Publish or Perish - Clash fun and Science! (Canceled)
Publish or Perish - Clash fun and Science! (Canceled)
A Family Board Game that turns your phone into a Particle Collider! Also teaches kids the scientific method ;)
A Family Board Game that turns your phone into a Particle Collider! Also teaches kids the scientific method ;) Read more
Thank you again for your support during our campaign!
We have learnt tons. We now know what to do to make a project you will love! We will make a game twice as fun, better and bigger with a stronger campaign. So stick with us, we will keep you updated!
If you visited this campaign after it was finished, you can still help us bring the game back! Just visit our webpage and subscribe to get all the news about the progress of the new campaign brewing! ;)
Get the best of both worlds! The immersive, fun factor of a mobile game with the social and interactive aspect of a boardgame will make you fall in love with Publish or Perish - a true hybrid game that clashes fun and science!
This Augmented Reality deduction board game for 1 to 5 players is the perfect tool for getting your kids into physics!
Publish or Perish is a cooperative family game where everyone is a winner. Play as a team of scientists and try to beat the game together. Spend time with your family discovering new, secret properties of particles!
To discover the secret property of each particle, the science team will have to show a full spectrum of skills and abilities that a true scientist has: deduction, risk management, insight, cooperation, keeping track of incoming information and communication. Does that sound too hard for your children? Don’t worry, for the game is extremely easy to handle and narrows down to a straightforward deduction game enhanced by the fun and colorful application!
Barry Doublet from the Dice Tower and his daughter Charlotte review the game! :D
This game is not about being a Super Hero or saving the world. The goal is to win the Nobel Prize! Science is important for the future of our children, discovering the secrets of the most basic components of physics may be the key to the understanding the universe :)
Every scientist will take turns to use the mobile device which will be transformed into a Particle Collider! How cool is that? By picking two particles from different groups and clashing them against each other, you will discover their secret properties. The result of the experiment can be noted down in the research notebook and compared to the other experiments the team has performed, to deduct the value you are looking for! Next, you can publish your discoveries to score points and reach the ultimate goal of winning the Nobel Prize and therefore Winning the Game!
While playing this game you don’t only practice the scientific method but you also learn about real sub-atomic particles! Electrons, Protons, Neutrons… All of them generate points in accordance to their rarity! From time to time players will be thrilled to stumble across super rare particles such as the elusive Higgs Boson or the theoretical Graviton! Finding their secret property can push the research lightyears ahead of our time!
The app takes on the role of the “Keeper of Secrets”, plays animations and sounds, shows the results of the experiments and publications, randomizes events and provides a great immersive experience. The particles will have different properties assigned to them every game to assure no two games are ever the same!
About the mobile device:
"Why do kids need a mobile device to play this game? Don't they spend enough time in front of the screen already? I don't even want mobile devices in my board games..." All of those are valid points, however kids will disagree with you. They see the world from the totally opposite perspective and that's why this game is the perfect middle ground for joining together different generations.
If the fact that kids love this game doesn't convince you can replace the app and change the game at will! The game has been designed to provide you no limitations, only fun! We believe that families should have a great time without the technology too!
Please read the FAQ at the end of the page if you have questions about the app!
Getting kids to learn anything can be hard sometimes. That's why games are fantastic way of sneakily teaching kids anything! Here is what you can expect to learn from the game:
- Scientific method: making experiments, noting down the results and repeating the process all over again is the best way of learning this skill!
- Physics: most of the known sub-atomic particles are in the game. You will learn that Electrons have a negative charge and that a Proton is actually made up of Quarks!
- Cooperation over Competition: because we can achieve much more if we work together. Collaboration and teamwork is a great skill to have!
- Math: you heard right! You or your kid will be solving deductive problems similar to simple equations!
- Time Management: in Publish or Perish the clock is always ticking! Planning the moves you have left is the key of mastering the game.
- Science is Fun: it's very important to not be afraid of the "scary" subjects in school. If you love science as much as we do, give your kid a reason to fall in love with it as well.
I am really happy you made it this far reading through the text. I would like to share my story with you. My name is Marcin, and this is how this project came about.
The truth is my son had never been interested in physics or maths or other scientific subjects. He was passionate about playing games on my smartphone, despite me and my wife’s best intentions.
Having always had a keen interest in physics I decided I would make a game that would interest him. I got in touch with some professionals in the field to make sure that the game would be scientifically accurate. I got together with some friends and started developing. My team came up with a physics based hybrid board game for the whole family called Publish or Perish.
I designed this game with the idea of the "Publish or Perish" in mind where only the best scientists survive. The competitive rules of the game dictated that players should play against each other to see who could publish some research first. I thought this was a great idea until the first testing session with kids came along. The children automatically started cooperating with each other, showing each other what they had found and deduced! We previously designed our cards so that they could be hidden with ease. Imagine my surprise when I found them face up on the table, being shared along with the results of the experiments.
After repeated testing the fact seemed indisputable. The game changed and became the cooperative game you can see. This turned out to be a big life lesson for me of how while trying to educate our children, they may end up educating us.
This is the description of the pledges we created to thank you for your amazing support! If you have any questions regarding the rewards or you would like a combination that doesn't exists (like an extra poster or t-shirt) please write us a comment and we will make it happen for you!
- Scientific e-book about subatomic particles: every person that lives with a kid has to constantly answer questions that could put even the most renowned scientists like Albert Einstein or Peter Higgs to shame. This book will help you fill up on your trivia about Quantum Physics and hopefully help you answer a question or two.
- Personalized thank you email: because we love you so much, to show our gratitude we will send you a personalized email as soon as the campaign is over. Expect a small surprise inside ;)
- Post-cards: you will get a set of 4 different postcards to send your science geek friends. They will feature our super cute particle characters! (Preview soon)
- Extra notebook: every game includes 1 research notebook that players use to note down the results of the experiments, you will have an extra one so you don't have to worry about printing more for your little (or not so little) scientists!
- HD Wallpaper: your will be able to customize your computer or phone with a super awesome HD wallpaper that will gather the sub-atomic family together! (Preview soon)
- T-Shirt: feel awesome with the Publish or Perish T-Shirt! Super funny and high quality material clothes with two versions. One for kids and another for adults. Ideal for fans of the game and real scientists, who know the push for publishing. :D (Preview soon) (Preview soon)
- The game: all the basic components and stretch goals will be included in every game. 70 cards, 2 boards, 1 research notebook, 3 pawns and the rules manual. This also includes the mobile app which you can download for free.
- New event for the game: collaborate with us and help us shape the game! You will be the main designer in one extra event of the game. Publish or Perish will be bigger and better thanks to you! <3 (includes skype session chat with all the team!)
- CERN Visit: this is THE treat for you and your favorite little scientist. We will visit the biggest Large Hadron Collider in the world! We will take care of everything, so you’re just free to enjoy one of the best days of your life. The prize is individual so if you want to bring the family with you, you just need to add an extra $999 to your pledge per family member (Transport to Geneva is unfortunately outside our reach :( )
Rombo Games is the company behind Publish or Perish. It was created to bring this and many more amazing next generation family board games to life! We are an independent studio, committed utterly to create new interactive experiences in approachable, easy to learn board games that will be able to join generations to have tons of fun together.
Wow! You made it all the way here! In case you don't know, you are the best! If you would want to support us even further, please like and share our social media pages... it's a minute for you but we will be eternally grateful!
The game can be shipped to any country in European Union, United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Brazil, Singapore, Hong Kong and South Korea.
For the backers from the European Unions there are no extra customs charges! For the backers from other countries listed above customs do not apply only if the chosen pledge consist of no more than one box of the game.
For the delivery to any other country not listed above, please contact us via private message.
Please leave us a comment with your questions or if you just simply like us, we promise not to blush too much :)
Risks and challenges
Game design is finished along with testing and graphic materials. Everything is prepared to send the order to the factory! The app is ready to play the game. We plan to improve it still a lot but the core that guarantees the fun is ready :)
We’ve spent a lot of time creating Publish or Perish, and it’s been a labor of love for us. We’ve researched all the production and shipping charges and know that we can deliver the game at this price if we’re able to raise our goal of $20,000. As such, we’re only asking for as much money as we need to print and ship the game - because all the work behind it is done! Artwork, components, application… All we need is to know how many boxes we have to prepare.
Also, as you can see in the picture above, Publish or Perish is not our first game.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to ask. You can leave us a public comment, send us a private message here on Kickstarter, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.orgLearn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (33 days)