- REACHED! $8,000 • Adventure Series! We'll build an adventure series that will lead you and your group through your first major milestone! See this update for details, and for information on how this changes the Aristocrat adventure series.
- REACHED! $9,000 • World Supplement! This will include information on the four nations, their lands, capital cities and major personalities. We'll also include bestiaries for each nation! You'll be able to play games of Jadepunk in lands outside of Kausao City. Do you want to barter with desert nomads in the lands of the Naramel? Sail between the islands of the Kaiumi? Become involved in the political intrigues of Aerum's sky cities? Or learn from the Túyang's best jade alchemists? This world supplement will give you everything you need to do all that and more!
- REACHED! $10,000 • Jadetech Expansion! We're going to have rules for building Jadetech devices using the core colors of jade (green, blue, red, white, black) in the core book. This expansion will delve deeper into what jade does in the setting. To example locations where the different colors can be found, the effects each color has had on history, the successes and failures at attempts to create synthetic jade, and rules on the ultra-rare multicolored jade! We'll even throw in a scenario to get you started on a campaign as Jade Smugglers!
- REACHED! $12,000 • The Martial Expansion! Up until now, we've focused a lot on the 'punk side of Jadepunk. This expansion will see us delve more into the wuxia side of the setting. We'll detail the different martial arts styles of the various lands, their core techniques, histories, and the influence of jade on the combative arts. We'll also cover mass combat rules for you to play out large scale conflicts using ground troops, naval warfare and airship armadas!
Jadepunk is a Fate Core roleplaying game setting that combines elements of wuxia and steampunk.
The world in which Kausao City rests has no access to many natural resources, such as crude oil or ingredients to make gunpowder. In their place, refined mystic jade provides power and utility to mechanical devices known as "Jadetech". These devices are responsible for all manner of technology, from the gunslinger's red jade six-shooting pistol to the alchemist's green jade tattoo of protection and airships that don't sail on the sea, but on the very wind itself!
A corrupt governor rules over the internationally-owned Kausao region, discovered a century ago to possess the largest deposits of jade in the world - and the only known location where the rare and powerful black jade can be found. Together with his Council of Nine, the governor rules the city with an iron fist.
The Council of Nine has the final say in policies concerning the city but their only concern is for the economic well-being of the nation they hail from, and the governor has been very fair in the distribution of wealth among the aristocratic class of all nations, ensuring a long career as governor.
The common people suffer under such oppressive rule, working long shifts in the city or slaving away in the jade mines. The rich are getting richer, while the poor live in destitution and debt to corrupt city officials. Muffled cries of desperation call for someone to champion their cause.
What Will Players Do?
Players in Jadepunk take control of rebellious individuals, rising up to defend the weak and fight the oppression in Kausao City. Incredibly proficient in various skill sets, and armed with customized Jadetech devices, you will join the Jianghu as a freedom fighter and rebel against city officials, stop plots by the evil Council of Nine, and protect the weak against the city's criminal underworld.
The primary Jadepunk: Tales From Kausao City roleplaying game is built with a combination of elements from the Fate Core and Fate Accelerated roleplaying game systems. It is a fully featured setting and Fate Core rulebook. Everything you need to have an adventure in Kausao City will be contained in the core book.
Special rules unique to Jadepunk include:
• Dueling mechanics based on the Fate Core contest rules that are quick and brutal, usable for gunfights, martial arts contests, or a mixture of the two.
• Asset creation that combines stunts and extras together with the create advantage action, streamlining character creation, allowing for temporary stunts and extras to be created in play, and giving equal importance to Jadetech devices, personal skills (stunts) and companion characters.
• Story-driven character creation that borrows from traditional phases, but is more focused, leading players through a process of aspect crafting.
• And professions that run a middle point between skills and approaches. They keep things broad, but each one has a detailed description (like Fate Core skills), determining appropriate actions to inform decisions in play.
Other Editions of the Game
All backers of the Initiate tier and above will receive digital copies of the World and Cortex Plus editions of the game. These are full game books that include everything you need to play the game.
(These editions are only available as digital products at this time, the tiers with physical books are for the Fate Core edition only.)
These editions will begin production once the Fate Core draft is complete, but we don't have a definite completion date at this time.
World of Jadepunk • This edition will be based on the World engine made popular by Apocalypse World.
Cortex Plus • This edition will be constructed using the Cortex Plus Hacker's Guide.
We're excited to be able to bring this editions of the game to you, and can't wait to play test it ourselves!
What To Expect During This Kickstarter and Beyond
Updates: We won't be spamming your inboxes with meaningless messages. Our scheduled updates will be every Monday and Friday during the Kickstarter (the only other time you'll receive an update is when we hit a milestone, such as our funding goal). After the Kickstarter, this will drop to once a week updates via email.
The main draft is already underway. We anticipate completion in middle to late November. After that draft has been through an editing pass, we'll distribute it to our backers and let you contribute to the process by giving your opinions on Fate mechanical applications and catching what mistakes made it through the first editing pass.
As soon as we fund, we're going to continue with our art buys. That gives our artists four months to complete the work we have for them. With two artists in our stable, that should be plenty of time.
After the first draft has gone out, we're looking to complete all edits within two months. That puts us around the middle to late January.
Once that final draft is complete, we'll be handing it over to our layout designer. When he's finished with it, we'll begin distributing the digital product to our backers and send the completed work to the printers. Once we receive it back from them, it's off to your doorstep!
The World and Cortex Plus editions don't have definitive timelines. The short answer is: we'll begin work on them between drafts of the Fate Core edition. We are going to use the same, or a very similar, outline, setting material, art and layout. So the timeline for those editions will be condensed because of the front-loaded work done for the Fate Core edition, and should be out not long after the Fate Core edition, but we don't have a definitive timeline for them.
Want more information about what you'll get for backing this Kickstarter? Well, we'd hate to disappoint.
Every backer gets the opportunity to download the setting and rules primer that will help you get started in the world of Jadepunk and learn where we have deviated from the rules found in Fate Core.
At the initiate level, you'll receive a digital copy (DRM free .pdf) of the Fate Core, World of Jadepunk and Cortex Plus versions of the game, once it's finished. You'll also be given the opportunity to read early drafts of the documents and be listed in the book if you catch a mistake or a broken rule that we missed.
At the Tinkerer level, you'll get all the cool accessory items we have available. This has everything you could possibly need to play a game of Jadepunk: you get the digital copies of the books, plus a set of Fudge dice, 20 glass gems in various colors to use as fate points (they might look like mystic jade, and that wasn't an accident), and our Jadepunk Fate Core play mat.
The play mat is 18" x 24", double-sided on 80 lb. paper with an aqueous coating on both sides that works excellently with dry erase markers. The mechanics side of the play mat features Fate Core only rules, nothing specific to Jadepunk, which allows you to reuse it for all of your Fate Core and Fate Accelerated games!
At this tier, you'll receive the digital products available to the Initiate tier, plus a softcover copy of the finished book, which will ship before it is available in stores.
This tier provides you with the Gunslinger and Tinkerer tiers (a softcover copy with all the accessories). At this tier, you get a physical and digital copy of everything offered in the tiers below.
You'll also have the opportunity to be listed in the book as any reward tier title of Engineer and below (so you can select Gunslinger or Tinkerer, if you like).
This tier provides you with everything in the Tinkerer's set (.pdf, dice, play mat, fate point tokens), plus a limited edition, Kickstarter exclusive hardcover copy of the book.
You will also have the option of being listed in the book as any reward tier title of Enlightened Monk and below.
True royalty! This tier is only for the elite. We'll provide you with a signed hardcover copy of the book, the Tinkerer's package, and you'll receive an adventure campaign that is only available to Kickstarter backers at this tier. This campaign will take you and your group through your first major milestone in Kausao City.
In addition, you have the option of being listed in the book as any reward tier title you choose. But certainly you'll want to show off your nobility and be named an "Aristocrat", no?
Risks and challenges
The writers of Jadepunk are experienced game and fiction writers, but that doesn't mean problems can't crop up. Here are some potential problems we have anticipated and made strides to buffer against.
Creative Costs: Everyone on this project has an understudy, of sorts. There are two writers, two artists, and primaries and secondaries for the layout artist and editor. As unfortunate as it would be, if someone gets sick, injured or simply falls off the face of the planet, we have a backup that's already under contract for prices within our budget.
Production Costs: Similar to the creative costs, we want to make sure that we aren't depending on any single company to provide the services we require (except for the dice, for which we are relying upon the time-tested Grey Ghost Press). As such, all of our products have a back up that has been price checked and is ready to go.
We are dedicated to making an excellent product and are taking every step to ensure that our backers are getting the best possible quality with the lowest amount of risk. If there is something we missed that you are concerned about, please contact us and let us know. We'll be sure to address it.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)