Female Armor, and an Update from Kevin Siembieda
We've got some more photos for you today, this time of the standard Queadluun-Rau Female Power Armor as well as the experimental Queadluun-Gult wielding the optional Z-CR Mk.II Beam Rifle.
But first, a big update from the President and Publisher of Palladium Books, Kevin Siembieda, to address a few questions and concerns some of you have had.
UPDATE: Robotech® RPG Tactics™
I have come to realize that some Robotech® fans are so excited about Robotech® RPG Tactics™ that the unexpected delays and slow progress toward manufacturing have made some people nervous and worried that Robotech® RPG Tactics™ will not see release at all.
First, and I mean no disrespect, that’s crazy. Please be assured Robotech® RPG Tactics™ is important to us and will be released in 2014 as SOON as we can make that possible. Like you, we want Robotech® RPG Tactics™ out as quick as we can without sacrificing quality. Like you, we were honestly expecting a November or December, 2013 release.
Were Palladium Books and Ninja Division much too optimistic about how quickly we could get Robotech® RPG Tactics™ into manufacturing? The obvious answer is, yes. And yes by a large margin. But please do NOT for one second wonder if we are ignoring this product or letting it languish. And especially don’t think it is never coming out. Palladium has put its every resource into bringing Robotech® RPG Tactics™ to the marketplace and making it something fans can delight in.
I apologize for the delays. They have been unavoidable. Nobody is more frustrated with how long it is taking to get this wonderful product into manufacturing than ALL of us at Palladium Books. Robotech® RPG Tactics™ is Palladium’s top priority.
Please remember that this is a massive undertaking with dozens and dozens of game pieces and other components (stat cards, rule book, decal sheets, markers, carrying case, box packaging, etc.). There are nearly 200 individual components (130+ stat cards alone and 30+ game pieces) that have needed to be designed, created, checked, rechecked and then produced. And I’m not even talking just about the creative end of art, rules and sculpts, but design considerations, sprue layout, mold engineering, manufacturing considerations, manufacturing modifications to the game pieces, tooling, packaging, collation of the MANY components and pieces, marketing, shipping, and quality checks, double checks, and triple checks. And once it goes into the tooling and manufacturing stage, there are other issues. That is a lot to keep track of and handled. Even though Ninja Division is the lead on this project, Palladium finds itself working on some aspect of Robotech® RPG Tactics™ every single day. We’re fine with that and taking on more. Anything to get this game into your hands.
MUCH of this is out of Palladium Books’ hands. We are reliant upon Ninja Division and the engineers and manufacturers in China. As newbies to this type of product, Palladium has no choice but to trust the people handling design, layout, sculpting/model making, engineering, mold making, manufacturing and all the rest. As a result, we don’t know why some of this is taking so long either, but a lot has to do with the scope of this ambitious and exciting Kickstarter-funded project. If there was anything we could do to send Robotech® RPG Tactics™ into manufacturing tomorrow, we would do so. But we can’t. All of us at Palladium Books, Ninja Division, and in China are working to get the product line into manufacturing as fast as we can, without sacrificing quality. Every time we speak with the guys at Ninja Division they sound like they have their hands full and are working to get this game into manufacturing. But again, there are so many different aspects of this very comprehensive product line – each with its own array of elements and aspects to be addressed – it is taking much longer than any of us anticipated. Still, we’re staying positive and we are as pumped up about Robotech® RPG Tactics™ as we were from the beginning.
Robotech® RPG Tactics™ is a passion project for all of us at Palladium Books. We are all huge fans of Robotech®. Have been for decades. We are thrilled to be making this product line a reality. It is a dream come true. We are doing everything in our power to create and release a fun, fast-playing game that Robotech® fans will adore! We are working diligently to make the game pieces, accessories and packaging everything a Robotech® fan could want. That means beautiful, accurate and consistently scaled game pieces that will make your mouth water.
Robotech® RPG Tactics™ Progress Report
● Prelude to manufacturing. I’m pleased to report that progress continues to be made on Robotech® RPG Tactics™. We are starting to see final pre-production models and many of the sprue layouts have been hammered out.
● Robotech® prototype game pieces. Palladium only just received the first batch of prototypes on the afternoon of Friday, December 27, 2013, and promptly began to build and photograph them to post images on the Robotech® Kickstarter page at the beginning of the very next week.
It is thrilling to finally be receiving these items. After building and examining what we received, Wayne and Jeff have caught some discrepancies with a few. Some changes from the sculpts are no doubt due to manufacturing requirements, and the pieces still look amazing. A couple seem like mistakes we will make sure to address. Likewise, Wayne and Jeff have notified Ninja Division that a couple of the figures were out of scale, and the Ninjas immediately set forth correcting them.
● Sprue Layout is in progress, but is yet to be finalized and approved. Some tweaks and changes are still necessary. Looking good on this front.
● The Robotech® RPG Tactics™ Battle Foam Carrying Case. Wayne Smith has been in communication with the Battle Foam people, and the Robotech® RPG Tactics™ carrying case should go into manufacturing soon. Again, this is just one piece of the Kickstarter products that requires our attention, input and development from a manufacturer. We’re on it.
● Color guide for the game pieces. Palladium’s Robotech® authority and artist, Jeff Burke, is working on creating an accurate color guide reference for painting the Robotech® RPG Tactics™ game pieces. He is creating front, back and side views with flat colors for every Macross mecha in the game, plus some squad variations. This color guide will be printed and included in the box game as well as presented online for your easy access and reference.
● Packaging. Palladium is reviewing packaging right now. Again, until everything is finalized and approved, we must resist the urge to show it to you. But that doesn't mean all kinds of work isn't being done.
● Release Date: I’m sorry, but we still do not have a hard release date for the game. I know it is frustrating to say we are working on it and it will be released as soon as possible. When we know more, you will know it too. We are as frustrated and disappointed with the slow progress and sliding release date as anyone, but things are moving forward on all fronts. Hang tight. We are getting there. I’m sorry we can’t give you anything more substantive at this time. We are sharing information, photos and progress as we get them ourselves! Things are shaping up to be a Spring release.
● Dissemination of Information: Palladium would love to give you hard facts and a solid release date, but we cannot because we don’t have them yet ourselves. We share what we know as we know it. We release images and info as we can. We only received the first batch of pre-production prototypes on Friday, December 27, 2013, and began posting them the following Monday. We may not show you pieces that might have a problem, because we’re going to fix them and don’t want to alarm you. We give you “target dates” because you want them, but they are estimates and thus subject to change, and they have been changing.
Please know that we are working hard to make Robotech® RPG Tactics™ the best product we can. A game and game pieces that will please Robotech® fans and gamers alike. Every delay and problem drives us nuts, so we understand your frustration, but it’s all part of the process. We are working to get this game out pronto. Unfortunately, the complexity and scale of this project (which is kinda cool, when you think about it) has everyone from Palladium Books to Ninja Division to China working to make it great, all the time. Palladium has been nothing but honest with you about our expectations and what has been going on. We appreciate your patience and understanding.
● Being a Kickstarter backer. Your Kickstarter pledge goes toward funding a special project, to make that goal a reality. The product you are to receive as a Kickstarter backer is your reward for that pledge. Palladium Books is working diligently to finish the project you have so graciously helped to fund. And you WILL get the rewards promised. Believe that, because it is absolutely true.
Yes, there are delays. No, we cannot give you an exact release date yet – at this time – but we will as soon as we can make that happen.
In the end, you, our Kickstarter supporters, will be the first to receive a wonderful product that we hope will make you grin and provide endless hours of enjoyment. Thank you for sharing our dream. You, your pledges of support and unbridled enthusiasm are very much appreciated.
Keep the faith and we’ll continue to keep you informed along the way.
– Kevin Siembieda, Publisher
And Now, the Photos...
Note: The Female Power Armor and Battlepods shown above are pre-production prototypes assembled from 3D printed component parts. The Valkyrie Battloid and Tomahawk are early, unfinished demo prototypes, shown only for scale. The two Females are on generic 50mm bases, and the Valkyrie and Tomahawk are on 40mm bases designed for Robotech® RPG Tactics™.