So here's me, earlier today, somewhere over the eastern United States, just after finishing a new short story—thanks to you:
And right after I took that photo, I spun my MacBook to the left, snapped another shot, and used it as raw material for this, the story's "cover":
Semi-ridiculous, I know, but I feel like everything has to have a cover to count as a media object these days. And, I'll admit it, I was taken with the romance of photoshopping at 30,000 feet.
So here's the story—and a few meta notes:
- I wrote the entire thing during the flight.
- TextMate/MacBook. Thank you, Virgin America in-seat power outlets.
- I spent every minute of the flight writing and editing, minus 20-30 minutes for the cover. As we were approaching New York I was silently wishing for a bonus loop around Boston; I had to rush to finish the end.
- It was a 7 a.m. flight. Was this a good thing or a bad thing re: writing? Currently undecided. It felt like a bad thing when my eyes were drooping shut during take-off.
- I came aboard with a few idea-scraps. The Smithsonian thing; the name Prandtl-Glauert; a few little descriptive details that I won't reproduce here because they're mini-spoilers. I didn't know how these scraps would fit together; they were like a pocket full of random Legos.
- In retrospect, I wish I would have paid the $12.99 for in-flight wifi and live-tweeted my word count. Next time.
Anyway: that was really fun! Thanks for making it happen, and thanks for reading along. Let me know what you think of the story, either here or over at robinsloan.com.
Now, back to work.
Next update: New York dispatch.
seconds to go
Pledge $1 or moreYou selected
ULTIMATE NINJA ALLY PACK. Get a PDF copy of the book. Join our movement to reinvent writing and publishing. (Ho hum!)
Pledge $3 or moreYou selected
29 backers All gone!
DIGITAL PACK. Get a PDF copy of the book and follow along with behind-the-scenes updates.
Pledge $11 or moreYou selected
PHYSICAL PACK. All of the above, plus get a physical copy of the book. (The more people who choose this level or higher, the better the book is for everybody!)
Pledge $19 or moreYou selected
SINCERITY PACK. All of the above, plus your book is signed, and it comes with a little surprise.
Pledge $29 or moreYou selected
PATRON PACK. All of the above, plus your name (or secret code-name) is listed in the acknowledgments.
Pledge $39 or moreYou selected
SUPER OCCULT VALUE PACK. All of the above, plus get three more copies of the book (for a total of four), so you can give one to a friend, donate one to the library, leave one in a coffee shop with a line of hexadecimal code scribbled across the title page...
Pledge $59 or moreYou selected
INTERNATIONAL PACK. New addition! All of the above, but designed for international backers who want to help offset the cost of the trans-oceanic catapult launch. Thanks to Euan Mclaren for the idea.
- Case Study: Robin Sloan Writes a Book
- Declaration and Validation
- The Evolution of the Project Video
- Where Are They Now? Andrew vs. The Collective
- July 30th: Kickstarter Everywhere
- Kickstarter at SXSW
- The Kickstarter Awards: Creator Picks (Cont)
- The Kickstarter Awards: Creator Picks
- The Kickstarter Awards: Best in Show
- Reward Season
- Big Weekend
- Great Moments in Project Videos
- Gold Coins
- Creator's Guide to Video
- (67 days)