39 days)