Coolest production update
Hey Coolest Backers,
I hope this message finds you and your loved ones enjoying this amazing time of year!
The entire Coolest team is sending you and your family joyous wishes for a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
We also wanted to provide you an update on new features we’ve added for you, our new production schedule and when you should get your Coolest Cooler.
I think you’re going to love all the new features. I’ve spent months working on them to make your Coolest EVEN cooler. But as you know, adding any new features can slow manufacturing and delivery time, so please read this entire message for full details.
I apologize in advance for the long update, but I wanted to let you know about all our efforts and get you as much detail as we have before you head into the holidays.
Thanks again for your support. I’m forever grateful for the entire Kickstarter community’s support of my project. You guys are on my mind 24/7, especially during this time of year.
I’ve added upgrades and features to the Coolest — at no additional cost to you — that will absolutely make it a better product.
Many of these features were added at this community’s request, so I hope you love them as much as I do.
The challenge, of course, is that by adding features we also added more time to the design and manufacturing process. In the end, I chose to give you a better quality product even if it delayed some manufacturing and shipping times. I hope you’ll agree that was the smart choice, because here’s what you’re going to get (again, at no extra cost):
- Upgraded 20V Rechargable Lithium Battery. You asked for a more powerful battery, and we delivered. Our engineering team has upgraded our original NiMH battery to a rechargeable lithium polymer battery (LiPO) so it lasts longer, charges faster and works better with all our amazing features.
- Upgraded Custom Bluetooth Speaker. We’ve upgraded to our very own custom-made Bluetooth Outdoor Speaker with dual drivers, 5-watts, and a resonator plate for as much bass, volume and clarity as physics allow. Plus, our Bluetooth 4.0 Party Pairing® feature let’s you stream music from one phone to two speakers up to 30 feet apart!
- Upgraded Blender. The Coolest’s built-in, 20 volt ice-crushing blender will power through more than 6 gallons of blended goodness on a single charge.
- Upgraded Accessory Deck. Our original front panel left your phone and speaker exposed… Not any more! Now your speaker, phone, keys and wallet are safely secured and hidden from view in the Accessory Deck compartment.
- Upgraded Materials. We decided to upgrade most of the materials on the Coolest to be even more high quality for you, from upgraded tires, stronger stainless steel hinges, a new magnetic bottle cap catcher, and more.
- Upgraded Performance. We’ve run thousands of blend cycles optimizing the battery/motor/blender combination so it will work year after year and kick butt doing it. We’ve increased insulation and reduced rolling resistance. There isn’t a square inch of the Coolest that hasn’t been analyzed and engineered for performance.
Please understand upgrading all these things makes our product costs skyrocket, but you won’t be charged a single dime extra as one of our original backers.
In fact, The Coolest now has an estimated retail price of at least $399, but all of our Kickstarter backers get these upgrades at no extra cost.
Also, please understand doing all this is going to change our manufacturing and shipping timelines. It just takes time to do all this right for you, so all I can do is ask for your patience.
Since we’ve chosen to upgrade your Coolest as described above, again at no cost to you, it will change our original delivery estimations. Any way you slice it, producing this many Coolests at this level of upgrade and quality takes time. Especially because all of our suppliers were chosen not simply on cost, but on their proven capability of making quality products at high volume.
I had originally forecast a February shipping date based on a smaller production run (you might remember my original goal worked out to only 250 coolers, and we ended up at 62,642!). And of course that date was before we closed the Kickstarter and then decided to do all these new free upgrades for you.
We’ve spent months with all our suppliers - I think I’ve logged a kerbillion airline miles - and now that we have committed timelines from our manufacturing partners, we have a better picture of what’s possible at this volume and quality. We now believe we will start shipping Coolests in early summer 2015, probably July. There is still the possibility of shortening this timeline, and we may be able to ship some units earlier, but I wanted to give you our best estimate as of now.
Below is a high-level map of our work efforts until then. In January, we’ll post a more detailed page on our website for you, with regular updates on the nitty-gritty production process for those interested at that level.
What Else Should I Know?
We’re working with our manufacturing and fulfillment partners to determine the order of how/when the Coolests will ship to you. This Spring, you’ll receive your own color-coded group with expected delivery date. You’ll get color-coded updates specific to YOUR Coolest, and will even be able to track it in real time as it crosses the ocean to your doorstep. Again, with all the upgrades we’ve provided and the additional manufacturing time for those upgrades, we’re anticipating beginning Coolest shipping in Summer 2015.
I hope you’ll agree with my decision to upgrade our features and quality for our backers at no extra cost, and that the extra delivery time is well worth it in the end.
I also hope you know how much I appreciate your patience and support in this process. You guys made this campaign the #1 in Kickstarter history, so I just wanted to pour our success right back into building a better product for you.
Sorry, again, for the longer update here, but I wanted to provide full details for you.
If this new timeline frustrates anyone, believe me I know how you feel. I wanted to break another record and get this project made and delivered faster than anyone. I’ve learned a tremendous amount in the last several months, but the hardest lesson has been that highest-quality and record-breaking speed don’t go together. If you are frustrated or if you have specific questions, you can always reach us at email@example.com. For unfiltered discussion, debate, or just to share your thoughts with your fellow backers, you can always use our Kickstarter comments area right here.
That’s all for now.
Again, I’ll post more updates and details on our website in January.
Wishing you and your loved ones a cool, joyous and loving holiday season,