If you missed us on Kickstarter, you can find us at: www.candyjar.com
What is Candy Jar?
If you’re anything like us, you love perusing a candy store, discovering new treats and filling a bag with your favorites. Despite our passion for candy, we don’t have access to this simple joy because we don’t live near a candy store and don’t have the time to seek one out.
That’s why we are creating Candy Jar. We believe that everyone should be able to indulge in a personalized jar of candy, regardless of where they live. With the help of the Kickstarter community, we want to bring the selection and excitement of a high-end candy store to the convenience of your home.
We Believe In
- Selection – We attended the “Sweets and Snack Expo” and have curated hundreds of candy options for our backers. Choose from nostalgic classics, big brand names, and small scale candy makers. At launch, we'll have nearly 700 different candies but our goal is to have thousands from all around the world.
- Personalization – Fill your jar with exactly the candy you want and nothing else. We hate paying for prepackaged candy and then having to pick around the flavors we don’t love.
- Discovery – While we all have our favorites, part of the joy of sweets is discovering something new. Our interface will make it fun and simple to find new discoveries to try.
- Gifts That Don’t Suck – Your friends and family are just as tired of receiving generic gifts as you are of giving them. An engraved glass jar filled with a personalized selection of candy is more exciting (and tastier) than flowers and socks.
- Convenience – We’ll mail your personalized candy jar anywhere in the U.S. for free.
- Sanitation – We won’t let kids stick their hands in the candy.
Sample of Candy Selection
How it Works
We decided to use crowdfunding to launch Candy Jar because we wanted to provide a significantly larger selection of premium candy. Specifically, Kickstarter will allow us to do 3 things that we think will benefit our customers:
1. Provide the initial capital to start with a much wider and higher-quality selection of candy.
2. Backers will get to help us choose the offering so that we stock people's favorite candy.
3. We will know the correct quantities of each type of candy to order so we won't sell out of the popular sweets.
Sweets Selection by Category
Alvin Ko is a recent 2014 Pitzer College graduate. He majored in Economics and has always been interested in development economics. He hopes to one-day get involved with helping low-income countries create sustainable infrastructure. His favorite candy is: Happy-Cola Haribo Gummies.
Ben is our resident candy fanatic and leads in Business Development. His passion is making people happy. He is an entrepreneur in many successful endeavors including running his own commercial real estate firm. When Ben is not playing racquetball with friends, he is at home with his family or throwing a ball with his dog Ziggy. His favorite Candy is Haribo Red Licorice Wheels.
Jeff is our Kickstarter ninja and overall marketing expert. As a Kickstarter project creator, he raised over $30,000 to create Speakeasy Briefs. Since then, he has helped countless project creators surpass their funding goals. He developed Launch Machine, a platform to help creators succeed with their crowdfunding campaigns.
When not attending a music festival or concert, you can likely find Jeff perpetually failing to break 80 on the golf course. His favorite candy is: Darrell Lea Strawberry Licorice.
Rob is our go-to tech guy, leading in web and analytics. He brings years of specialized experience from Fortune 100 companies (Disney and Amazon) and broad insights from two previous entrepreneurship endeavors.
As a “self-proclaimed” IPA connoisseur (there are a lot on the West Coast), you can usually find Rob enjoying a round with his buddies, taking in the best of Seattle’s incredible music scene or playing a spirited game of tennis, weather permitting of course. His favorite candy is: Australian-style strawberry licorice.
Ryan is our designer. He brings a balanced approach to practicality and high fidelity execution. Having worked with agencies, start-ups, and large corporations, Ryan always approaches solutions with the user in mind to create elegant and intuitive solutions. He spends his spare time tinkering, prototyping, building, and reaping the joys of home ownership. His favorite candy is: Pez
Risks and challenges
The primary obstacle with creating Candy Jar is purchasing enough inventory to provide sufficient selection for our backers. That is why we have conducted extensive due diligence in setting our funding goal. We have worked with industry experts to determine the actual costs of delivery, including unforeseen costs. If we reach our funding goal, we are confident that we will have enough capital to purchase hundreds of candy options as well as cover the other costs associated with fulfillment such as packing, shipping, Kickstarter fees, taxes, and credit card processing fees.
Our secondary obstacle will be delivering rewards on time. After discussing the project with candy wholesalers, fulfillment companies, and numerous Kickstarter project creators, we feel confident that we have set realistic predictions for reward delivery.
Even though we’ve spent nearly a year planning the project, we understand that unforeseen things happen. We’ve assembled an experienced 6-member team, including a successful Kickstarer alum, in order to mitigate risk and successfully execute our Candy Jar campaign.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (31 days)