This project's funding goal was not reached on December 20, 2013.
About this project
We want to flesh out the story and hire artists to help create The Boy with the Rusty Sword Volume 1. (see the comic style here) The comic will be full color and will have approximately 150 pages (6.75x10.25). The content is aimed towards young adults. As chapters are done they’ll be posted on the rusty sword web site so fans can see them for free in English and Spanish. We also want to translate the comic to Japanese, and Portuguese.
Eliko is a boy from a tribe who's sister,Kalani , was taken away while a strange plague changed everyone in his village into metal monsters. Eliko himself was changed also: half of his body is made of living metal and his arm is overgrown. Now Eliko journeys outside of his homeland in search of Kalani and answers to what happened in his village.
Though a monster is not referred to as a creature of intelligence such as a race, they do have varying levels of intellect; they can be cunning, plan and even learn to read, write and speak. They show signs of deep rooted hate or love towards specific objects, people, locations, etc... This makes some monsters predictable at times.
The Web Comic
Through the year working on the comic book we have advanced in story, drawings and style.
The Boy with the Rusty Sword is full of dark humor and horror. The world of Arconia can be as beautiful as it can be twisted and strange. You’ll be surprised again and again as Eliko slips into strange places and finds creatures, people and monsters.
We have the basic underlying skeleton mapped out for the story and the designs and style of the comic which we have been mastering the past year. The lead artist Edwin Gautreau will be directing a art team which we've been scouting for, in the D.R. for the past months. The art team will be hired to help us ink, shade, and color digitally while we work on final drawings and panels that need to be continuously revised before we get pages we're happy with.
Why Kick Starter?
We want to open the doors to international markets and start making high quality, art orientated products that can entertain people around the world. This is the first step. We want comic books, movies, games and animation in the DR to be taken seriously.
Many students with great talent go to colleges here and get funneled towards studying careers they only pick because there's nothing else to do.
You see tons of people drawing anime fan art or even their own characters from stories they thought up and can talk about for hours, because they've been working on them since they first saw Dragon Ball.
We want to give hope to the kids that want to grow up and draw and tell stories.
To do this we need time, to get time, we need your help.
- Wallpaper: A Boy with the Rusty Sword wallpaper exclusive to Rusty Sword Backers. Help get the comic to be made! You’ll be able to see the comic for free as the chapters come out at www.rusty-sword.com. (They will be posted in English, Spanish, Portuguese and Japanese!)
- PDF: PDF copies of the comic book chapters as they come out!
- PDF Special Edition: PDF copies of the comic book chapters as they come out plus unabridged, in-depth information about all creatures, monsters, histories, maps, restaurant ratings and general lore from all parts of Arconia we visit in the comic.
- Character Prints: Get 6 (6"x4") character prints featuring characters and monsters that will come out in the comic book!
- Mini comics: 3 (5"x7") Mini comics that have a creepy, rhyming stories in front and a large drawing with the title of the mini comic in the back! The one above is from the website, backers will be getting three new ones!
- Soft Cover Volume Special Edition: Soft cover special backer edition print of volume 1 with unabridged, in-depth information about all creatures, monsters, histories, maps, restaurant ratings and general lore from all parts of Arconia we visit in the comic.
- Hard Cover Volume Special Edition: Hard cover special backer edition print of volume 1 with unabridged, in-depth information about all creatures, monsters, histories, maps, restaurant ratings and general lore from all parts of Arconia we visit in the comic.
- T-Shirt: Limited edition official Rusty Sword backer t-Shirt. With designs by the comic book artist Edwin Gautreau. The front is not final yet it wont look like a square xD
- Poster: Epic full size movie poster (36x24 inches) designed by the comic book artist Edwin Gautreau
- Rusty-Sword Ink: inked drawing of a character or monster of your choice signed and drawn by the comic book artist Edwin Gautreau. Nothing sexual-explicit, no nudity or extreme gore and no greater in detail than the image samples above. You will have a round of feedback at the end of the rough pencil stage to make sure everything is right. From there it will be inked and sent to you!
- Rusty-Sword Painting: have whomever you like drawn, inked and digitally colored in Rusty Sword style signed and drawn by the comic book artist Edwin Gautreau. Nothing sexual-explicit, no nudity or extreme gore and no greater in detail than the image sample above. You will have a round of feedback at the end of the rough pencil stage to make sure everything is right. From there the sketch will be made into a digital painting and you'll be sent a print resolution file of the image!
- Comic Book Cameo: get a cameo in the comic by lending your face to a background character. You'll get original concept art drawings of your character and a printed fully colored print also!
This project is not only to make the comic, but to open the doors to new markets in the Dominican Republic (DR), not just for comics but also games and animation, where we won’t settle for what is usually done in the DR in terms of cinema and entertainment, but instead, commit to doing our jobs superbly and raising the level of quality in every sense of the word, from the story to the final product.
The Boy with the Rusty Sword was thought up in 2005 by Edwin Gautreau and Luima Morillo, who are owners of the animation company ‘’Raycast’’ in the Dominican Republic (www.raycastdr.com). Originally it was being planned for an animated short.
A year ago Edwin and Luima brought the idea to Christian Castillo and asked him to be their writer, so they re-conceptualized and started a web strip to experiment with the style, explore the world of Arconia and show it to people for free (www.rusty-sword.com).
Check Out Our Work:
Luima’s 3d Art Portfolio: www.luima.com/
Edwin’s 2D Art Portfolio: www.flickr.com/photos/edgaus
Edwin’s Blog: edgaus.blogspot.com/
Edwin’s and Luima’s Animation Company www.raycastdr.com/
We want to first show the story of the Boy with the Rusty Sword so people understand the world and love the characters. Later we want to make shorts based on the series in hi-definition in 3D and video games.
Programming by Christian: www.rusty-sword.com/demo3
3D Work by Luima:
Concepts by Luis Morillo (Luima) and Edwin Gautreau.
Artwork by Edwin Gautreau (Edgaus).
Writing by Christian Castillo.
Music:"Stance Gives You Balance" by Hogan Grip (www.tonyhiggins.org)
Sword: Ramon Gonzalez and Jamille Menieur
Cosplayer: Larisa Aybar Nikitenko
Costume and Make-up: Christie Checo (www.facebook.com/chrisugarcheco)
Special Thanks: Natalia Aybar Nikitenko, Cristina Suazo, Walterio Castillo, Manuel Caceros,Claribel Suazo Bello, Modesto Suazo, Martina Bello.
Risks and challenges
We've scheduled everything to launch next year and tried to anticipate contingencies, but there are sure to be minor hiccups along the way. We will be getting comics ready and then they'll be printed and shipped so you will get the digital copies before the physical. We'll keep all backers informed to the status of their rewards.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
- (30 days)