QLite Pro EZ Grip LED Floodlight for Smartphones
QLite Pro EZ Grip LED Floodlight for Smartphones helps you take great photos & videos and scan documents in any lighting environment.
QLite Pro EZ Grip LED Floodlight for Smartphones
QLite Pro EZ Grip LED Floodlight for Smartphones helps you take great photos & videos and scan documents in any lighting environment.
*** QLite Pro Reviews ***
Improbable Insights May 4, 2015
QLite Pro: Mobile Phone Ring Light by Loyd Case
"At $40, the QLite Pro enables handymen, mechanics, and anyone working in dark, cramped places. Using the phone enables a tech to shoot a quick photo in a darkened area and upload it for more analysis in real-time."
- Loyd Case, Improbable Insights
Pro Tool Reviews April 20, 2015
Developed by Jigsaw Informatics, the QLite Pro™ EZ Grip Floodlight for Smartphones enables smartphone users to capture high quality photos, videos and document scans in challenging lighting situations where using a smartphone by itself is inadequate or which require additional lighting such as flashlights or drop lights.
EZ Grip Secure, Universal Mount for Smartphones. Optimized for service personnel, technicians, other professionals and consumers who use their smartphones to document their work, the QLite Pro features a secure, patent-pending, universal EZ Grip mounting system that firmly grips virtually any smartphone and most smartphone cases for single-handed operation— even upside down.
It's a Floodlight-- Better than a Flash! The QLite Pro combines its unique EZ Grip secure, universal smartphone mounting system with 4 high-brightness LEDs and a 2,600 mAh rechargeable battery that together provide continuous, brilliant floodlight level illumination that is up to ten times (10x) brighter than smartphone LEDs. By providing continuous illumination, QLite Pro users can avoid the hassles associated with flash photography or trying to use the low-power illuminators that come with today's smartphones.
Great Photos, Videos and Document Scans... No Flashlight Required. With the QLite Pro's floodlight level illumination, smartphone users can now easily take crystal clear photos and videos in poor lighting conditions and scan documents without shadows. Plus, the QLite Pro is bright enough to eliminate the need for flashlights or drop lights in many situations.
Don't Waste Your Smartphone's Battery. Because it has its own rechargeable, 2,600 mAh battery, the QLite Pro doesn't drain your smartphone battery the way your smartphone's intrinsic LEDs do. Using its own battery, the QLite Pro can operate continuously for up to 9 hours and it can even charge your smartphone if you're running low.
(NOTE: Optimized for home and office use, the QLite Pro DX Model features a smaller 1,700 mAh battery that supports continuous operation for up to 6 hours and does NOT support smartphone re-charging.)
Perfect for Service Pros, Contractors and More...The QLite Pro is ideal for professionals and consumers who use their smartphone to photograph or video objects and/or scan documents on the job and on the go:
What is the QLite Pro... Director's Cut:
II. KEY FEATURES AND BENEFITS
1. The QLite Pro is NOT a Flash… it’s a Floodlight that Provides Continuous, Bright White Illumination that's 10x the Output of an iPhone 5. At either 790 LUX (Low) or 2,300 LUX (High) output levels, the QLite Pro delivers about 3x or 10x (respectively) the light output from an iPhone 5’s intrinsic illuminator. This high level of constant illumination, combined with the QLite Pro’s 5000 Degree Kelvin (Bright White) Color Temperature makes taking excellent photos and videos in low light and capturing document scans in poor light extremely easy.
2. Replaces Flashlights or Drop Lights in Many Situations. Working in low light situations often means having to use a flashlight or drop light in addition to your smartphone. The QLite Pro’s brilliant floodlight level illumination lights up your work area to eliminate the need for additional lighting in most instances.
3. Secure, Universal Mount Enables, Steady, Single Handed Operation... Even Upside Down! The QLite Pro securely holds your smartphone so that you can use one hand for illumination and smartphone camera operation and the other hand for balance or other operations. With better stability, one can take better photos and videos without artifacts such as blur or graininess.
4. Eliminates Shadows on Documents. The QLite Pro’s brilliant, continuous light eliminates the shadows that often plague smartphone document images and scans because of the direct lighting found in many workplaces and field situations. With up to 10x the illumination of a smartphone’s built-in illuminator, the QLite Pro virtually eliminates direct light shadows to make photographs or scans of invoices, work orders, packing lists, instructions and other documents crystal clear, as shown below.
5. Works with Virtually Any Smartphone and Popular Phone Cases... even the OtterBox™! The QLite Pro’s unique Secure, Universal Mounting System is designed to accommodate a very wide range of smartphones… including the iPhone 4, 5, 6 & 6 Plus as well as the entire Samsung Galaxy S family. Plus, the QLite Pro can accommodate a wide variety of cases up to and including most OtterBoxes (except on iPhone 6 Plus).
6. Works with ALL Camera, Photo, Video, Scanning or Vertical Market Apps. The QLite Pro is entirely independent of smartphone software and does not depend on Android, iOS, Windows or any particular app. Accordingly, the QLite Pro works very well with all photo, video and scanning apps under any operating system on any phone!
7. Works with HDR and Other Advanced Camera Modes. Because the QLite Pro provides constant illumination (it’s not a flash), it works well with High Dynamic Range (HDR) and other advanced camera modes that aren't available when your smartphone's flash is enabled, so you can take great pictures-- even in poor light.
8. Rechargeable Battery Provides Hours of Service and Recharges Quickly. With its 2,600 mAh rechargeable battery, the QLite Pro can operate continuously for over 9 hours on its Low Illumination setting and over 2 hours on its High Illumination setting—long enough to ensure you can complete most any job. And the QLite Pro recharges quickly… it takes less than 2 hours for a complete charge in typical situations. Just plug the included USB A to Micro USB cable into any USB adapter. The Blue Charge Level LEDs indicate current charge level attained.
(NOTE: Optimized for home and office use, the QLite Pro DX Model features a smaller 1,700 mAh battery that supports up to 6 hours of continuous operation with Low Illumination and up to 90 minutes of continuous operation with High Illumination.)
9. Charge Your Smartphone’s Battery. The QLite Pro features a standard USB A port so you can charge your smartphone while using the QLite Pro. Just use your existing USB A charging cable to charge your phone. In the future, Jigsaw intends to offer optional, separately purchasable short charge cables for popular phones.
(NOTE: Optimized for home and office use, the QLite Pro DX Model does NOT support smartphone re-charging.)
10. Intuitive User Interface. With its single Power Button, Low & High Settings, Battery Indicator and Automatic Off, the QLite Pro is truly simple to use:
- Push the Power Button once to turn on the QLite Pro with Low Illumination (Single Red Power LED indicator illuminates on).
- Push again to enable High Illumination (Single Red Power LED shines brightly).
- Push again to turn off or just wait 2 minutes and the unit will turn itself off. Note: If the Power Button is accidentally depressed continuously (like when it's in your backpack), the QLite Pro turns itself off after 2 seconds.
- Hold the Power Button down for 2 seconds and the 4 Blue Battery Charge Level Indicator LEDs indicate the current charge level of 25%, 50%, 75% or 100% full charge.
The following ZAP video (made with Pingz, of course) illustrates the simplicity of the QLite Pro's UI:
11. Standard 1/4-20 Tripod Mount For Super Steady, Flexible Operation. The QLite Pro includes an industry standard ¼-20 (1/4 inch diameter, 20 threads per inch) tripod mount that enables users to mount the QLite Pro on a wide array of third party tripods and mounting systems.
12. Rugged Construction for Real World Use. Made of injection molded ABS plastic, the QLite Pro is designed to be used in a wide range of environments: shop, lab, office, factory floor and on the job site. In the future, Jigsaw intends to offer an optional, separately purchasable Silicone Sleeve and Travel Case is for added protection. Jigsaw will include the Silicone Sleeve and the Travel Case (along with a cool 3x Magnifier) as Stretch Goals.
13. Works GREAT with Pingz: Jigsaw’s Image-Based Zoom And Point (ZAP) Video App. Stop Typing…Start Talking! Pingz makes it easy to communicate with your customers, colleagues and contractors by combining your pictures, your voice and your highlights—simply and quickly. With Pingz, simply record a ZAP video message by swiping, talking and pointing at your images the same way you would if they were next to you and then share the result via text, email or social media. It’s that easy to make your point, personally. Download Pingz at www.getpingz.com.
For more info on the QLite Pro, please visit www.qlitepro.com.
The following table summarizes the Reward Levels we've established for the QLite Pro.
As you will see below, as of 19APR15, we're offering a NEW, LOWER COST MODEL, the QLite Pro DX, which is optimized for home and office use versus use in the field or the job site. In addition, we are also offering two somewhat unusual Reward Levels, the $1 or More Reward Level With No Reward and the $10k OEM / Private Label Priority Reward Level. There is more info on each of these unique levels below. Otherwise, in general, we think the Reward Levels are fairly self-explanatory, but if you have questions or requests, please feel free to send us a message via KickStarter or email us via firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. VERY EARLY BIRD FOR NEW, LOWER COST MODEL the QLite Pro DX. Based on requests by a number of users, the QLite Pro DX is optimized for use in the home or office where charging more frequently is not a problem and the ability to charge your smartphone while using the QLite Pro is not essential. The QLite Pro DX features a smaller battery than that of the QLite Pro (1,700 mAh vs. 2,600 mAh). In addition, the QLite Pro DX does NOT include the ability to charge smartphones, since users in an office or home environment have other ready means for doing so. With the smaller battery and simpler charging circuit, we can realize significant cost savings, which we intend to pass on in the form of this lower cost model for home or office users. We believe the QLite Pro DX will carry an online retail price of $35 USD, so the Very Early Bird for the QLite Pro DX, priced at $25, represents a savings of about 29%.
2. $1 or More NO Reward Level (PROMETHEUS). If you back the campaign with a pledge of $1 or More with NO REWARD, and assuming we conclude a successful KickStarter campaign, we will accumulate these wonderful donations and for every $65 we accumulate ("SEEKER OF LIGHT" Reward Level plus U.S. Shipping Costs), we will donate a QLite Pro to a non-profit library, school, hospital or animal clinic, since we believe QLite Pro units may significantly benefit such institutions. We call this level "Prometheus" because it enables us to "bring light" to those who may need it. If you have a favorite non-profit organization you would like us to consider as a candidate to receive a donated QLite Pro, please drop us an email-- either as a comment along with your donation or directly via email@example.com.
3. About Bulk Pack Reward Levels. Because of the relative expense of shipping internationally, we are not currently supporting international shipment of the 2, 5 and 10-Pack multiple unit Reward Levels. If you are overseas and really want a bunch of QLite Pros, drop us a line and we'll see about adding another Reward Level or two. Also, if you are interested in discussing overseas distribution for the QLite Pro, please contact us.
4. $10k OEM / PRIVATE LABEL PRIORITY Reward Level. As you may have seen from the Rewards Section, we have established a a $10k OEM / Private Label Priority Reward Level. Intended for companies desiring to either OEM or private label the QLite Pro, with this Reward, we will send one of our very precious prototype QLite Pro units to this backer and we will also enter into discussions with them on a priority deal for a Private Label or OEM contract. We can think of one or two logos that would look very good on the QLite Pro besides ours. If you have questions about THIS reward, you can send us a message via the usual channels or email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you soon.
IV. STRETCH GOALS
1. Stretch Goal No. 1: $142,500-- QLite Pro Silicone Rubber Protective Sleeve. If the QLite Pro KickStarter Campaign attains $142,500 in pledges, then Jigsaw will include a QLite Pro Silicone Rubber Protective Sleeve with every unit. The Silicone Sleeve (see artist's concept, below) will conform to and securely mount directly to the QLite Pro to enhance the grip of the unit and provide additional protection for the unit from impact damage. Jigsaw estimates that the QLite Pro Silicone Rubber Protective Sleeve will have a retail value of approximately $3 to $5. At present, we're planning on red for the QLite Pro Silicone Rubber Protective Sleeve, but we will let our backers vote on the color if we reach the goal.
2. Stretch Goal No. 2: $192,500-- QLite Pro Travel Case and Magnifier. If the QLite Pro KickStarter Campaign attains $192,500 in pledges, then Jigsaw will include a QLite Pro Travel Case and a 3x Magnifier with every unit. The Travel Case will provide a handy and safe place to store your QLite Pro and accessories and will likely be based on a neoprene sleeve or a hinged foam case similar to the one shown in the artist’s concept below. The QLite Pro 3x Magnifier turns the QLite Pro into a handheld, illuminated magnifier-- similar to products that retail for $25 to $100 by themselves. The 3x Magnifier will mount on the QLite Pro using the QLite Pro's secure, universal mount. Combined with the brilliant LED floodlight illumination of the QLite Pro, the 3x Magnifier will provide an enhanced, wide field of view capability for examining small features and items or reading fine print. Jigsaw estimates that the QLite Pro Travel Case and Magnifier will have a retail value of approximately $10 to $15.
(Updated 19APR15) Assuming we reach our goal on KickStarter in thirty (30) days, we anticipate the QLite Pro Production Schedule will proceed as indicated in the Schedule Summary below, which is why we are confident we will be able to deliver production units to our Backers in September, 2015. To see a more detailed schedule or to track progress, please visit www.qlitepro.com/blog.
VI. DETAILED SPECS & REGULATORY COMPLIANCE
1. Detailed Specs. To see the complete (preliminary) specifications for the QLite Pro, please visit www.qlitepro.com/specs. We will update these specs as features and capabilities become definitized.
2. Regulatory Compliance. We intend to conduct a full regimen of consumer electronics regulatory compliance tests and certifications on the QLite Pro before we ship units to backers. In particular, we intend to certify compliance with the following regulations:
- FCC B
To minimize regulatory compliance risk related to safety (CE and ETL), we have carefully selected a Li-Ion battery that is UL and CE certified and which also features Cell Pack Protection, which works as a secondary safety mechanism to prevent overcurrent and overvoltage conditions that might occur during discharge or charging. In addition, we have selected a well proven commercial battery charge controller which provides primary protection against such faults.
Relative to EMI/EMC testing (FCC B and CE), we have already conducted preliminary scans on the current 2nd Generation (V1.2) Prototypes, and they showed favorable results. We currently intend to build risk versions of the 3rd Generation (Final V1.3) PCB and PCBA prior to completion of the KickStarter campaign so that we may conduct regulatory testing immediately after completion of the KickStarter campaign, but prior to receiving first article (or production) units from our Contract Manufacturer. We are taking this additional step so that shipments of production units are not delayed due to compliance lab availability and to make sure that the first article PCB and PCBA will pass compliance testing.
Because we perceive compliance to be a low (technical risk), we have already designed the rear label, shown below. Note that the simple instructions for the unit are located on the label:
Once we get the KickStarter campaign underway, we will get a FAQ up on the KickStarter site and also at www.qlitepro.com/faq.
VIII. USE OF FUNDS
As indicated in the video and the photos, we've already built a fully functional prototype QLite Pro with all of the anticipated key features of the production units. In fact, what you see in the pictures and videos is 2nd generation prototype, not counting the first ideas we had when we originally contemplated this product. We're raising funds via KickStarter to transition the QLite Pro into production. Expenses associated with production include Non-Recurring (one time) and Recurring costs (scales with the number of units purchased).
1. Key Non-Recurring Costs we will incur as we start production include the following items:
- Tooling for the QLite Pro's ABS Plastic Body and other plastic components
- Tooling for the QLite Pro's Metal Components (e.g. the spring-tensioned mounting clip)
- Tooling for the QLite Pro's Printed Circuit Board (PCB)
- Tooling for Test Fixtures for the QLite Pro's PCB and PCB Assembly (PCBA)
- Regulatory Testing for FCC, ETL and CE Compliance
- Tooling for the QLite Pro's Packaging elements
2. Key Recurring Costs we will incur as we transition to production include the volume procurement of the following items that comprise the QLite Pro's Bill of Materials (BOM) along with the labor for procurement, assembly and test:
- PCBA Components (LEDs, Connectors, Switches, Controllers, Miscellaneous Resistors, Capacitors, etc.)
- ABS Plastic Body and associated components
- Optical Components for the Shaped Illumination Capability
- Universal Mount Hardware (Metal Components)
- Miscellaneous Mechanical Items (e.g., standoffs, screws, 1/4-20 tripod insert, etc.)
- Packaging Materials
- Labor for Assembly, Test and Packaging
- Inbound Shipping (to Jigsaw)
IX. ABOUT THE QLITE PRO TEAM
We have a GREAT team working on the QLite Pro and our other smartphone accessory products. Key people who have contributed to getting the QLite Pro this far include the following:
- Joan Wood-- Jigsaw co-founder and VP and long time friend who helped with many of the original ideas and concepts for the QLite Pro. Joan is also the "mother" of ZAP Video Messaging.
- Chris Rea-- our very talented initial Mechanical Engineering Intern (currently attending RPI) who helped with the original handheld unit designs, 3D models and prototype implementations.
- Hank Semenec-- our most excellent Senior Electrical Engineer and long time friend who designed the circuitry for the QLite Pro and who has managed the engineering of the project.
- Peter Pressesky-- our current and also very talented Mechanical Designer and Industrial Design Intern (currently attending San Jose State) who has been instrumental in the ergonomics and aesthetics of the current design (which we think are awesome!).
- Taylor Thomas-- our Finance Specialist who has stepped up to help with product marketing, ZAP Video creation and a bit of on-screen talent modeling to get this submission to KickStarter done (all this despite his attending Texas A&M).
- Rob Ligeti-- Jigsaw Marcom Director who's done all the creative work on branding of the QLite Pro. Basically, if you see something on the QLite Pro that is not black or white, it's probably Rob's handiwork.
- "Aunt" Jen Wood-- Jigsaw Marketing Manager who is responsible for helping market QLite Pro via social media.
- Curran Sinha-- Jigsaw EE Intern (currently at Cornell University) who assisted with the development of the first QLite Pro PCB and PCBA.
- Aaron Casey-- Jigsaw Marketing Intern (currently at Oregon, bane of the PAC 12) who also assisted with the industrial design of the 2nd generation QLite Pro prototype.
- Cody Codestar-- Official Jigsaw Hound and resident morale booster.
- Ross Smith-- Jigsaw Co-founder and CEO and (altogether too) occasional angler. Also fan of the Stanford Cardinal (adopted team)and the University of Texas at Austin (my alma mater) (hence the barbs about Oregon and Texas A&M, both of which are actually exceptional schools).
I would also like to express my thanks to Oliver Kuelert, our most excellent trainee and Frank Madren, Jigsaw's Product Marketing and Operations Spiritual Guide. Also, special thanks go to Bill ("Biru") Gentry and Ravi Vedant at Imagical Arts (www.imagicalarts.net) who provided the music for our video.
We look forward to adding your name as one of our KickStarter backers, to this list!
X. ABOUT JIGSAW
Jigsaw Informatics, Inc. (“Jigsaw”) is a Silicon Valley startup founded by seasoned tech pioneers whose mission is to help mobile device users solve information problems through app-specific tools and clever accessories. Free apps available from Jigsaw today on the App Store include ConnectQR™ QR code creation app and Pingz and ZapVM apps for image-based, Zoom and Point (ZAP) video message creation and sharing, all of which enable mobile device users to create and share integrated, multimedia messages that document important aspects of life, whether business or personal, serious or fun, practical or entertaining. For more info on Jigsaw, please visit www.jigsaw.info.
Risks and challenges
Because we have built several fully functional prototypes, we believe we have mitigated most of the risks associated with this project. In particular, we believe that we have eliminated the design risk associated with the project completely. Part of this confidence in the design being solid comes from the fact that the core team that has developed the QLite Pro has been working together for about 20 years , and in that time we have developed and delivered dozens of successful, complex hardware and software products including 3D graphics chips and boards, video games, arcade game systems, embedded computers, flight simulation systems and numerous other products. Our experienced development team, coupled with the working prototypes we have made (2 generations), provide solid confidence in the design. However, there are risks that we may incur in scaling from prototype to production.
Our primary strategy for mitigating the transition risk is to pick a very solid Contract Manufacturing (CM) partner who has exceptional experience in building consumer electronics products. The partner we have selected has been in business for over 20 years (like us) and is certified to ISO 9001:2000, ISO 13485:2003 and is UL Registered. They currently manufacture products that range from consumer and commercial electronics to regulated medical instruments. By selecting a solid production manufacturing partner, we believe that we have taken the most important step we can to address potential transition risks. Nonetheless, there remain some risks of concern, and we outline them below, along our mitigation strategy for addressing them:
1. Injection Molded ABS Plastic-- the current QLite Pro prototypes produced to date are made from 3D printed nylon, with hand finishing in some areas. The production units will be injection molded ABS plastic that will be machine finished, which will dramatically reduce the unit cost and selling price, while at the same time making the units highly durable for use in a wide range of application environments. The principal risk we incur in transitioning to ABS plastic relates to schedule, which is associated with the creation of the tooling that is used for the injection molding process and in the finishing and assembly steps associated with the molded parts. In particular, our manufacturing partner will create steel tools from our CAD files for top and bottom parts of the QLite Pro body and several of its components. There may be fit and finish issues associated with these tools that will have to be adjusted as the first articles and then the first production units come off the production line. These adjustments may potentially require additional time to modify the CAD files and resubmit them so to adjust the tooling. To mitigate the risk from this potentiality, we have factored one such cycle of these tool adjustments this into our production schedule. So, assuming there is no more than one set of tooling adjustments, our delivery schedule should not change. If however, we must conduct more than one cycle of tooling adjustments, our delivery schedule could move out in time by a week or two.
2. Other Tooled Components-- in addition to the ABS Plastic, there are some other tooled components in the QLite Pro design (e.g., metal receiver and foam inserts for the secure, universal mount). Similar to the ABS Plastic tooling risk, there is risk that the tooling for these items may require adjustments also. We assume that these other tools may also require one cycle of adjustment between first article and production and we have factored the time required for such a cycle in our production schedule.
3. Long Lead Time (LLT) and "End of Life" (EOL) Components-- The QLite Pro has a relatively simple electronics Bill of Materials. However, there are a few components that do have relatively Long (procurement) Lead Times, and there is also a chance that some of the components may go "End of Life" during the production cycle. To mitigate such LLT issues, Jigsaw is actively working with its manufacturing partner to identify any and all LLT components that could adversely affect the manufacturing schedule and either substitute shorter lead time components or procure sufficient components in advance to ensure the overall project schedule. To mitigate unexpected EOL situations, the vast majority of the components employed in the QLite Pro have multiple sources. And for those few single source items that remain, both our engineers and our manufacturing partner's sourcing personnel have verified the projected EOL timeframes of the components.
4. Regulatory Compliance-- because we must certify compliance with appropriate FCC, CE and ETL regulations, we will need to conduct Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) and Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) with the QLite Pro production level electronics. Since there is some uncertainty in when we will get lab time to conduct the required tests (based on history), we believe it is important to eliminate regulatory testing from the critical path of the QLite Pro schedule. Accordingly, we intend to, at risk and in parallel to our manufacturing partner's efforts, fabricate V1.3 PCBs and PCBAs that will be ready for regulatory testing more-or-less concurrently with the (successful) completion of the KickStarter campaign. Accordingly, we should be able to have regulatory compliance testing completed prior to receipt of first articles, which will simply require a quick scan to make sure they have not compromised compliance.
5. Debugging the First Article Production PCBA-- the V1.1 and V1.2 PCBs and PCBAs we built for the prototype units have a slightly different layout and component Bill of Materials from the production (V1.3) design, so there is a chance there will be some bugs encountered in the initial production of the PCBs and the PCBAs for the first article production units. Because we are fabricating V1.3 PCBs and PCBAs for regulatory compliance testing and we will therefore have working V1.3 units that are functionally equivalent to the production units, we are confident that any such bugs may be resolved in short order. Jigsaw has an extremely experienced debug team and, working with our manufacturing partner, we are confident we will be able to resolve PCB or PCBA bugs in time for a second spin of the PCB (if required), without affecting the proposed delivery schedule. Should a subsequent, but unlikely, spin of the PCB be required, then the schedule may be delayed by a week or two.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)