WHAT IS A "SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITY"? A localized group of people choosing to live in a way that provides for the universal fundamental needs of all beings living today, without compromising the ability of future generations of living beings to meet their own needs.
Click here to watch 15 More Within Reach Movie Trailers
LET’S KICKSTART A NEW REALITY!
Within Reach and Kickstarter are both about the power of people to do extraordinary things to support one another on each of our journeys.
People like you are in this film (we met 20,000 of you on our journey!).
People like you fund it, one pledge at a time.
It is proof of our collective potential to change the world.
The sense of community that comes along with the crowdfunding experience directly relates to the message of Within Reach Movie...together we can create so much more!
3 STEPS TO A SUCCESSFUL KICKSTART:
STEP 1: Pledge $1 (or more) today...see rewards over there --->
STEP 2: Personally invite 10 friends on facebook or email to do the same.
STEP 3: Finally, pass this link on to your social network. This is a really important step, as we need 500,000 people to receive this invitation (statistically, 5% of people who receive an invitation like this will take action, so that means 25,000 people pledging $1 or more will meet or exceed our goal by Christmas morning!)
WHAT MESSAGE WILL YOU BE HELPING TO SPREAD?
This film at its core is an epic quest. It's a story of personal and planetary transformation. It's an adventure, and there’s a little bit of love story in the mix too :) It’s your story, and many of you are in it!
Within Reach Movie documents a pedal-powered search for a place to call home in a sustainable community. Mandy and Ryan traded in their house and cars for a tent and bicycles to "bike-pack" 6,500 around the USA to visit 100 sustainable communities, looking around as they looked within. This journey and film has answers the questions many of us are wondering: "Is it possible for all of us to live in a sustainable way?”, “what would the world look like if each of us simply did what we loved?” After circling the country, and talking with over 20,000 people they have found that not only is it possible but this is already underway.
Beyond all this, the film is an educational and inspirational documentary about the joys and challenges of working together in our local communities to create a more regenerative way to live. This film will spread the positive message that the world is already rapidly changing for the better, and that we all can help make a difference starting right where we’re at. This story also also serves as real life evidence that you can manifest what you need, sometimes seemingly miraculously, through maintaining a positive attitude.
WHY HELP SPREAD IT?
- Let’s Bring Some Hope and Love to the Big Screen! With so many documentaries out there showing what’s gone wrong with the world, with our society, children, religion and more, it is our hope to offer up a dose of inspiration and a positive, solutions-oriented message for all ages, all places on the political and religious spectrum, it’s a film for everyone.
- Random Acts of Kindness Just Feel Good :) We love kickstarter and find that it is a beautiful way to give random gifts to people just because we resonate with what they’re doing. Imagine a new economy where thousands of us could each give one another just a small amount (like the $1 or $5 we’re asking here), and we thereby began to witness the birthing of new, creative ideas much more easily and sustainably than toiling over bank loan applications and always operating out of debt.
- Your Donations are Tax-deductible! Within Reach Movie is fiscally sponsored by the Fellowship for Intentional Communities, a 501(c)3 non-profit. This organization is greatly aligned with the message of this movie which is to promote intentional community. This would be a great way for you to get your end of the year donations in for tax deductions. (Notice our deadline is December 25...just in time for this to happen!)
- You can Get, or Gift, a Reward. We’re offering a variety of incentives (see over there --->) or email us if you have other needs or ideas for this project. Also, if you would like to donate to the film but give your reward to someone as a gift or in honorarium (say, for the holidays?!), go through all the normal process of making a pledge in your name. For billing purposes, this action must be in your name. After our deadline, we will send a message to you on Kickstarter. (It will be forwarded to the email address you provided). We will request things like your address from you at that time, and simply reply with all the giftee’s information instead of your own. We will make sure they are the person who receives the reward.
HOW CAN I TRUST THAT MY PLEDGE WILL GO TO GOOD USE?
This project has “street cred”! :) And...this is the final stretch! Since 2008 when we traded in our house and cars for a tent and bicycles, we’ve managed to...
- bike-pack 6,500 miles around the USA.
- visit and film 100 sustainable communities of all types (cohousing, ecovillages, co-ops, people living more regenerative lives right where they’re at, Transition Towns, communes and more).
- invest our life savings in the equipment (bikes, cameras, food, etc.).
- grow our mailing list to over 7,000 wonderful supporters, many of whom generously supported us to finish the journey by donating various gifts-in-kind and cash.
- engage and work with a FANTASTIC editing team - Doctrine Creative - to co-produce the feature film
- appear in countless news stories all around the US
- approached by Dick Clark Productions for a potential TV show about the journey which they pitched to networks (on the shelf currently due to the economy being too risky for our show).
CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE DICK CLARK PRODUCTIONS WITHIN REACH SIZZLE REEL PITCHED TO NETWORKS
- begin writing books about the sustainable communities movement, as well as educational & screening kit materials to go along with the film.
- log about 1,000 hours of footage and put together this kickstarter video for you to watch and enjoy a taste of what’s to come!
We are well on our way to getting this message out and need this final kickstart to make it happen. So you can trust that your pledge WILL be used for the purpose of finishing this project, and soon!
- How in the world can we make a movie for so little money?! First off, the total budget is $116,720 (click here for the full breakdown), so in addition to kickstarter, we’re also actively pursuing a headline sponsor and Executive Producer to join the team. Also, throughout the three years we’ve been devoted to this project, we are choosing to live VERY simply (lived in a teepee this summer for example), we’re continuing to ride bicycles as our main transportation, and everyone who is working with us has volunteered their time and money thus far. It’s simply amazing that they are willing to do this and therefore, a movie this powerful will be made on a drastically smaller budget than Hollywood movies.
- What happens if the $25,000 isn’t pledged by Christmas Day? Unfortunately nothing. If our goal isn’t met before the deadline, no money changes hands and the movie will take longer to get made. We want to avoid this scenario at all costs! The world needs a kickstart with this message of positively creating a new world now!
- Can we exceed the goal? YES! What an amazing problem that would be :) Kickstarter will allow as much money as is given before the deadline. So, perhaps we can even raise the full $116,720?! And that would mean a chance to gift the film to colleges and public libraries around the world, create a more dynamic website for you to use, and more. The possibilities are endless.
- Once I pledge, can I increase it later? YES! Once you donate to our campaign, you may want to change your reward to a different one, or increase your pledge amount. To do so, go to Kickstarter and sign in. If you go to our campaign page, the green “Back This Project” button has been replaced with a blue “Manage Your Donation” button. Click it and you can enter a new amount, or choose a new incentive.
- When will I get to see Within Reach? We anticipate having a rough draft done in the next few months, and a final DVD created with special features by Earth Day - April 22, 2011. We will submit to various film festivals throughout this time period (maybe one in your town?!), followed by a chance to screen it in your own home or community, and then DVD’s produced and distributed.
- When will I receive my Reward? All rewards will only happen if our goal is met. If we do meet our goal, we will start to fulfill the rewards right away. Kickstarter will only charge your bank account (14 days after the end of the campaign) if we reach our goal of $25,000 by Christmas Day. If we don't reach our goal, you are welcome to donate on our website if you feel moved.
- How do I contact you? We are very available via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, leave us a message at 505.718.4818, or friend us and write on our facebook fan page.
SOME HIGHLIGHTS & THINGS THAT MAY APPEAR IN THE FILM:
Accolades & Interviews with:
Bruce Collie, former 49er (linebacker for Joe Montana), eco-restaurant owner, Wimberly, TX
Bruce says on film:
"Just really enjoy Ryan and Mandy showing up on their machine I'm not going to try to say what it is, but I do know that we're all for what their trying to accomplish and communicate as far as renewable resources and ways to live...just really encourage people to listen to the message these guys have about tryin' to live a community."
Bill McKibben, 350.org founder, climate change author, Middlebury, VT
Bill emailed to a mutual contact:
“Thought you might want to invite these guys to dinner too, and tell them I'll be there around 6 if they want to film me.--Bill”
In response to an email we sent him that we will be hosting a 10/10/10 event at Hummingbird Community where we now live
“This makes my day!--Bill”
Rob Hopkins, founder of the Transition Town Movement, author: “The Transition Handbook”, Totnes, England
Rob emailed to us:
“I watched the [short]film of yours...what a wonderful thing you are doing! As you know, I don't fly, and I'm sure flying isn't a part of your low carbon trip round US, but if it would be useful to your film to do some kind of Skype interview or something, I'd be only too happy to help. Thanks for the inclusion of the Transition Handbook, lovely to see it there!--Rob”
Jonathan Eskenas, VP Development, Dick Clark Productions, Los Angeles, CA
Jonathan emailed us:
“I recently came across the website for your project, and was intrigued by what you are doing. I have been researching Intentional Communities, and believe that focusing on a particular community could serve as the basis for an eye-opening and ultimately inspirational program. I think the power of this story is that ‘odd’ behavior is often what ‘normal’ people dream of doing. The ‘oddballs’ are the brave few who actually do it.”
Rep. Peter Welch, US Congressman, VT
On film, Ryan says as he shakes Peter’s hands:
"Thank you...keep up the good work...and Peter says: No, Thank you! You guys keep up the good work!"
Stephen Gaskin, icon of the 60’s, founder of The Farm, TN
Stephen says on film:
"These are great hippies, they're going to help save you."
Laird Schaub, Executive Secretary, FIC,
Laird says on film:
“We've got a 25% increase in inquiries at FIC on our website at in the last year, which is a big jump, so we're in the middle of a surge right now in community interest and cohousing is a part of that surge. Cohousing stands out as an element because there's a lot of people especially from middle class america who hunger for a greater sense of connection who will consider cohousing not...or within reach is what I should say!”
Nick Miller NBC Evening News Anchorman - El Paso, TX (1 million viewers)
Nick emailed after his news story on us:
“Your adventure is giving me inspiration to break out of the corporate world before it completely consumes me. Keep peddling and, again, Namaste”
Melissa Seaman, Avalon Springs Community Co-founder, Middletown, CA
Melissa says on film:
“There’s so many incredible communities doing amazing things and hardly anybody has all the pieces yet. So it’s pretty awesome what you guys are doing to gather that information to see what are people doing that’s right, what are people doing that could be done better, you know what works and what doesn’t work. There’s no point in everybody making the same mistakes over and over and not talking to each other about ‘em.”
Brother Scott Beckwith, Author, Solstice Community Co-founder, Wimberly, TX
Brother Scott says on film:
“It’s just like people riding around doing interviews and stuff, you do it because you felt compelled to do it, you feel it’s the right thing to do you’re being a HUGE service to humanity and to the universe because anything you do has ripples that just go out. Don’t even concern yourself with the ripples, you concern yourself with the seed. Some people look at people who go traipse off into the woods or traipse off on bikes across the country or traipse off in a van, like “oh you’re running away from something”. No it’s like “I’m running to something else, I’m going towards something else.”
Additional interviews with:
- Richard Heinberg, peak oil expert, author, co-founder Post-Carbon Institute
- Nina Leopold, Aldo Leopold’s daughter, Ecologist
- Diana Leafe Christian, past editor of Communities Magazine, Author “Creating Community”, & “Finding Community”
- Bob Dixson, Mayor of Greensberg, KS
- Bob Walker, Sustainable Energy Community Organizer, VT
- Bill Stetson, Environmental statesman, friend of Obama
- Charris Ford, early biodiesel pioneer and activism mentor of Daryl Hannah
- John Shaeffer, Founder of Real Goods and Solar Living Institute, solar retail pioneer
- Mark Lakeman, Founder of City Repair
- Scott Kellog, Founder of Rhyzome Collective, Author of “Urban Sustainability Handbook”
- Domo Geshe Rinpoche, 9th, Female Tibetan Buddhist Lama, sustainable communitarian, author
- Albert Bates, Founder of the Ecovillage Training Center @ The Farm, TN, author
- Eustace Conway, primitive skills expert, communitarian, main character of Elizabeth Gilbert's book "The Last American Man"
CLICK HERE TO VIEW LIST OF ALL 100 COMMUNITIES BICYCLED TO
- LA Ecovillage, Los Angeles, CA
- Sonora Cohousing, Tucson, AZ
- Holy Scrap Hot Springs, Truth or Consequences, NM
- Rhizome Collective, Austin, TX
- Make It Right NOLA, New Orleans, LA
- The Farm, Summertown, TN
- Earthaven Ecovillage, Black Mountain, NC
- Twin Oaks, Loisa, VA
- Cobb Hill Cohousing, Hartland, VT
- Ecovillage at Ithaca, Ithaca, NY
- Joyful Path Buddhist Monestary, Blue Mounds, WI
- Dancing Rabbit Ecovillage, Rutledge, MO
- Possibility Alliance, La Plata, MO
- Greensberg, KS
- Hummingbird Community, Cleveland, NM
Landmarks Biked To:
- The Golden Gate Bridge, CA
- New Orleans Ninth Ward, LA
- The Natchez Trace, MS
- The Appalachians, NC
- The White House, DC
- Ground Zero, The World Trade Center, NYC
- Times Square, NYC
- Niagara Falls, NY
- Aldo Leopolds Shack, WI
- The Mississippi River, IA
- The Rockies, NM
- (38 days)