Murder on the 10:16 is an all new murder mystery style immersive experience produced by Rogue Events. Rogue Events has been producing immersive experiences for two years and we’re really excited about this new feature event. In a murder mystery like no other, we will put you at the heart of the story as you become a suspect on the murder-bound 10:16 steam train. All of the decisions and outcomes are influenced by you and your friends. Catching the real killer is one thing, convincing the detective to arrest an ‘innocent’ adversary is a different kettle of fish entirely! This experience is all about social deduction and influencing others as you take part in your own self-determined plotline; all set in the golden age of mystery fiction, the 1930s. Oh! Did we mention it is all aboard a steam train at the scenic Severn Valley Railway!?
· Date: Monday 8th of April
· Time: 12:30pm start (first train) – Train departs 14:00
· Location: Severn Valley Railway (read more about our location below)
Standard Fare: £50, includes:
- The full live-action experience
- Bespoke character
- A seat in a heritage thematic carriage
- 2 stops at Severn Valley’s stunning stations and platforms
First Class Fare: £75 includes:
- A seat in a first-class cabin
- A bespoke upper-class character
- The full live-action experience
- 2 stops at Severn Valley’s stunning stations and platforms
① 12:30pm Train 1 - In order to put on the event we must reach our funding goal first!
② 12:30pm Train 2 | £2,200 - We’ll add another game to the 12:30pm start. By adding further (separate) carriages we can open up a new game to another 40 participants! (Games require a minimum of 15 people)
③ 8:30am Train 1 | £4,000 – We’ll open up a new time slot for a further 40 participants to take part. (Games require a minimum of 15 people)
④ 8:30am Train 2 | £6,000 – We’ll open up additional carriages on the early train for another 40 passengers! (Games require a minimum of 15 people)
"I’ve seen murder mysteries before, what makes you guys so different? " Glad you asked, fictional sceptic!
1. Bespoke Character
Firstly, we’ll send you your ticket as well as a questionnaire asking for a few practical details and your preferences for a character. Our writing team then gets to work building a character specifically for you around your preferences.
2. Real Mobile Steam Train & Vintage Carriages
That’s right! We’ll immerse you in the 1930s using the extremely thematic scenery and backdrop of Severn Valley Railway, carefully chosen because of its post-Victorian style. Heck! Even the lobby is 1930s inspired! All that combined with the clickity clack of the rails, the steam engine chugging away and the high-pitched whistle of the train will convince you that you’ve stepped back in time.
3. Active vs Passive Immersive Experience
There are no actors! (or very few) A murder mystery dinner is a good example of a passive experience, where actors play out scenes around you and by the end of the evening you have to the guess the killer. Well, our motto isn’t ‘Be The Story’ for nothing! In our active experience, you will become the characters that are central to the plot and story and how you act will determine the outcome. It’ll be up to you to decide whether you want to catch the killer or pin the murder on someone that would be, shall we say, advantageous… for your social position. Every character has a motive to the murder!
Not sold yet? Perhaps take a look at our cinematic trailer below:
A ticket to the full experience
The experience is predicted to take just under 4 hours excluding the workshops and briefs. With a ticket you’ll be able to partake in the full event. The experience begins with 1hr30mins of the afore mentioned introductions and time to get into character.
Welcome briefings and workshops
Nervous about playing a character? Don’t worry, we’ll get you warmed up and ready with everything you need to know before the train departs.
A journey on a vintage steam train
The well-maintained train and carriages really are spectacular and we took our time location-scouting to find the right venue. The whole experience takes place on one of these steam trains as it travels through the West Midland countryside.
2 stops at Severn Valley’s scenic stations
Not only are the trains thematic, the stations are too! That’s why we’ll be stopping off to enjoy the views, sights and sounds as well as dropping in a little extra dramatics at each stop.
We will send you a character questionnaire to determine your preferences for a character and our writers will build a character unique to you. Nothing is guaranteed but our writers stick to these preferences as closely as they can.
Your costume is the only thing NOT included
You will have to provide your own costume based around your character. For some of our guests this is part of the fun. However, if you’re struggling for ideas or want to limit the cost, we’ve included a list of costume hire shops here that we’ve been in contact with who would be happy to supply your costume for the event (please note: many costume houses require a large safety deposit). However, do not feel you have to pay for costumes, you can often achieve a satisfactory aesthetic with what you already have in your closet.
This is a generic schedule for the event, for the different start times please see the relevant section above. 00hr00min is 0 hour! The start time stated with the tickets and the remaining times in the schedule is the time added onto that start time.
The Severn Valley Railway is a full-size standard-gauge railway line, running regular, mainly steam-hauled, passenger trains between Kidderminster in Worcestershire and Bridgnorth in Shropshire, a distance of approximately sixteen miles.
A remarkable feature of the Railway is that it is very largely run by unpaid volunteers, with a paid staff of around 70 people responsible for administration and commercial activities, plus regular track and rolling stock maintenance.
The experience will start at Kidderminster Station where there are parking facilities (£4 for the full day, cash only). It is also adjacent to Kidderminster mainline railway if you’re travelling by rail. For more on our location you can download our information packet here.
Founded in December 2016, Rogue Events is a start-up events production company that specialises in immersive and interactive experiences. Picture a universe you grew up with, perhaps it’s a comic book world full of bad-ass super heroes, a TV series set in an era you love or a fantasy cinematic universe that wows with its creativity. Wouldn't it be awesome if you could dive into those pages or through the screen and experience it in real life? Here at Rogue Events, we're in the business of doing just that.
We’re the creators of Bothwell School of Witchcraft (www.bothwellschoolofwitchcraft.com), an immersive wizarding school adventure that we’ve now been running for two years. We are also the producers of Aces and Operatives in the U.K. (www.thegametheatre.uk/aces-and-operatives), and we’re hoping to create many more stories for our followers to jump into. If you want to read more about our journey and our experiences you can check out our website and blog here (www.rogueeventsltd.com/about).
We're a young start-up company and we're only scratching the surface of what we can achieve as a business. We believe immersive experiences and events have a big part to play in the future. As technology becomes more advanced people are looking for "unplugged" experiences to dive into. All you need to do is look at the sheer number of themed pop-ups in cities, the tonnes of escape rooms world-wide or the success of events like The Secret Cinema to see the varied and evermore spectacular adventures people are seeking out.
Below is a list of the key items of the Terms and Conditions for Murder on the 10:16 that you should be aware of. For a full list please see here.
- You are entitled to a full refund within 14 days of purchase of a ticket. After this period has expired, we will deduct some administration costs from the total value of your ticket. The administration cost is 15% to cover the costs of booking you onto activities, payment processing fees and creating your character.
- You must cancel your ticket a minimum of 48hrs before the event. After which you will not be able to claim a refund.
- If you are late or removed from the event for whatever reason, we cannot process a refund.
- If a game does not reach the minimum of 15 participants we will unfortunately have to cancel that run and you will be issued with a full refund.
T's and C's
For a full list of our Terms and Conditions please visit our website here.
- We employ a strict conduct policy (details of which you can find here). Failure to adhere to these guidelines will result in ejection from the experience. We reserve the right to eject someone at any time, for any reason.
- Included in the conduct policy is a costume policy; our guests have signed up to an immersive experience where they are expecting to dive into a 1930 detective novel. It would be disrespectful to the others on the experience to turn up in, for example, jeans and a t-shirt. We reserve the right to refuse entry, without refund, to those who have failed to adhere to the dress-code.
- We won't change your time slot but we may wish to transfer you between trains if numbers are vastly uneven. This will improve everybody's experience all-round. We will, of course, ask your permission to do so first.
- We reserve the right to edit the train times before they're released. If we change any details of the event we will let you know with as much notice as possible.
Risks and challenges
This project has been fully costed and budgeted. The biggest risk of this event is that the venue (Severn Valley Railway) or Rogue Events has to cancel for unforeseen circumstances. We've mitigated this as much as possible by being in regular communication with the venue, our time slot is reserved and we foresee no trouble in running this event.
There is further risk of not having enough participants to run the event. This, however, is mitigated by the funding target and by stating the minimum numbers required for each game. If necessary, we will not move peoples time slots, but we may move them between games to even them out. If we need to do this, we will ask permission from our guests first.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (14 days)