About this project
A few years ago an overnight relay we were participating in banned the use of in-ear headphone/earbuds, allowing only devices with speakers that sit below your neck. Runners on our team came up with jerry-rigged solutions like speakers attached to shirts & jog bras. Combined with safety vests they added additional components, batteries, weight, wires and hassle.
This led to the development of Roadnoise. When we tested our first model we were hoping to find a solution to a specific race issue. What we discovered was an entirely new and pleasant way to enjoy our runs, day or night. With integrated speakers right below your ears you have the sound you want without eliminating the sounds around you.
Music, hydration, safety. It's Sound Running.
- Does not block surrounding sounds, allowing you to be more aware of potentially dangerous situations.
- Allows you to carry the small essentials you need, and a few extras.
- Comfortable, with nothing in your ears. No dangling cords to interfere with your movement or pull on your ears.
After putting hundreds of miles in our original vests, plus input from many accomplished runners, cyclists, triathletes, even horseback riders and gardeners, we've developed a new version.
The new vest has been completely redesigned for better fit, comfort, sound and multi-use. It's been tested fully loaded during runs up to marathon distance in both hot and cool weather and performed exceptionally.
Inside the front pocket is a small pocket that holds the rechargable volume control/amplifier. The volume can be controlled by simply pressing on the front of the vest pocket. It plugs into any earphone jack and boosts the performance of phones and smaller music devices that have limited output. The speakers have been positioned at a comfortable spot just behind the peak of your shoulders. They're comfortable while running and well positioned for cycling.
- Speakers are very lightweight. Weighing only 1 oz. each.
- Speaker pockets repel rain and the speakers are very weather tolerant.
- They are easily removed for washing.
The vest has a waterproof/breathable front on the pocket to keep dust and road spray away from your device. It's large enough to accommodate the ever-increasing size of smart phones. With a strap just above the rib cage and bungie adjustment on the back they accommodate a large range of sizes. The bungie allows for a snug, yet not constricting fit.
- Available in three sizes - S, M, L
- Total vest weight ranges from 7.5 oz. (Small) - 11 oz. (Large)
- There's a vertical pocket on each side of the main pocket giving you the option of carrying two 250 ml/8 oz. SoftFlask bottles, a dog leash or any other small accessory.
- Two smaller pockets to hold nutrition bars, gels or blinking lights.
On the Back
- There's a bungie adjustment cord that adjusts the vest to your body with just a slight pull. It also secures items you might carry in back.
- One large pocket that holds a light jacket, hat or if you're out for a long outing, a 1-liter hydration reservoir. It includes loops at the shoulders for a hydration tube.
- Two smaller pockets for extra nutrition, first aid or rear blinking lights.
- A removable drop-down "tube" pocket that hangs below the rear of the vest with a large reflective patch. It's great for cycling or anytime extra visibility is needed. It can hold lightweight items like gloves or an extra shirt.
Black and Hi Visibility Lime Green. Choices will be made at the conclusion of the campaign.
What people are saying
Pledge $5 or more. HUGE THANK YOU for helping make this possible! Any contribution is greatly appreciated and very helpful. We'll keep you updated on our progress throughout the campaign.
Sprinter. Pledge $49 or more. These are limited to the early bird offers that will get us started. Choose either a Black or hi vis Lime Green vest equipped with a SoftFlask bottle.
Second Wave. Pledge $59 or more. Choose either a Black or hi vis Lime Green vest equipped with a SoftFlask bottle.
The Cruiser. Pledge $69 or more. Choose either a Black or hi vis Lime Green vest equipped with a SoftFlask bottle.
Long Haul. Pledge $99 or more. Choose either a Black or hi vis Lime Green vest equipped with two SoftFlask bottles and a 1-liter hydration reservoir. Reservoir includes hose and magnetic hose clip.
Duathlon. Pledge $125 or more. Get two Black, two hi vis Lime Green, or one of each vest equipped with two SoftFlask bottles.
A Van Full. Pledge $360 or more. Get six vests and six Soft Flask bottles. Choose either Black, hi vis Lime Green or combination of both.
The Club. Pledge $600 or more. Get a dozen vests for your team or club, each equipped with a Soft Flask bottle. We'll personalize them for you with your club or team graphic. (Same graphic for all 12. Requires an additional two weeks for delivery)
While we do not expect this to change, it is possible that the estimated shipment date may shift. We'll keep you updated about any changes as we progress. Please read more in the "Risks and challenges" section.
We're proud to have Roadnoise fans all over the world and happy to ship our vests worldwide. Please note that you may be responsible for applicable duties, fees and taxes when ordering a shipment to your region.
Have a question?
We're here to help during and after the campaign so please don't hesitate to contact us.
Please share share this campaign and help get these new vests out on the road. Thank you from the Roadnoise crew!
Risks and challenges
We've put a lot of time into the development and our goal is to provide the highest quality product.
Since there are components that require tooling and electronic sourcing we're working with a couple of different factories. We'll be testing pre-production prototypes once the molds are created and there may be some adjustments needed. There is a possibility that this could create some delays, but quality it most important.
There is always the possibility of material delays as well as shipping delays. We'll do our best to keep one step ahead of any setbacks and we feel confident on delivering a great product.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (31 days)