Some of you might not realize it, but Rooftop Films is a non-profit organization, and we need your support to make the 2012 Summer Series as exciting as it can possibly be--so make a pledge and become a member today!
On May 11th, Rooftop Films will kick off the 2012 Summer Series, marking the start of our 16th season bringing underground movies to roofs, parks and other scenic locations all across New York City. At Rooftop Films, we’re committed to bringing you an experience that goes beyond sitting in an air conditioned room with a random collection of strangers. By staging our events in amazing locations that are perfectly suited to the subject, we help to bring communities together and change the way that film, music, art and ideas interact with the city around us.
That means that when we screen a documentary about a master boxing coach in rural China, we don’t screen it in a movie theater—we screen it on a roof in Chinatown. When we show a documentary about a bunch of East German skateboarders, the audience doesn’t just sit on chairs—they can also sit on skate ramps and half pipes. And when we screen the debut feature of a fresh young talent, we show it in an outdoor market in Brooklyn, not far from where it was filmed.
Of course, it is a quite a bit more difficult to show films outdoors in exciting new locations every year, so we need your support to get the summer started right! So please pledge now and sign up for a Rooftop Films Summer Series membership so that you can attend each and every Rooftop Films screening this summer.
By supporting this Kickstarter campaign, you’ll be:
· Supporting great events like a special screening of Terence Nance’s An Oversimplification of Her Beauty, preceded by a live musical performance by the filmmaker.
· Helping Rooftop bring filmmakers to New York from all over the world so that you can ask them about how they made their film.
· Making it possible for as many of the cast, crew, and subjects of our films to get the chance to see their movie on a roof in front of hundreds of people.
· Rewarding yourself with great prizes like Rooftop Films Memberships, which get you and your friends in for FREE to every Rooftop show, all summer long.
So who are these filmmakers we want you to help us help you meet?
· Matthew Lillard, star of such films as Scream, and director of Fat Kid Rules the World, a story for anybody who has ever needed to find their inner rock star.
· Florian Habicht, the charming Kiwi filmmaker who directed the clever and wildly entertaining doc/comedy hybrid Love Story, about a chance encounter between a man and a woman on a train that leads to adventure and romance on the streets of New York.
· Director Amy Seimetz, whose sultry Sun Don’t Shine tells the tale of a tense and mysterious road trip through the desolate yet hauntingly beautiful landscape of central Florida.
· Bart Layton, director of the fascinating documentary The Imposter which took Sundance by storm in February.
· Marten Parsiel, director of This Ain’t California, a raucous doc about skateboarding rebels behind the Iron Curtain.
· Director and master ventriloquist Nina Conti, whose highly entertaining and deeply personal Her Master’s Voice won the audience award at SXSW in March.
Now, don’t you want to meet them all?
Rooftop Films is a non-profit organization, and we see it as a part of our mission to present many of our shows for free, and to keep our ticket prices low ($12) when we do charge. Unfortunately, this means that what we make from ticket sales does not even begin to cover what it costs to bring you face to face with the filmmakers whose films you’ve just seen.
So what can you do to help? Pledge to support this Kickstarter campaign, and tell your friends. When you support this campaign, you’re helping the great directors of tomorrow come and explain themselves to you, their audience. And that way, everyone wins.
You know what to do. Pledge today.
- (15 days)