About this project
The Arduino Drum Machine is a 14-track Drum-Machine Step Sequencer with 2 accent tracks and 32 steps. Check out the videos -- it's a lot easier to understand when you see it:
The Arduino Drum Machine is like the classic Roland TR707 but with some twists, as it actually has 32 x 1/32 or 32 x 1/64 steps. The 2 note-step sequence feature allows you to do bass and/or synth lines -- it's a MIDI groove-box!
Here's a picture of the first prototype PCB: http://ruggedcircuits.com/images/adm_proto1.jpg
And here are some videos of the first prototype working with a Duemilanove:
Once we get a prototype into Wusik.com's hands (currently stuck in Brazilian customs) we'll post some cooler videos.
This project is a joint collaboration between Wusik.com and Rugged Circuits. We've taken the breadboard prototype of the drum machine shown in the videos and made it into a proper Arduino shield that plugs in on top of an Arduino Uno, Duemilanove, or Mega/Mega2560 (not included). The software performs all the drum machine functions, but you can always tweak it to do whatever you want (with the source code reward levels). We will provide sample source code at all reward levels showing basic usage of all hardware on the shield.
We've added EEPROM, FLASH, and expandability options and connectors. Suggestions from backers are welcome too (as long as they don't break the bank!)
And it's not just a drum machine: the hardware is a general-purpose MIDI development platform and playground. The awesome software from Wusik.com is what provides the drum machine functionality, but you can run any software you want on your Arduino to make use of the hardware.
Here are the project specs:
- Arduino shield (we're aiming for about 8" x 3") that plugs on top of an Arduino Uno, Duemilanove, Mega, or Mega2560
- 512 kbytes of FLASH (beyond what's on the Arduino)
- 32kbytes of EEPROM (beyond what's on the Arduino), expandable to 128kbytes by adding more EEPROM chips
- 16 buttons with LED for each button
- 8 buttons for control functions (intended for up, down, left, right, shift, play, stop, record)
- 16x2 LCD with backlight
- MIDI IN and MIDI OUT interfaces
- System operation at 5V or 3.3V
- Designed to be compatible with Arduinos as well as Netduino and FEZ Panda
The Wusik.com drum machine software provides:
- 14 Drum Tracks + 2 Accent Tracks (a total of 3 MIDI-note velocities can be sent from each step)
- 2 Step-Sequence Tracks (each step has its own Note selection, Velocity is set by the accent tracks)
- Multi Pattern and Song Mode
- Number of Patterns and Songs depends on the total amount of system EEPROM -- the base system provision of 32kbytes of EEPROM has enough for 99 patterns and 99 songs
- Each pattern has 32 x 1/32 or 32 x 1/64 steps and 14 tracks + 2 accent tracks
- Each track has a note-number and MIDI-channel number, so you can also use tracks to output regular notes (one note fixed per track)
- Optional MIDI echo
NOTE: International backers (outside the USA) PLEASE ADD USD$10 to your pledge for any reward levels that require shipping physical items (that is, $50 and up). These items will ship by US Priority Mail International and usually take 6-10 days to arrive (though it is not guaranteed). Shipping by courier companies like UPS or DHL is much more expensive but allows for shipment tracking -- please contact us for prices. Also please contact us for combined shipping prices for group buys and multiple-order pledges.
Support this project
- (30 days)