About this project
The Fertile Desert was an Offical Selection of The Nevada City Film Festival, and it won Best Overall at the Chronos Timelapse Film Festival! The Fertile Desert is also featured on timelapse.org!!
The Fertile Desert presented the energetic dance and exploration of consciousness that is Burning Man. More than a story, it is an experience, a trigger to remember, and an impetus to explore. The footage set the stage for more inclusive involvement and interactivity by adopting the style of the subject itself: an open, flowing, stimulating art form. Once again, I am returning to the Playa with an open mind and expanding heart.
This time I want to dive deeper into this beautiful process of free form filmmaking and touch the truth of the Playa Spirit...
...and make something truly EPIC for you!!
By expanding the tools and production budget, I will be able to capture imagery that is a closer representation of the beautiful color and intense dance between light and dark. I hope to bring timelapse tools that will allow me to compress a days journey into a few seconds as well expand a single moment into an introspective dream.
I look forward to again sharing the footage and music I score for the film with the Burning Man Community. You will not only be a part of supporting me in practicing my art, you will be contributing to countless other films and art projects.
The World is Ready For Films Like This!!
With The Fertile Desert, I have started to practice a freeform jazz kind of film making. Just like my musical style, it all begins with a jam that reflects the here and now, evolving without an agenda and flowing from one beautiful moment to the next.
My footage and music has been gifted to the following films and projects:
- Spark: A Burning Man Story http://www.sparkpictures.com/
- The Burning Man Organization (Both of my Burning Man films permanently live on the Burning Man Facebook Page) http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200558740071433&set=vb.66963842167&type=3&theater
- One Couch at a Time - CouchSurfing Documentary http://www.onecouchatatime.com/
- Fractal Nation Village 2011 https://vimeo.com/41731245
- The Otic Oasis Documentary
- The Otic Oasis 2.0 Kickstarter
- The Temple of Whollyness 2013 Kickstarter
- My photography of the Otic Oasis has been used in the Burning Man Calendar, and as a fundraising reward for the Otic Oasis 2012.
- The Fertile Desert soundtrack has been featured in the 'Stepping off the Edge International Podcast' http://steppinofftheedge.com/podcast/re-imagining-tribe/
- My 'Halcyon 2k' remix was featured in Ben Wiggin's 2009 Burning Man Timelapse https://vimeo.com/6636389
My core rewards are these Limited Edition Kickstarter PRINTS!! YES!!
Thess giclee art prints are printed using Epson's archival pigmented inks, which are guaranteed not to fade for at least 100+ years, on a 100% cotton rag, museum quality, acid-free, archival bright white fine art paper.
Prints are smudge resistant, long lasting, and fade resistant! Securely packaged using an acid free plastic sleeve, and shipped inside a protective flat, stiff envelope.
You can choose between these prints from The Fertile Desert, from my timelapse adventures, or from my Future Film of 2013:
This is the gear that I would need to accomplish some of the ideas I have for these films:
- $6,000 = Cameras: 2 Full Frame DSLR Cameras (This allows me to step up the quality of my film and timelapse images - especially at night!) + 2 regular DSLR Cameras + 1 GoPro
- $5,000 = Lenses: 2 nice wide angle fast lenses for night time photography, and a stabilized Canon 70-200mm L (for better video too)
- $6,000 = Timelapse Tools: Computer controlled motorized dollies, a special timelapse remote, and a hyperlapse rig (hyperlapse allows me to move the camera across the playa ground as it's timelapsing, producing one of the coolest timelapse effects ever!!). eMotimo TB3 Black [x2] + Dynamic Perception Stage Zero + Promote Control + Hyperlapse Rig
- $4,000 = Remote Controlled Camera Helicopter: Having one of these would allow me to get some seriously amazing aerial footage of the playa!!
- $3,000 = Small Trailer: A small trailer to house the equipment out on the playa and serve as a mini production rig would be very helpful:)
- Post Production: The Fertile Desert involved over 200 hours of post production work for the film and music. These films are estimated at around 300 hours.
$10,000 is the minimum I would need to create these films. $24,000 would really allow me to go all out and create some of the epicness I have envisioned in my head:) Any filmmaker will know that $24,000 is still a very small budget to make a film. I am asking for $13,000 through Kickstarter because $1,000 of that would go towards Kickstarter and Amazon fees, and the other $2,000 would go towards reward fulfillment costs (printing, shipping, etc.), leaving me with $10,000 to spend on filming costs.
These films, like all my past artistic creations (films + music) will be a labor of love:) I have earned very little financially for my art and I have always shared freely what I create. By supporting me for this project, you are also gifting me the resources needed to create even more projects!!
Timeline: Filming begins with the Temple Build August 8th and goes through to the final ashes flying up and away in September. September and October will be spent processing footage, assembling timelapse segments (this is all a manual process for me) and beginning to lay down tracks for the musical score. November - Processing and Printing Limited Edition Prints for Shipping in the first week of December. I aim to release my tone poem by end of January 2014. Release Date of the full experience (title TBD) in May 2014
The Temple 2013: I get to be involved with the creation of the Temple this year!! My friends from the Otic Oasis (the main piece featured in The Fertile Desert) are designing and building it, and I get to be there to capture it all:)
Risks and challenges
Unique challenges will only be in the form of personal injury. As a master of improvise, I handle all setbacks and surprises with caution, awareness, patience, and thoughtfullness:)Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (47 days)