Welcome to the Kickstarter page for Zed or Alive:The Zombie Miniatures Game!
It's been years since the crash, and our understanding of what happened is still murky at best. First, things began like any other media scare - SARS, H1N1, or avian flu. Before long, there was panic, the military lost control in the cities, and when the reactors started melting down, that's when things really collapsed.
Now, years later, we try to rebuild. The only law is in Stadium City where enforcers keep the peace. There's no choice but to venture out into the ruins and scavenge whatever's available to feed ourselves or trade in the bazaar. It's dangerous, but untold riches of the old world are waiting to be found.
Out there, though, you won't be alone. Other survivors will look to take anything you find, savage tribals are always searching for victims, and military troops shoot first and never ask questions. Then, of course, there are zeds. If you don't run into any of the mutated Aberrants, count yourself lucky.
Zed or Alive is a campaign-based miniatures skirmish game set in the years following the zombie apocalypse. You control one of several human group types such as Survivors, Tribals, or Military and battle each other and the ever-present zombie menace to gain weapons, supplies, and dominance!
Alternately, you may choose to play as a Virus Strain, gaining evolutionary material with every battle and evolving to become increasingly lethal!
- Uses the award-winning Savage Worlds: Showdown! System!
- Use any miniatures you like!
- Three basic human group types!
- Rules for mutating your own Virus Strain!
- 9 Basic Confrontations (scenarios), 4 of which are playable head-to-head, cooperatively, or solo!
- 7 Aberrant Zombie types, with 35+ mutation types, allowing for nearly limitless lethal combinations!
- Robust Campaign System! Watch your group grow from battle to battle!
- Massive armory with just about every anti-zombie weapon imaginable!
- Jury-Rigging system for constructing makeshift zombie-killing weapons!
- Rules for mounts, vehicles, even training pet dogs!
- Compatible with the Savage Worlds RPG - use ZoA as a role-playing sourcebook, create characters, use them in skirmish battle games, and vice-versa!
- Tons of setting-specific rules!
- Compatible with conventional 28mm or even 15mm miniatures!
The rulebook is currently set to be released as a 100-page PDF document.
Zed or Alive requires the Savage Worlds: Showdown! rules (available for FREE) to play.
So, why do we need your help?
The original scope of our project was to release an affordable PDF version of the rulebook, but we always had our hearts set on publishing a printed book.
By contributing to this Kickstarter Campaign, you are helping to fund the initial print run of our game, production of printable figure flats, custom ZoA AOE templates, and potentially increasing the scope of the project to include extra PDF campaign setting packs for different countries, as well as game aids like Playing Cards, Loot Cards, and even possibly a smartphone app!
The final printed product will be a color cover, color interior, softbound 8.5"x11" book. It is ready to be sent to the printers, and everything will be set in motion as soon as the Kickstarter campaign funds!
While the standard setting for Zed or Alive is in the Eastern part of the United States' Midwest, no corner of the globe is safe from the zombie virus! Our setting packs will allow players to run campaigns in many places across the globe. They will be released as PDF packs containing any additional background, setting rules, loot tables, weather tables, and other information required.
The only guaranteed setting pack at our base funding goal is the UK, although other exciting options will open up as we achieve more goals. These have yet to be written, and will be distributed to backers as soon as possible once the project funds.
If we reach the $6,500 mark, we will make a printed softcover compilation of all unlocked Setting Packs available to order as a fixed additional amount for all backers of Headhunter level and higher.
We've hit the $6,500 stretch goal, so softcover Setting Pack Compilation books are now available as add-ons to pledges of Headhunter or higher at a discounted price from retail! To do so, simply update your existing pledge by adding $20 ($35 for international backers).
Our initial vision of Zed or Alive included a full set of printed Equipment (or Loot) Cards to draw from when scavenging in the ruins. Sadly, this simply wasn't within the budget for what we could accomplish prior to this Kickstarter due to the sheer volume of loot items available in the game! Rather than go another route like putting the burden of printing on the player by releasing them as a PDF document, we decided it was best to hold off until we get it done properly. As a result, one of our major funding goals is to begin development of equipment card packs!
There are a ton of loot items in Zed or Alive - over 200 in fact! So rather than force anyone who wants loot cards to buy a massive pack, we've broken them up into four distinct 64 mini-card (44.45mm x 63.5mm, 1.75" x 2.5") packs contained in custom tuck-boxes from the following categories:
- Civilian - Loot you'd find in commuter cars, homes, and residential areas.
- Industrial - Gear you're likely to find in work trucks, construction yards, and or shops.
- Military - High-grade hardware found on dead soldiers, abandoned military vehicles and bases.
- Bazaar - The more obscure, rare loot that usually only makes its way into survivor hands after searching the maze-like stalls of the bazaar.
Loot card packs can be added to your pledges of Headhunter or higher at $8 each or $30 for a bundle of all four (shipping included for U.S. backers, +$5 for international). Additionally, we've decided to add a few additional bonus items to each pack that are only available there! We're doing our best to cram as much bonus content into each Setting and Loot Card pack as we can!
One of our grandest goals for ZoA is to develop a smartphone app that is able to handle basic functions to aid gameplay, such as drawing loot cards. If this goal is attained, there will be subsequent stretch goals which appear for the development of specific increased functionality such as group dossiers (rosters), dice rollers, etc.
While we are not producing our own custom miniatures at this time, we would like to thank the following miniatures companies for giving us permission to use their awesome miniatures and terrain in our book:
- Tengu Models
- Grekwood Miniatures
- Secret Weapon Miniatures
- Hasslefree Miniatures
- Mad Puppet Miniatures
- Studio Miniatures
- Heresy Miniatures
- Troll Forged Miniatures
- Wargames Factory
- Reaper Miniatures
- Statuesque Miniatures
- Wargames Foundry
- Black Scorpion Miniatures
- Rebel Miniatures
- Zuzzy Miniatures
While custom miniatures are not within the scope of this Kickstarter, we are not ruling this out as a possibility for the future!
- Video Editing and Effects - The awesome and talented Vanida Vae
- Music: Nightmares by Donnie Drost
Risks and challenges
We understand that since this is our first time self-publishing a game, backers may be a bit apprehensive. However, with Modern Ops under our belts, we are not strangers to miniature game design and have taken steps to minimize the risk to our backers.
The first and most important factor is that we've already covered the cost of the game's design, writing, editing, layout, and art. You do not have to worry about pledging money and then waiting for us to finish the game - it's done! Additionally, we've already been approved by Pinnacle Entertainment Group's Licensing to use the Savage Worlds system. Since this campaign is simply to raise funds for the printing of a physical book, that is where the risks lie, mainly:
• Printing Delays - While not anticipated, it is possible that the printer could take longer than scheduled.
• Shipping/Customs Delays - We will be doing our utmost to ensure that physical products are shipped out in a timely manner, but it is possible that unforeseen delays in shipping could affect the time it takes for backers to receive their goodies.
• World Events - Ideally this won't happen, but it's possible for global disasters to strike and cause problems for our project. If a real zombie apocalypse descends upon us, though, rest assured the Rust Devils will probably still get you your books!
That said, we're more than happy to work with backers and refund pledges in the event that we're unable to deliver our product as promised.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)