A unique micro-budget film, following Finn as he navigates through one wild summer. Help young filmmakers create a true passion project Read more
This project was successfully funded on June 16, 2013.
About this project
Finn & the Sea of Noise is a feature length film project featuring the collaboration between writer/director/editor Ryan Ohm, director of photography Jackson James, producer Scotty Smith, production designer Francis Miranda, and many more talented young filmmakers!
This is a unique coming of age story - based off real experiences, strange characters, and odd, yet gnarly situations, the film explores the theme of moving forward from youth through the wild moments and raw emotions that come with it.
The tale follows Finn, navigating through one heavy summer, portraying an honest and raw look into a lost generation.
Blending elements from micro-budget cinema, found footage filmmaking, mumblecore, and DIY or Do it Yourself mindsets, we are setting out to make a very unique film. Small segments of the film will be shot using the Hi-8 tape based camera that shot the video above!
Get involved with this project, help us make it happen. Become a part of something big, as we set out as young filmmakers and artists on this passion project!
You can be confident in giving your support:
We've all worked on numerous film projects before, most of us on a different film shoots nearly every weekend - filmmaking is everything to us.
- Ryan has had films screen all over the globe, worked with up and coming artist both locally and internationally, and has received recognition through film festivals and a Vimeo Staff Pick. He also works at a production company currently and not only writes and directs, but enjoys editing/shooting/and color correction as well!
- Scotty's main goal while producing, is getting the job done. Whether it's a film about a drug addicted imaginary friend or a bully at a retirement home, the key is getting it done, and getting it done right. He can also hold his breath for a very long time.
- Jackson's interest in filmmaking began at an early age, growing up around film sets and festivals; playing with cameras being one of his major pastimes as a child (and still today!) Of the seven years he has been making and working on films, he has spent the past three working with Ryan extensively, with each production they collaborate on showing not only technical improvement but a step towards perfecting a creative process collaboratively.
- Francis has Production Designed shorts like Sarah's Nest, 16, and Primal. She has also Set Decorated for various shorts, music videos, and the feature film Blame, shot this past Spring. This will be her first feature film as a designer and she eagerly awaits it. Francis has always believed in the power of film and it's ability to connect viewers into emotional fancies.
Our cast is made up of some of Chicago's most talented actors. They all bring the highest level of dedication to the table, and not to mention they are fun and great people to be working closely with.
We need your support to help finance the following - essentially making this film happen!
- -Food/Craft services to keep the cast and crew energized and happy - feeding a small group of hungry and hardworking people for a long week won't be cheap!
- -Transportation to get us from one location to the next and to get cast and crew to and from set each day
- -Gear rentals! We'll be using mainly our own equipment following our DIY mindset, however we'll want to rent camera lenses and support gear to allow us to shoot in low lighting conditions and on the go
- -Editing! After the film is shot we'll have to go through sound mixing, color correction and more
- -DVD / Distribution / Film Festivals - the good stuff that allows us to get the film to as wide of an audience as possible!
It's definitely going to be a wild ride as we dive into this production, but with our stellar cast & crew, we're confident we can collaboratively create pure movie magic.
JOIN US and give us your support for this unique micro-budget feature, allowing us to take a big step forward in our creative dreams...
Questions / Comments / Want to talk to us directly before or after donating?
Email Ryan, the writer and director, at firstname.lastname@example.org
I'll be happy to chat with you about anything!
Also check out one of Jackson and Ryan's more recent collaborative efforts... "The Night the Sky Fell in New Haven"
Risks and challenges
Shooting this project on such a low budget for a feature will push us to shoot some of the film "run & gun" style. The beauty of smaller production crews and DIY or guerilla perspectives allows more mobility, and the option to shoot in spaces normally large crews and equipment could not. To create something new and powerful, boundaries must be pushed, jumping over the fence rather than peeking through.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Pledge $5 or more
After twenty $5.00 donations, we'll post a behind the scenes video of our crew in the wild stage known to some as.... "pre-production...." Gnarly!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $10 or more
After fifteen $10.00 donations have been received we'll release a behind the scenes location scout video of us uncovering some really rad, and secret, set locations! Help unlock it!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $15 or more
You've just earned yourself a credit in the film & on IMDB for helping us make this possible!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or more
Receive a DVD of the finished film!Estimated delivery:Only ships to: United States
Pledge $35 or more
5 backers Limited (35 left of 40)
Receive a disposable camera picture taken on set by one of our very own crew or cast members! Each will be unique and come with a handwritten letter / story of when it was taken!Estimated delivery:Only ships to: United States
Pledge $50 or more
Receive a "Finn & the Sea of Noise" Poster and a DVD copy of the finished film!Estimated delivery:Only ships to: United States
Pledge $100 or more
13 backers Limited (12 left of 25)
You've got a unique on-set photo, a DVD copy, and the limited edition poster coming your way! Aye CarumbaEstimated delivery:Only ships to: United States
Pledge $250 or more
A special section in the credits just for you (under HUGE THANKS TO: Your Name / Business here) along with DVD, original artwork poster, and a unique set photo!Estimated delivery:Only ships to: United States
Pledge $750 or more
0 backers Limited (5 left of 5)
"Associate Producer" credit will be given to you, official on IMDB and on the film's credits / etc. Holy Cow!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $2,000 or more
1 backer Limited (1 left of 2)
"Executive Producer" credit will be given to you, official on IMDB and the film's credits / etc. Sweet!Estimated delivery:
- (25 days)