About this project
Paypal total just before the campaign ended: $61,930
Do you want more Awesomenauts? More characters, more modes, more features, more MORE? So do we!
We are ready to take the Awesomenauts you know and love to the next level, but we need your help to get there. Help us make Awesomenauts the ultimate indie MOBA by supporting this Kickstarter for Awesomenauts: Starstorm!
Awesomenauts is the coolest project we have ever worked on. It is amazing to see all of these players come together and form such a dedicated community that is growing to this day. Because of this we have been able to add new characters, features and a new map. We even reached out to the community for skin and balance ideas, and created a brand new character with you: the upcoming Admiral Swiggins!
Now, we have done all that can be done within the current confinements of the game. In order to truly bring Awesomenauts to the next level, we would like to add features that require much more time and effort than we have currently allocated for it. You, our community, have already been so involved in the shaping of Awesomenauts into what it is today, and now you can help us take it to the next step. Help us fund Awesomenauts: Starstorm!
Rewards we have added since the campaign started:
- NEW! All backers will get a free new bonus skin as a cool final extra for the campaign: Digital G! Note that this is not a premium skin and it will be sold on Steam as well.
- A new $50 Reward Tier, with the new exclusive Cyber Coco skin instead of the Ghost Leon skin. In the $75 Tier, you get both exclusive skins!
- $250,000 has been reached, so all backers in Bronze Tier ($50) and up will get a second exclusive announcer: Gnaw!
- The first exclusive announcer will be the omniscient Voltar himself!
- All rewards tiers for $5 and above now also get the complete game Swords & Soldiers on Steam, including the Super Saucy Sausage Fest DLC! This also unlocks the Necro Voltar skin in Awesomenauts.
- $15 Copper Skin Packs 1 and 2 are new!
- All reward Tiers for $30 and above now also get Costume Packs 1 and 2!
The universe is in turmoil as the ever-enduring stalemate between the droid armies of the Ones and Zeros reaches a fever-pitch! Millions of battles have been fought across the scorched wastelands of Sorona, the dense jungle reservation of Ribbit IV, on AI Station 404’s installations and in the recently discovered mystical temple of Aiguillon.
Meanwhile, in the Raki star system, a gigantic remnant of the first AI war drifts near the burning star. This massive unfinished battle station, an abandoned relic of the first generation of robots, is called The Starstorm.
Construction on the station was halted after the defeat of the robots. It was considered to be their ultimate weapon, holding the power to transform the energy from stars into a whirling mass of destruction. Its hull bears thousands of robot ground troops slumbering in their rusty sleep.
The space platform and its robotic legion were thought to be permanently powered down after the first AI war and the station has been idly floating around in space ever since. The Starstorm was never fully operational, until recently...
Emergency reports of the sun imploding into a giant burning space storm have indicated that the Starstorm has somehow been activated. The news of the clearly battle-ready station has drawn the attention of the Ones and Zeros. Both factions have sent their best teams to investigate and secure the station and gain control of the Starstorm’s destructive power!
The pieces are set, the eve of battle approaches once more! Awesomenauts assemble!
Glad you asked! Awesomenauts: Starstorm adds a bunch of characters and new features to the game. We'll go into detail on every new thing below!
- Ted McPain was one of the great heroes of the first AI Wars, a long time ago. Long after his eventual heroic demise, he lived on as he became the star of various video games: Ted McPain I through XVII, Ted McPain: Zombie Blast, Ted McPain vs. Evil Ted McPain and Ted McPain Unicorn Dance Karting. Now Voltar managed to re-materialize Ted. The Ted McPain that appeared, though, was missing his pants for unknown reasons.
- Like a true hero, Ted McPain caries several guns. He can switch between those during combat to vary the manner in which he delivers destruction.
- Class: Brawler
- Sentry is a robot built for infiltration, fooling enemy troops by mimicking anything from an umbrella to a phone booth. After re-activating aboard the Starstorm and finding it overrun by hostile mercenaries, Sentry chose to join them undercover. Biding his time to exact revenge, gathering enough Solar to buy a very serious tank. One with a shark printed on the front!
- Sentry can activate his shield to collect damage, shooting it back at his opponents when the shield ends.
- Class: Tank
- Skree, the powerful but superstitious techno shaman, found himself all alone on an abandoned space station: the Starstorm, filled with mighty looking robots. Thinking the disabled robots were gods, he spent his time collecting different parts of the battle station to create shrines for them. While connecting robot parts and machine scraps to form huge robotic statues and altars, he accidentally activated the mainframe of the Starstorm, re-powering the entire battle station! Frightened by his now activated robotic gods, Skree decided he didn't want to worship them anymore. What better way to travel the universe in search of new spirit-gods, than to join the Awesomenauts?
- When Skree positions his board on the ground, he becomes invisible for several seconds. Then the board rushes straight back to him, damaging everything in its way.
- Class: Assassin
Ted McPain, Sentry X-58 and Skree have all lived through parts of the Starstorm story, so they will have special voice lines for when they encounter each other in battle.
All characters will also be added to the Playstation 4 version of the Starstorm expansion.
Along with these new characters, the Starstorm expansion will add a bunch of awesome new features:
- Spectator Mode allows your friends to watch your matches! They can freely move the camera, switch which character to follow, and investigate what all the players have bought. Spectators will view the match with a thirty second delay to avoid foul play. This makes Spectator Mode perfect for streaming tournament matches.
Players will only be able to spectate a match after receiving an invitation from one of the active players, and the number of spectators that can view a game simultaneously is limited. If the “Replays” stretch goal below is made, we will also extend the Spectator Mode so that public matches can be viewed by an unlimited number of people.
- We will add global chat in the main menu. Discuss the latest tactics, find people to play Private Matches with, and talk about that sick Froggy G & Derpl combo you saw in that match you just spectated.
- For ultimate precision with controllers, we will add an optional second control scheme: twin stick! One stick to walk, the other stick to aim. With this, those who prefer a controller over a mouse can get the same killer aim as mouse players. The old control scheme will of course also still be available to play with.
- Along with the 3 new theme songs and killing spree songs of the new characters, there will also be 2 new songs added to the regular soundtrack. More variation, more beats, more awesomeness!
The Awesomenauts: Starstorm expansion will be released as paid downloadable content for Awesomenauts on Steam, and all backers in the Copper tier or above will gain access to it as soon as it launches. Only those who own the expansion will be able to play the new characters, make use of the Spectator mode feature and hear the new music. Those who do not own the Starstorm expansion can still join your games, chat, use the twin-stick controller support and fight alongside or against other players who have the new characters.
Awesomenauts: Starstorm will also come to Playstation 4 as a paid downloadable DLC. However, you will not receive a key for the Playstation 4 version of Starstorm as part of this Kickstarter project. The new music and the twin-stick controls will also be available in the Playstation 4 version of the Starstorm expansion, while Spectator Mode and Global Chat will not.
We are Ronimo Games and are the creators of Awesomenauts and Swords & Soldiers. We started our own indie studio about six years ago because we wanted to make the games we'd love to play. So far we have been lucky enough to do just that!
We are located in Utrecht, the Netherlands, and our design philosophy is to make games with a strong core. Gameplay that is unique, fun to play and has a lot of depth, while also being clear enough to pick up and enjoy right away. We strive for strong 2D visuals with our own personal twist to them and with tons of little details to discover.
Being hardcore Awesomenauts players ourselves, we are as excited for these new features as we hope you are!
Game development is expensive and the new features we want to add to Awesomenauts are HUGE. It takes a lot of time and money to create these and we cannot pay all of that ourselves. In order to keep the new characters and balance improvements coming, and to really make a big splash with new features, we are asking for your help to fund it!
Once we reach our main goal, we will go on a journey that will see Awesomenauts: Starstorm become the biggest, baddest, and most Awesomemest indie multiplayer game ever imagined by anything remotely related to mankind. But our vision stretches much further than that: with these stretch goals the game will grow much further and will give you tons of possibilities to play around and tweak the experience to how you want to play it.
A new map and a new song will be added to the Awesomenauts: Starstorm expansion when we reach this stretch goal. The map will play on the epic Starstorm battle station itself. This is a perilous environment, full of automated devices like guns and flamethrowers. These will fire at predictable intervals, resulting in tense combat as you try to move yourself and your opponent in and out of certain areas at certain timings. On this tense map it can make all the difference whether you move out right before or after a gun starts firing!
Only players who own Awesomenauts: Starstorm will be able to select this map in Private and Practice matches. Players who do not own the map will still be able to join matches in it, so everyone will still be playing together.
Along with this map, the soundtrack will also be extended with another new song.
If we reach this bonus stretch goal, all backers in Bronze Tier and up will get a second exclusive announcer: Gnaw!
If we reach this stretch goal, we will add a lobby browser and support for customizable matches to the game.
- Change your Private Matches and Practice Games into something completely different. Feel like playing another game mode like Team Deathmatch? Go right ahead! Want to turn all Droids into Super Droids and play without Turrets? Do it! Or maybe you want to double the speed, triple the damage, halve the cooldowns, make all items free and remove all stuns? Now you can! Always dreamed of playing against ten Froggy G bots? Stop dreaming, start fragging!
- Only players who own the Awesomenauts: Starstorm expansion will be able to host Custom Games. Those who do not own the Awesomenauts: Starstorm expansion can still join your Custom Games, so there will always be plenty of people to play with. The user base will not be split into who does or does not own the DLC: regardless of whether you own it or not, all players will still be playing together in the same matches.
- You can use the lobby browser to join public Custom Games, look for specific types of matches, and even to play unranked normal matches! When you set your Custom Game to Public, everyone can see it in the lobby browser, view the settings, and join it. Games can be open for drop-in-drop-out, or limited to only let others join before the match starts. There is of course also the option to set your Custom Game to Private and play with only your friends.
This is a bonus stretch goal: if we make it to $290,000, we will add a fourth character to Awesomenauts: Starstorm!
We're still working out the details on this one, but what we would like to do is have this 'Naut work with an all-new Combo Points system. Blast enemies to rack up Combo Points that can then be used to empower your abilities! You have to decide on which skill to empower though, because your racked-up points will be reset once you've used 'em. Here are some sketches we have for different directions for this new female character:
Three characters not enough? If this stretch goal is met, we add a fourth! Also, an extra song will be added to the soundtrack (in addition to the character's own theme song and killing spree, of course).
If this stretch goal is met, we will release a level editor so that you can create your own custom Awesomenauts maps and share them using Steam Workshop.
- Make your own levels! We will release the editor that we used ourselves to make the levels, so that you can use it to create your own. All the art from the original maps will be available for you to create your own new maps and your own levels will be available for play in Custom Games. You can also save a set of Custom Game settings with your map to let it truly become a mod that changes the entire experience.
- Maps and Custom Game settings can be shared through Steam Workshop, so that you can quickly find the best levels and most popular game settings, rate them, and easily get updates for all of them.
- Check this video for an overview of the tools of the Ronitech. This video also shows the tools in the other stretch goals, so only the parts about the level editor apply to this specific stretch goal!
More character! More song! More! MOAR!
Create your own characters through our own settings editor! This is some pretty complex stuff for hardcore modders: it gives enormous flexibility to come up with new characters and play them in the game. You can also create new characters by changing existing ones, enabling you to try your own ideas for balance and gameplay changes. These new characters can be selected in Custom Games and shared using Steam Workshop, so even if you are not a modder yourself, you will have great fun with the Nauts that others have created.
Make your own AIs! This can be used to create new bots and to create specific behaviours for your own new characters, adding a lot of possibilities to the Character Editor. The holy trinity of Level Editor, Character Editor and AI Editor will enable you, the community, to create an enormous variation of mods, including even single player levels and mini-RPGs! Also, if the community creates some really good bots, we will add those to the main game!
All additional characters from the stretch goals will also come to the Playstation 4 version of the Starstorm expansion, as will the new map, new music and customizable games. The editors, the replay system and the spectator mode will not come to the Playstation 4 version.
So now that we've told you about all the cool stuff we are going to do if you support us in this Kickstarter adventure, it is time to tell you about the awesome rewards you can scoop up!
Wood Tier - You can become an Awesomenauts: Starstorm Supporter for as little as five bucks. We are grateful for all the support: you have our sword, bow, axe, and our thanks. Also, you will receive some pretty awesome digital Awesomenauts wallpapers when the Kickstarter concludes. As a bonus, you also get a Steam key for our previous game Swords & Soldiers, including the Super Sausy Sausage Fest DLC and the Necro Voltar skin in Awesomenauts.
Copper Game Pack Tier – We will send you a key for the Awesomenauts: Starstorm expansion when it launches. You will receive the key just before the first character in the expansion goes live, which is most likely some time around November. You will also receive a copy of Awesomenauts, a copy of the digital soundtrack, as well as the rewards from the Wood Tier above.
Copper Skin Pack Tiers – These are the same as the Copper Game Pack Tier, but instead of the game, you get either Costume Pack 1 or Costume Pack 2. So this package contains the Starstorm DLC, the digital soundtrack, the rewards from the Wood Tier and one of the two skin packs, depending on which one you choose.
Iron Tier - You up the ante – we up the ante! In addition to all the cool stuff we've outlined above, we will also give you access to the Awesomenauts: Starstorm Beta if you donate $30 or more! This will allow you to take the new characters out for a spin weeks before they hit the actual game, try out the new maps before anybody else, and check out the new features while they are still in development. You will also get access to the Beta forums, and we will take your feedback into account while polishing up our content. The first Beta for Awesomenauts: Starstorm will probably go live around October.
Bronze Tier – For donating $50 or more, you will receive everything included in the Iron Tier as well as an exclusive Ghost Leon skin. This skin will only be available to Backers of this campaign, so no “timed-exclusive-so-just-get-it-some-other-way-later” or any of that stuff! You'll also get two exclusive announcers: Voltar and Gnaw! We are also going to put together a digital art book featuring everything from doodles made after the very first brainstorm session to concept art for new mechanics and characters that never made it into the game. All of these things should be ready before the end of the year.
Bronze Coco Tier – This is the same as the normal Bronze Tier, but instead of the Ghost Leon skin, you get the exclusive Cyber Coco skin.
Silver Tier – Remember when you used to put up posters of your favourite TV-shows up on your wall? Well, better make some room if you're donating $75 or more because you'll be getting an Awesomenauts: Starstorm poster (12" x 18") that's so cool it will make all your other posters wish they were born in the eighties as well. You get BOTH the exclusive Ghost Leon skin and the exclusive Cyber Coco skin. You will also get a special silver Killer Koala icon that will be visible in the in-game scoreboard and the leaderboards, and it will mark you as an initiate in Ted McPain's legendary band of mercenaries. You also get everything from the Bronze Tier, and an extra copy of Awesomenauts, Awesomenauts: Starstorm, and the official soundtrack (so you can get a friend of yours hooked on the game as well). All of this should be ready before the year ends.
Gold Tier – You played it, you loved it, and now you can wear it! We've designed a couple of Awesomenauts and Awesomenauts: Starstorm themed t-shirts and if you donate $100 you can choose one of those. We will send it to your doorstep, and you will get all the goodies from the Silver Tier as well. To thank you for your generosity and acknowledge your contribution to the continued development of Awesomenauts, we will also include your name in the Special Thanks section of the Awesomenauts credits. It's hard to predict when the shirts will be ready, but we'll do our very best to try and get them to you before the new year.
Thorium Tier – Decisions, decisions. So there are three Awesomenauts t-shirts and you just can't choose which one you like most? Don't fret, if you donate $160 or more, you'll get them all! In addition to the other goodies that were included in the Gold Tier, you will also get to name an in-game bot. Name it after yourself, that special someone in your life, your dog, your own Awesomenauts clan... as long as it's not anything rude m'kay? We'll try to get you the shirts as soon as possible, and you will get to name the bot right after the campaign ends.
Plutonium Clunk Tier – If you make a donation of $250 or more, you will get a Golden Killer Koala in-game scoreboard / leaderboard icon, so that you can show the world that you're a veteran of the First AI War and fought alongside the legendary Ted McPain. We will also send you a 4” Clunk figurine. These are being created in a limited quantity. It is uncertain when the Clunk figurine will go into production, but we'll try to get it to you as soon as possible. It will most likely arrive at your house some time early next year.
Plutonium Vinyl Tier – If you're still rocking an old record player, you can opt to receive an exclusive Awesomenauts LP instead of the Clunk figurine if you donate $250 or more. The record includes the smash hits “You Will Always Be My Only Awesomenaut”, the Awesomenauts Main Theme, and a massive remix of a whole bunch of in-game tracks. We will even get the entire team to sign the record sleeve, making it a true collector's item! It will be the same as the Plutonium Clunk Tier in all other regards, so you also receive the Golden Killer Koala icon and the contents from the Thorium Tier. The records have already been produced and we will send you those as soon as possible after the campaign ends. That might still take one or two months though.
Awesomantium Tier – Want the signed Awesomenauts record AND the Clunk figurine? We've got you covered if you donate $450 or more! Because you're so awesome and we're so thankful we will also put your name in the Very Awesome Thanks section of the credits. In fact, we are going to be making a small shrine in the drop zone of each and every Awesomenauts map that lists the names of all the people who donated this amount or more. You will receive the record within a couple of months after the campaign ends. The other goodies will come some time early next year. Your name will be added to the drop-zone shrine and credits shortly after the campaign ends.
Zurian Overlord Tier – For $1000, you get to name an upgrade for one of the upcoming characters, come up with an idea for the visual design of the store / loadout icon, and decide the flavour text. You're free to create anything, as long as it's not rude or offensive. You'll also get the rewards from the Awesomantium Tier. We will get in touch with you for the item design when we have a new character available. This could be anywhere from October till mid-2014, depending on the amount of characters we reached in the stretch goals and which one you want to get involved in.
Zork Industries VIP Tier – For donating $5000 or more, we will treat you like a real VIP. And as is due for a VIP of your stature we will put up a statue of you, or something else of your choice, in one of the maps (as long as it's not offensive or inappropriate). Your statue will probably be in the new map, which we expect will go live around Spring or Summer 2014. You're also going to get a tremendous amount of goodies: everything included in the Zurian Overlord tier!
Cakemantium Tier – The crème de la crème, the cream of the crop, the cherry on top of the... well... cake! For donating $10,000 or more you will get everything we have talked about so far, and will get to decide on your very own 100% exclusive and 100% custom character skin. That's right, you can design a skin that we will make for one of the Awesomenauts, you can provide voice work for it, and we will give you a bunch of keys for it. You can give those to all your friends, or even decide that you will be the only person in the entire world to play with that particular skin. It's all up to you, as long as it is technically feasible and not offensive or anything. You will also be invited to join the development team in Utrecht, the Netherlands, for a fun day at our office! Talk about the development, try out new content, do some brainstorming with us on cool stuff, take a look at our development process, and just hang out, chill & chat. Our producer Robin will even bake you a cake, which is unique because he's never done that for anybody else on the team. You're welcome any time after the campaign ends, just let us know in advance. Also, you will have to arrange for travel to Utrecht and your stay there yourself.
Risks and challenges
The features we are going to add if this Kickstarter campaign is successful are complex to develop. For example, the more characters there are, the more combinations of interactions between them are possible. For those wondering whether we are capable of actually creating them: just have a look at Awesomenauts itself! The same team that made the game in the first place will also develop Awesomenauts: Starstorm. We were capable of making that game, so we can also make an extension for it!
An important thing to realise is that the details of all the features we will add, are subject to change. If they turn out to not be fun, or to not work in the way we imagine them now, then we will have to modify them. If for example a specific skill for one of the characters turns out to be impossible to balance, or is simply not fun, then we will replace it with something better. We will always strive to make something in line with the core ideas presented in this Kickstarter, and you will definitely get something awesome!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)