Why We Think a Smart Battery is…Smart.
No More Chirps!
First of all, we hate those middle-of-the-night, low-battery chirps from our smoke alarms. Anything that eliminates those for the rest of our lives is smart in our book!
Smartphone Notifications Away from Home
Beyond eliminating chirps, we want to know our family, pets, and homes are safe. A notification to our smartphone in the event of a smoke alarm sounding seemed just the thing.
We developed the Smart Battery idea as we watched other smart home companies. They connected people to data in their home. We wanted to connect people to the valuable data in the home. Data that was useful. The smoke alarm was the obvious choice.
UPDATE - New "Replaceable Battery Design"
Announcing a New Stretch Goal!
The Roost Smart Battery – the Retrofit Solution.
Our Smart Battery is a revolutionary approach to the smart home. Roost retrofits your existing smoke alarms. This is a simple, affordable entry to the smart home. No expensive, new, shiny-white gadgets to buy, just a battery, for less than $35 each. When you have 5-10 smoke alarms in your home, that retrofit approach makes a lot of sense! Plus, the battery last for at least 5 years so replace them all, and you’re set for a long time.
We Built Roost with These Values in Mind.
At Roost, we believe a smart home shouldn't break the bank. We believe it should be accessible to everyone. And, we believe the best solutions are simple solutions. With that in mind, we created the Roost Smart Battery:
- Simple. Simple to set-up. Simple to install. Simple to use. The Roost Smart Battery turns existing smoke alarms into connected smart devices in just minutes. Just download our app on your smartphone, connect to your home Wi-Fi and change a 9V battery. No hubs, no wires and no hired contractors required.
- Affordable. Because we’re retrofitting, Roost is more affordable than the alternate connected smoke alarms.
- Accessible. More than 350 Million homes have smoke alarms in the US and over 20% of those have non-working smoke alarms due to missing or dead batteries. We can help solve this! Our retrofit approach and pricing makes a smart home accessible to anyone with a smoke alarm, Wi-Fi and a smartphone.
- Peace of Mind. With Roost you’ll receive emergency alerts – even when you are away from home. You’ll be notified if something is wrong. Being connected to your home? That’s peace of mind.
Setting up Roost in Your Home.
Since we value simplicity, we’re designing our app to be intuitive. The process to set-up Roost will be streamlined:
1. Select your home Wi-Fi network and enter your password.
2. Choose a smoke alarm and name it (let’s say "Upstairs Hallway").
3. The “Upstairs Hallway” smart battery connects to your Wi-Fi and appears as a newly configured device in the Roost app.
4. Install the battery in the "Upstairs Hallway" smoke alarm - and your first one is done!
Repeat steps 2-4 for each battery. Simple.
The App and Notifications.
Our simple app integrates with your existing smoke alarms once your new smart battery is installed.
- Roost will include several notifications such as:
- "Alarm Activated" Alert -- Immediately alerts you when one of your smoke alarm activates – wherever you are.
- Alarm Management -- Quick view status of all your smoke alarms.
- Low Battery Notification -- Notifies you of a low battery weeks before the chirping starts.
- Emergency Contacts -- One-touch access to all important pre-programmed emergency numbers.
The Technical Side.
The Product Demo.
The Technical Specs.
- Size and weight: Same as a typical 9V battery.
- Battery life target: 5+ years.
- Includes: Micro controller and low power Wi-Fi chip powered by lithium battery technology.
- Can be used with any existing smoke alarm or carbon monoxide detector that uses a 9V battery.
- Connects directly to your home access point via low-power Wi-Fi.
- Alarm and battery status sent directly to your smartphone.
The Production Timeline.
The Future - Our Roadmap.
We’re starting with the Roost Smart Battery and have developed a roadmap of other products, once our Smart Battery launches. But we also want to hear from the Kickstarter community as to what else they’d like to have retrofitted in their home.
The Press We’ve Received.
Roost being talked about on Social Media.
- @smartroost interesting product 9V connected battery, looks like I'll be joining a Kickstarter campaign for the first time in 2 years! -Mark Vellinga @markvellinga, Nov 7
- Another awesome new addition to the #IoT family --> @smartroost : Your Smoke Alarm + Your Smartphone + Roost Smart Battery = Peace of Mind --Genia M. @GMiinko, Oct 22
- If this works as advertised, it's a real winner-- blows Nest away. http://smartroost.net --Will Kessler @Atlas3650, Oct 22
- Good Luck! One of the best ideas for a #connectedhome I've seen in a long time! --Christina Bledsoe @BledsoeTalks, Oct 21
- Roost brings critical enabling tech to your house, making it smarter and more like home. --Andy Smith @kabbenbock, Oct 9
- What a clever idea! RoostSmartBattery for Smoke and CO alarms and detectors --Rich @richworklife, Oct 23
- A new twist in IoT. Roost Smart Battery! --The Stanford Group @TheStanfordGrp, Oct 22
- Safety 1st! 9V battery w/ built-in Wi-Fi works w smoke & CO alarms 2 send alerts...@TechReview @smartroost --Lauren Harriman @lmmharriman, Oct 23
Risks and challenges
The Roost team has worked together before and has deep experience in consumer and electronics manufacturing/delivery. Because we don’t have all the needed expertise in-house, we are working with top professionals in the product manufacturing space to realize our product prototypes, quality test our products, manage regulatory requirements, source materials and manufacture at volume. We have further engaged with leading design firms to help us with industrial design and packaging as well as mobile app development, all with the goal of delivering a high quality product to you, on time. But of course there is always risk of unforeseen delays involved with sourcing, manufacturing, importing and shipping product. We promise to make every effort to meet the dates detailed in our pledge descriptions and, if there are any production or shipping delays, we will keep our supporters updated.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (37 days)