THANK YOU, Backers, for your support. We crossed the $30,000 goal on Christmas Day! Good Timing!
Now that :
- I can order my dinnerware blanks
- I can set up my silk screen process for the images
I have two new stretch goals:
Stretch Goal 1: additional $10,000 =$40,000 total
One year rent money for warehouse
- can't fit the dishes in the garage!
- can do the firings away from the house
- I will be able to put my car in my garage
Stretch Goal 2: additional $10,000 for $50,000 total
Olympic Kiln plus electric needed to get it working plus "kiln furniture"
- now that I have a warehouse, I have a place fo a professional kiln
- fires three times the amount of my current kiln
- front stacking, rather than having to lean over and stack shelves
I really appreciate all your help. Please share this with your friends. Tell them that you backed my project, and ask them to take a look at it.
NEW $250 REWARD:
Here is how the story begins:
This dinnerware began as a request. In the winter of 2012, Tom Hazel, the manager of the Abaco Inn, had a firm vision of me creating a large set of dinnerware with my fish on them that could be auctioned off to raise money for the Hope Town Volunteer Fire and Rescue Department in the Bahamas. This was the winter of 2012. I thought he had completely lost his mind. I was a painter, not a potter!
The idea soon latched onto my brain and would not let it go. A year later, in February of 2013, after hours of research and lots of money, I delivered 48 pieces of dinnerware to Tom on the morning of the auction.
Their reception was incredible, Tom raised a ton of money, and my husband started thinking that dinnerware might not be that bad an idea after all.
I AM READY TO GIVE BIRTH TO MY CREATIONS
Why I need your help is below… but why don't you take a break from reading for a minute and take a look at the rewards…
$1 REWARD: Get me a gift store, I'll get you a mug
$2 REWARD: Find me an awesome webmaster and you'll get a platter.
$40 REWARD pick one Mini Giclee (there are 100 plus to choose from):
A new backer unknown to me before KS:
We had Christmas dinner on your wonderful set...they are exceptional.
$40,000 Stretch goal
$50,000 Stretch Goal
Why I need your help:
- I do not need Kickstarter to fund 100% of my project. So far, I have invested over $20,000 on developing the prototype: equipment, porcelain blanks, printing, digital design, etc. I have a budget for dinnerware expenses in 2014 which I have in my savings account to use if I can fund this project through Kickstarter. So, as you can see, I am not putting all of the financial responsibility on YOU.
- I currently use branded restaurant dishes for my blanks. I've picked out my favorite shapes, sizes and weights, but unless I buy direct from a factory I will have to live with another brand on the back next to my name. That's cool, I like Ten Strawberry Street, but it would be so much cooler if it was just me.
- I currently use digital technology to put my images on the dinnerware. This works OK, it looks OK, but oh oh oh it would be such a higher quality dish if I could afford to silkscreen the images rather than digitally print them. Silkscreening involves four color processing… do you remember that?
- IN ADDITION, using the silkscreening process would be an incredibly SAFER process for my artist helpers since our current technique involves spraying aerosol, vaporized GLASS.
- Now that I will have about 12,000 dishes heading my way, I need warehouse space to put them, as well as the finished pieces when they come out of the kiln.
- I want to add an industrial kiln to make firing easier on the back as well as handle the higher volume of firing.
- I need your help with referrals of great coastal boutiques that will carry my dishes.
Here's something from Bekki R., owner of The Wayward Garden in Stone...... NJ:
"It's sometimes hard to find new and interesting products for my little eclectic store. When I found out Kim Rody was doing dinner ware, I was so excited. I am long time fan of Kim, to me this was the next natural step for her. "
Big Thank You's to my TEAM!!!
Video Created by NoLimit3DProduction LLC
They are working hard to be recognized as the leader in GoPro photography and video, 3D technology (Stereoscopic 3D, Augmented Reality and Lenticular 3D) and high impact social media driven videos on the Treasure Coast and beyond.
For video questions please write to firstname.lastname@example.org
Mark Kopp, my rock
Heidi and Shawn Fay, benefactors, collectors and friends
Samantha Nagel, right hand man. er, woman.
Charisee Warrington, left hand woman.
Anna Leehey, social butterfly
Ashley Sands, editor in chief
Danielle Sabatini, designer extraordinaire
Schooner (She's laying on the ground in the video, basking in her role.)
Risks and challenges
Your funding will get me the quality components I need to order at the quantity I need them to attain adequate economies of scale.
HOWEVER, I have been working on a plan to address the following very important issues:
I discovered if one were to buy porcelain china directly from the factory, you have to order about 2000 of each piece. That's a lot of dishes! And, even though you get a great price break, once you multiply it by the thousands of pieces you have to order it is a pretty big number.
The problem is that the startup costs for silkscreening these images are outrageous, and instead of printing one or two at a time, I would have to print in volume. The GOOD part is the OVERALL cost would drop in the long run, but that would mean a lot of Ramen noodles for dinner for a number of years if I was on my own. Not that I don't like Ramen noodles.
The ship that the container is on could sink. That would push off the timing of getting your reward.
And really, there are not a lot more road blocks. I have saved money I have made from selling paintings to get the project this far, and to do all of the OTHER things one must do to make cool dinnerware and share it with the world: packaging, distribution, logistics, my new kiln. And, I have a lot of help, especially my wonderful husband who (most of the time) supports my crazy ideas, along with my two artists: Sam and Charisee.
WHAT HAPPENS TO YOUR MONEY IF WE DON'T HIT THE TARGET
Kickstarter is all or nothing so if we don't hit $30,000 by the 9th of January, your card won't be charged and we won't receive any money pledged. But, that ain't gonna happen.
- (35 days)