Darwin’s On the Origin of Species: A Picture Book Adaptation
Evolution by natural selection is one of the best ideas in science. It explains an incredibly wide range of biological facts. But it is taught in a dry and confusing manner in school. Many people don't really understand Darwin's theory. Some don't even believe in Evolution.
In 1831, Darwin embarked on a five-year survey voyage around the world on the HMS Beagle. In 1859, he published On the Origin of Species where he describes his findings. The book is still a bestseller on websites like Amazon, despite the fact that it was written 150 years ago.
A new study suggests that introducing the topic early to children using pictures and stories promotes better understanding later in school (Gopnik, A., 2014. Teaching Tots Evolution via Picture Books - WSJ). I would like to create a picture book adaptation that will explain Darwin's theory in an engaging and accessible style. A picture book is a perfect medium for conveying complex ideas to children - minimal text works together with imagery to carry the meaning along.
Who is it for?
The book is suitable for kids from 4-12 years old. I believe such book will be enjoyed by grownups too. It will help you introduce Darwin's theory to your child, inspire them and spark interest in science. It can be a coffee table book, a valuable gift or a pretty addition to your bookshelf.
I have created a small prototype with a cover image and few spreads. The images received overwhelmingly positive comments on social media. People mentioned they would buy the book (even those who were not much interested in the subject matter). I think a beautiful book can awaken our curiosity.
1. Animated movie. My daughters love the animated trailer I created for the book. If we reach 500 backers, I will create a short animated movie (10-15 min) adaptation to accompany the book (as part of the digital rewards that backers will receive).
2. Coloring + Activity books. If we reach 1000 backers the downloadable coloring pages and activity sheets will be developed further into two printed books to accompany the main picture book. The activity book will have mini lessons on evolution and engaging activities for different ages. The coloring book will have 32 gorgeous, detailed drawings to color. This reward will be shipped with all the printed books!
1. Each book comes with:
- A downloadable Evolution lesson plan, perfect for home schooling.
- Printable coloring pages - fun for kids and adults (as art therapy)
- Printable activity sheets to keep kids engaged with the material.
2. A custom portrait illustration for $500+ backers.
Your child will be delighted with a colorful illustration that depicts them in a setting from the book. The illustration will look great as an art print for the child's room and a wonderful keepsake.
3. Share on social media about this project and download a cute mini calendar 2017!
Click on the button below to share and download:
To finish this project I need your help! The funding goal covers the minimum expenses to make and print such a book:
- Hiring a writer to help me adapt the text
- Printing cost
- Countless cups of coffee to sustain me illustrating late at night while my two kids sleep!
If the project is funded successfully, books will start shipping latest in August 2017.
About The Author
Sabina is a graphic designer, art director, and illustrator, based in Oxford UK. She turned to a creative career after graduating MA in Molecular Biology. Passionate about teaching design classes. Founder of The Ink Nest, a popular website for stock graphics. She loves projects that combine science and art.
Thank you! Please spread the word and help this project!
Risks and challenges
Illustrating a book is challenging and takes time. I need 5-6 months to finish the project while caring for my kids, studying for an MA in illustration and working as a freelancer! I have a lot on my plate but I am very passionate about this project.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (60 days)