What is Rocks & Gravel Coffee?
Rocks & Gravel Coffee is a local, organic Full City Roast, shipped direct from our roaster, in recyclable, collectible coffee tins. It tastes great and gives back!
"It takes rocks and gravel, baby... to make a solid road" – Bob Dylan
What is our plan?
Our vision at R&G is to build our membership of coffee drinkers, by selling limited edition coffee tins and having refill coffee sent fresh and direct from the roaster to your door. Our goal of $20,000 on Kickstarter will give us the resources to:
- Print first batch labels, tins, stickers, T-shirts and Mugs
- Roast the first batch of delicious coffee and send it out to you
- Pay our talented artist, web designer and videographer
- Custom build a Rocks & Gravel Coffee cart for pour over (Chemex) coffee
- Set up our office and put systems in place for customer service
What is our product?
We like to keep it simple. We have one roast to start with. We have chosen a Full City Roast, which is in between a medium and dark roast, perfect when prepared as a pour over (Chemex) or as a cold brew. Our coffee is also delicious as espresso or any way you like it.
There are two ways to order it:
- Limited edition collectible tins (12 OZ) for $18.99
- Discount refills (10 OZ) for just $11.99
Why is our coffee so delicious?
Most coffees today are roasted too long and become burnt and bitter. Our beans are wet washed and sun dried to minimize toxins, offering coffee drinkers a clean caffeine high with no jittery feelings.
Our roaster doesn't burn the bean, which is what happens with a French roast or higher. Instead, our Full City Roast has the right balance of bite and aroma, bold and chocolatey with a smooth and smoky flavor. Great for pour over single cup or in the Chemex for multiple cup brews.
Here's some nerdy facts about our bean:
- Cooperative: La Florida Cooperativa
- Certifications: Fair Trade, Smithsonian Bird Friendly
- Region: The Chanchamayo province in the Junin region of Central Peru
- Altitude: 1,200 – 1,400 meters
- Variety: Bourbon, Catimor, Typica, Caturra, and Pache
- Harvest: March – August
How does our coffee give back?
Our coffee give back in four main ways:
- Planet friendly – our packaging is 100% recyclable and reusable
- Community & animal friendly – our coffee beans are fair trade, USDA certified organic, 'bird friendly' and shade grown
- Customer friendly – Rocks & Gravel Members get $1 off their next coffee tin order when they refer a friend
- Artist friendly – our artist, Stef Mitchell, receives a royalty for every tin sold
What do you get if you make a pledge today?
Any pledge amount counts. Find the one that best suits you. Get started with a Limited Edition Pledge Tin or join the R&G Crew with a quarterly or yearly membership!
We hope that you will get involved and become part of the R&G crew, by making a pledge to get a whole year's supply of fresh coffee for just $250. Annual membership comes complete with three different limited edition tins and nine additional monthly refills. On top of that we will gift you a Rocks & Gravel T-shirt, limited edition Mug and Pour Over Cup. We think it is a killer deal!
What are our most popular kinds of pledges?
- 'Pledge' Edition R&G Coffee Tin (12 OZ) - $25 - limited edition signed collectible tin of R&G coffee (shipping incl.)
- 3 month membership - $100 - 1 tin + 2 months of refills (comes with a free Pour Over Cup) (shipping incl.)
- 1 year membership - $350 - 3 tins + 9 months of refills (plus a free R&G T-shirt, Mug, & Pour Over Cup) (shipping incl.)
What are some special pledge rewards?
- If you like 'dream catchers' our chief of communications Sophie Ward will hand make you one for just $75. It will come with your first specialty R&G coffee tin.
- If you are a Kin fan, you can pledge $10 and receive a limited edition cover EP by Isaac and Thorald Koren of The Kin with an R&G collectible sticker. If you are even more of a Kin fan, you can pledge $1500, receive a yearly R&G membership, and enjoy your very own 'Musical Robbery' by The Kin in NYC.
- If you are a big fan of our artist, Stef Mitchell, you can pledge $750 to receive your own original full size Stef Mitchell original artwork. This last pledge comes with a full yearly R&G membership.
- For the big spenders, we have the option of your own private 'Salon Dinner Party' event hosted by our team for a pledge of $2500 or higher.
Why do we want to make a coffee cart?
We intend to build our own wooden coffee cart for pour over coffee, so we can bring R&G coffee to the streets! This will fit two people, one to measure, grind and prepare the individual pour over cups of delicious coffee, and one person to handle the customers.
The cart will tweet its location @rocksandgravel and will also travel to music festivals, cycling races, local markets and busy street corners. We think it is a unique cart in that it is focused on pour over coffee and offers a freshly brewed cup of coffee to every customer.
What is our story?
Rocks & Gravel Coffee began last year while I was cycling along the Delaware river with my brother and partner in crime, Thorald Koren.
On our ride we stumbled across a local organic coffee roaster. After meeting the two brothers who run the roaster, we began discussing the possibility of bringing to life a coffee that tastes great and also gives back.
In collaboration with artist Stef Mitchell, we designed a tin that is both collectible, reusable and gives back both locally and globally.
Will you help us build a solid road?
None of this can happen without you. Our goal is to raise $20,000 to produce the first batch of coffee and tins, pay our wonderful artist, build the website, and send our product to your door. Check out our pledges below to join the Rocks & Gravel crew.
Risks and challenges
There are many challenges that face new businesses:
HOW RELIABLE IS THE SUPPLY?
We have made sure that we have a solid relationship with our local roaster so that we can guarantee delivery of fresh coffee to our drinkers. Our importer has solid working relationships and we look to pass on the benefits to you.
HOW DO WE KNOW IT TASTES GREAT, ALWAYS?
We have tested our roast on a large group of friends and family and coffee connoisseurs and the response has been very positive, so we are confident in how the coffee tastes, especially when prepared as a 'pour over' or as a 'cold brew'. Our Full City Roast is best and most pure when prepared in a 'pour over' set, so that is why we include a pour over set in both the 3 month and yearly membership pledges.
HOW IS YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE?
Our team, the Rocks & Gravel Crew, are fully engaged to make customer service both personal and enjoyable. Coffee is about play and good work relies on it.
- (45 days)