Supply chains create bizarre new landscapes like latent seawater & improbable oceans. So I made salt from them.
AS SEEN ON:
- THE ASSOCIATION OF AMERICAN GEOGRAPHERS ANNUAL MEETING THEME SESSION ON LANDSCAPE AS INFRASTRUCTURE (4/21)
- NICOLA TWILLEY'S EDIBLE GEOGRAPHY (5/1)
- WARREN ELLIS' ORBITAL OPERATIONS (5/10)
THE WORLD'S MOST INTERESTING SEA SALT
- FIRST IN CLASS PROCESS: I am small-batch, hand harvesting improbable seawater from the supply chain and micro-processing that seawater to produce improbable sea salts. Nobody has done this before. This is the very first 4th wave sea salt and I made it to push the salt industry in a new direction.
- SALT WITH A PEDIGREE: Trace minerals give bottled water and sea salts their flavor and their value. This new salt combines water and salt to produce a new trace mineral composition in the improbable sea salt. You can taste the difference.
- A NEW KIND OF GEOGRAPHY: Two ubiquitous commodities: bottled mineral water and sea salts produce new geographies - latent oceans that can only exist in the supply chain (try finding the New Zealand-Portuguese Ocean on a map...hint, it's not there).
TASTING THIS MICRO-BATCH CRAFT SALT IS A MULTI-SENSORY ART EXPERIENCE
- ENGAGE YOUR SENSE OF PLACE THROUGH YOUR MOUTH: This project started as a performance art project and I want to invite you to participate. By tasting these salts you'll get a multi-sensory experience in a bottle.
- BE MINDFUL ABOUT YOUR SENSORY EXPERIENCE: These salts are for tasting, not for cooking. You can use these salts to think about the connection between taste and place. You can even use them to hone your ability to taste differences in flavor profiles as you compare and contrast these innovative salts with each other or with conventional sea salt from the grocery store.
- I SIGN & NUMBER EVERY VIAL: Every vial of salt is signed, numbered, and listed in my archive to create extra value for your investment.
- SPEAKING OF VALUE, THE $110 REWARD IS THE BEST VALUE: It's also the first reward that will ship. Other rewards come later in the year. If you want to own this salt before anyone else, the $110 reward is the one you should choose.
- COMPARE BATCHES: Numbered vials let you trace the provenance of the salt and make it easy for you to compare vintages in your collection (wait, can I use vintages for salt?).
- LUXURY SALT ON A BUDGET: I'm offering you the chance to back a project to produce limited edition luxury salts in affordable quantities. Yes, it is expensive, but it's not really that much money. Skip 4 trips to the coffee shop and get something that is worth talking about on your next coffee date.
SALT LIKE THIS IS MYTHIC, AND THE STORY IS JUST BEGINNING
- EXPLORE WITH ME: Back this project and you'll be among the first to explore the uncharted waters of improbable oceans. That means you'll get to say you helped me get this project off the ground (THANK YOU). Depending on your reward level, you'll also be getting some of the very first vials of salt - something I hope will become more and more coveted as the years go by.
- INSIDER ACCESS TO NEW RESEARCH: Get first access to new ways of enjoying salt, updates on the research conducted in my lab, and tips and recipes for unbelievably unique, truly modernist approaches to food. Seriously, awesome and bizarre things are coming up soon.
- SEE THE WORLD IN NEW WAYS: It's worth repeating that you can use these salts as tools to help you see the world in new ways. I used this salt to hone my senses to experience taste like never before. I think it can help you be more observant and present in your day-to-day life.
- SALT BIRTHED FROM MYTH: This salt is genealogically innovative, it's a new type of sea salt from a seawater that comes from unlikely marriages of different bottled mineral waters and different exotic sea salts. Think about it this way: bottled water and sea salt got together and made a baby, and you can adopt it into your kitchen. Go on, back my project!!!
NEW REWARD! ($20 + s&h)
YOU CAN HELP IN LOTS OF WAYS
I'd be honored to have you post this project on your social media account and for you to tell your family and friends. Use the #TASTEMYSALT tag to show your support. If you're a journalist or a blogger and you want to write about Improbable Oceans, drop me a line to let me know. Also, if you are Jimmy Fallon, invite me on your show, you'll love the taste of my salt.
WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT WHY THEY ARE CALLED "IMPROBABLE OCEANS"?
Follow @ImprobableOcean on Twitter to get the rest of the story. I'll give you the executive summary here: It's because the distance between the source of the water and the source of the salt is so vast that it is geologically improbable that they would ever mix in real life. But our infrastructure defeated geologic probability when it invented the supply chain. Now supply chains turn places into products and move them to new locations where they become part of the new landscape.
Risks and challenges
I've spent the last month refining my process and workflow and I've compiled my list of suppliers and my production location. There may still be obstacles to overcome and I'll be transparent with you about any challenges I encounter.
Production: I've already found an inspected kitchen to produce my product in and have been granted provisional membership to complete this project. The last detail to put in place is my product insurance, but the kitchen has an agent who will supply that insurance for me and I've factored in that cost on a pro-rated basis to my project funding goal.
Shipping: I have already built in extra time to ensure that I can produce the salts and ship on time. If anything takes longer than I planned, I'll be upfront and let you know.
Any Changes: Along the way I may end up finding supplies or processes that I feel make the product better. I don't foresee any changes at the moment, but if they arise, I'll share these changes with you.
Suppliers: My suppliers are sufficiently large that I do not anticipate fulfillment problems. That said, because I'm leveraging the existing infrastructure of supply chains, it means my product is at the mercy of the supply chain, and supply chains are at the mercy of things like weather, war, and workers. If disruptions do occur it will just add to the story of this product.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)