What's this game about?
"The fate of the universe is at stake, and prom's tomorrow!"
Super Destiny High School Rumble!! is a roleplaying game about anime high school students who have to balance secret identities, emerging powers, homework, and combating villains.
This game is made for everyone who ever wanted to play their favorite anime types in a high school AU (or honestly, a lot of shonen and shoujo canon). Players can choose from all the beloved tropes of the genre. Will you be the Delinquent, the Elite, the Adorable, the Rep? Pick from 10 social roles to form your character's day-to-day life.
No one, though, is just their role. Everyone has a larger and more fraught destiny. Are you a Night Hunter, a Creature Summoner, an Alchemical Witch, a Secret Monster? 10 destiny playbooks await.
This is the playground where your Secret Monster can ask out the Reincarnated Soul to prom, while fighting on the moon for the fate of the universe. You can be an Apprentice Reaper trying to stay awake in class, or a runaway extraterrestrial princess who wants to make friends. You can even combine your powers in an ultimate showdown. Have you formed a giant pink skeletal unicorn summon, aglow with searing sparkles and wearing a jeweled crown of soul energy? Go you.
This game joins a constellation of great indie gaming options in the Powered by the Apocalypse family. Our small design team has enjoyed and drawn inspiration from Monsterhearts, Masks, Fellowship, and Monster of the Week, among others.
We have been inspired by more anime, manga and JRPGs than we can list, but a few are: Escaflowne, Digimon, Ressha Sentai ToQger, Little Witch Academia, Yu-Gi-Oh!, the Final Fantasy franchise, Sailor Moon, a lot of Gundam series, Ouran High School Host Club, My Hero Academia, Yu Yu Hakusho, Kill la Kill, and Cardcaptor Sakura.
Here's some of the things that make Super Destiny High School Rumble!! fun:
- Play your favorite anime type with moves like "Proclaim your Feelings," "Your Opponent is Me," and "Believe in Yourself."
- Fast character creation and rules-light play. It's an easy game to run and doesn't need a lot of prep time.
- Mix and match your student and destiny playbooks for dozens of playable possibilities.
- You and your fellow players create your world, starting with your classmates in homeroom, and expanding to the school, town, and beyond. Players make statements that become part of the truth of this world--"We live on a floating island of skyscrapers," "We're on a space station," "Music creates magic," "Powers are common", or "Powers are rare", "This is the afterlife", "This is Neo Okinawa," "This is Verona Beach."
- Form Bonds with teammates and boost your own and others' abilities with the power of love, friendship, and teamwork.
- Balance student life with your super-powered secret identity.
- Unlock powerful limit breaks and expend them in extraordinary circumstances.
- Combine your team's powers to make an ultimate form and defeat evil. You get to describe what the combination looks like. Is it a giant robot? A special summon? An amazing mashup of your diverse power sets?
- Fight villains in ascending tiers of power: minions, lieutenants (are there four god-generals? There could be!), and bosses.
- Play in lots of different ways. You can all use different destiny playbooks, or you can decide to build an entire team of Mech Pilots or Transformation Warriors. You could be students at a magic school, or Otherworldy Royalty who use your powers openly in a multiverse crossroads station instead of having secret identities.
We are publishing Super Destiny High School Rumble!! in PDF and softcover Print on Demand versions, both fulfilled by DriveThruRPG, that trusty bastion of roleplaying game downloads. The book will have a color cover and black and white interior illustrations by Amanda Williams. It will contain sections for the students (the players) and the Principal (the DM) and have twenty playbooks, ten for student types and ten for destiny types. You will also get printable PDF versions of the playbooks, the homeroom seating chart, the Principal's cheat sheet, and a fill-in character sheet- everything you need to play the game. Except for a pair of six-sided dice. But what are the chances you have those?
For a preview of what the book will look like, head over to DriveThruRPG and download our free promo. It contains two sample playbooks to whet your appetite.
Here's a mini-preview of two of the playbooks.
Check out Amanda Williams' awesome illustrations for the book! We'll be posting more art as the Kickstarter continues.
Our design team is a found family of friends, gamers, and artists who have collaborated in past on two funded Kickstarters, a successful line of t-shirts, and a 16-year-old small geeky business called The Five Wits. You can find out more about us here!
Our business takes us on long trips to and from conventions, and to visit out-of-state gaming friends. We constantly brainstorm new game and story ideas while driving. This project began in just such a way. We've been having the time of our lives playtesting it, and look forward to sharing it with more gamers. Thanks to all our playtesters so far!
Besides the book itself, you can get rewards inspired by our playbooks, including hand-made one-of-a-kind creatures by Ruth Lampi, witchy gear, or cool hair.
All backers will have their names included in the digital thank-yous.
Shipping is not included and will be added to all reward tiers that involve a physical object.
The art and layout for the book will be complete by the end of May, allowing the PDF to be up on DriveThruRPG by June 2019. The print on demand version will be ready by August 2019. We plan to have copies of it for sale at our booth at GenCon Indy 2019. Because one-third of the art is already done, the book is written, and we've done layout for six of the playbooks, we're confident that this is a reasonable timeline for the additional art and layout, plus the editing.
Over half our funding goal goes toward the art (we love paying artists!), and the rest is for layout and for the cost of, and shipping for, the books we will be sending directly to backers in the wholesale reward tier and other tiers that involve additional physical objects.
Glad you asked! There sure are!
Risks and challenges
We've funded the printing of two books in previous Kickstarter projects, so we're familiar with the process of editing, layout, and fulfillment. This project is a little larger than those were, but we're making fulfillment easier on ourselves by using DriveThruRPG's distribution channel for PDFs and for print on demand books. This will also make it possible to scale up easily no matter how many backers we get.
This is our first published game system, though we've been homebrewing all sorts of systems for years. We decided to use the template of Powered by the Apocalypse so that we can be confident we're building on a solid rule base. We've also been playtesting with many groups of varied backgrounds for the last half year.
For the wilder reward tiers, we have the fortune of being the same team working behind the scenes at The Five Wits, and having access to the costuming and apothecary supply chains that let us provide customized and magical reward options. We also have a daily shipping operation we can piggyback on, so backer fulfillment can dash along smoothly. The risks we are facing go hand in hand with the above. Our team doubles as the staff for a busy little traveling business, and rolling game design and distribution into our portfolio is no small feat. It is, however, one we have long been dreaming of and planning for. Our reputation is on the line to deliver, and we take that very seriously. When we show up at future conventions we want to hear about your games!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)