About this project
Never Lose Your Wedding Band Again
If you've ever lost or damaged your wedding band - then you know that feeling in the pit of your stomach, the one you never want to have again . . . It turns out that nearly 4 in 10 men lose their wedding ring, while women ring-wearers frequently take theirs off for work, hobbies or sports.
RingSafe, Designed So You DON'T Lose Your Ring
RingSafe is a modern clasp that secures any ring quickly & elegantly.
We're newlyweds who designed RingSafe because 3 days post-honeymoon, John's wedding band disappeared at work. He works with his hands and has to take it off - but that didn't make the search any more fun.
The solutions you'll find today are either too feminine looking or comprise of super helpful advice like 'put the ring in the same place every time'. Why settle for advice that can still lose your ring when you can build a solution? We created a few designs on our trusty 3D printer and RingSafe was born.
Why use RingSafe?
If you remove your ring for work or sport, but don't want to lose or forget it, RingSafe can be worn on a chain or key-chain keeping your hands safe and your ring close but safe from wear & tear.
People who might want RingSafe include:
- Medical and dental professionals
- Construction professionals
- Aesthetic and spa professionals
- Culinary arts professionals
- Water sports enthusiasts: surfers, swimmers, etc
- Contact sports enthusiasts: basketball, football, etc
- Fit people of all sorts: weight lifting, basketball, tennis, etc
- Gardening and craft enthusiasts
- Expecting Mothers (guys it's a great gift when your lady's hands swell but she still wants to keep her sparkler nearby)
Why yes, thanks for asking. We've sold a few - and not just to friends and family! Here's what a some early adopters have to say about RingSafe ...
What does the public have to say?
"When you don’t want to lose the most important piece of jewelry you own–that ring–you don’t have many options ... RingSafe is the most elegant, simple solution on the market."- CoolMaterials
"...you’ll never find yourself wondering what happened to your ring again, and that’ll make your trips home a lot more pleasant." - inStash
"Ring Safe Will Help You Avoid Arguments With Your Wife" - UberReview
"The RingSafe is designed to watch your back ... and make sure you don’t lose or damage your wedding ring" - CoolPile
"RingSafe comes in handy for anyone wanting to store their important rings while rock climbing, swimming, working out at the gym or working with their hands." -Berkeley SG
Rewards - What's in it for you?
By backing RingSafe, you'll not only help countless couples avoid the awkward conversation or sadness of losing a ring, you'll also get your very own RingSafe to ensure you keep yours safe!
What comes in the reward levels?
RINGSAFE SOLO is a functional accessory made of stainless steel.
- RINGSAFE SOLO fits ring sizes 3 and up with widths up to 7mm. Future versions may accommodate wider rings, so back us and we can keep up product development.
- Chains and key rings are not included in the Solo so we can keep costs low and let you customize how you wear your RingSafe.
- Design update: (as of Jan 18) based on your feedback, it still fits a chain up to 4mm but can now accommodate a jumpring up to 6mm (see image below), as well as most standard key rings. If you have a unique chain with a jumpring larger than 6mm, you can easily remove and re-attach your jumpring using this technique.
GET-IT-FAST: These ringsafes are 3D printed in Nickel Steel. It's strong, rust free and shiny as the Stainless Steel, but you get it in a fraction of the time. We will place the order for these within 3 days of completing the Kickstarter and be ready to ship within 3 weeks. They require a good bit of hand polishing here in Texas, but this is a technique and company that we have used for 3 rounds of prototypes...we know it works!
RINGSAFE WIDE: We have a second version that supports rings up to 11mm wide, and the prototypes are in. If you have a WIDE ring than you need the RingSafe WIDE. 3D printed in Nickel Steel.
RINGSAFE YOURS: Several requests have come in for personalized RingSafes. Just a few more dollars and a couple of weeks more and we can have your RingSafe customized with your Initials, a Monogram, or a Logo - also makes a great groomsman gift!
NECKLACE ADD-ON: You can add this 3mm Rollo Chain Necklace to ANY of the reward levels for +$11 each.
RINGSAFE NECKLACE: Simply a RINGSAFE SOLO + NECKLACE ADD-ON
RINGSAFE SUPER-KIT: The RingSafe Super-Kit comes fully equipped with 2 RingSafes, a 3mm Rollo chain necklace (above), a 24" beaded chain (below) & standard keyring (not shown) so you can use it on arrival.
What about the higher pledge amounts?
- The 'GET-IT-FAST', Sterling Silver and Gold pledge rewards will all be custom 3d printed or lost-wax cast once the campaign is fully funded and can therefore be delivered faster. By indicating interest for these rewards you'll help us understand if there is a real market for luxury RingSafes (people keep telling us they want diamond flecked versions ... perhaps we'll go there if we are lucky enough to go after a stretch goal)!
Explanation of Funding
Our goal is to offer RingSafe to early adopters at very low cost and generate enough working capital to kick off a small production run of RingSafes to test market and grow from there.
Today's Beta RingSafe samples are 3D printed in Stain Free Nickel Steel which is lovely, but quite expensive. By working with suppliers who can tool, cast and reliably produce RingSafe we can sell them at a reasonable final price and ship them all over the world to make sure there are less couples bickering or bummed about a lost or damaged ring.
So where will the money go?
This chart outlines the categories where the funds are budgeted based on our current best estimates, with the bulk going towards production of units and securing production for growth.
We are also hoping to learn which of our future product variations are appealing to folks like you ... frilly, gold, blinged out? We'll share more concepts throughout the campaign!
RingSafe Product Timeline - Estimated
If RingSafe is fully funded by the end of our campaign on February 9th, we plan to ship in early June so backers could get RingSafes this summer. Check out this detailed production timeline for details on what happens when.
Love Letters to Other Kickstarter Projects
As we've gone on our Kickstarter journey for RingSafe, we've developed crushes on a number of other ideas that we think are worth sharing. So, here's a short curated list of projects you might like!
- Password Reset Key - Ever forgotten your computer password? With Jonty's clever, simple & tiny invention you can quickly reset any password on Windows PCs.
- Coin Rings - Nice spin on a ring and could look cool in your RingSafe:)
- ReelKlip - Never drop, lose or forget your mobile handset again.
Risks and challenges
Like any design project, there are always risks - here's what we think might trip us up - and how we plan to handle it (with your help of course)!
1) Supplier Delays or Quality Concerns
We're confident in the local 3D print suppliers we've used, but the order we place with your funds will be the first with a larger contract manufacturer. Firstly, we're vetting all the vendors and ensuring they've made high quality product for US small businesses. Secondly, we'll have a quality assurance checks on our samples to ensure that we are confident in what we approve for mass production. If the samples aren't solid, we'll delay delivery of the RingSafes to ensure that we can do further iteration with the vendor. Finally, if we have to switch vendors midstream, we'll be prepared to do so as well (we've been dual sourcing already).
2) Awareness & Getting the Word Out Past Kickstarter
If we get $15K in funding, we can get our first batch of RingSafes built and a have a few extra to market, but we're really hoping to evaluate if there are as many people out there needing RingSafe as we think. If 4 in 10 men lose their rings, then that's a huge pool of problem solving! We'll be calling on our supporters to help us keep spreading the word once you get your RingSafes.
3) Fast Follower Competition
Though we have a patent pending, if we can't get to market quickly, there's a risk some big jewelry or accessories firm will copy us ... so, we'll need your help to cement the RingSafe brand as the de facto solution to keeping your ring safe!
Support this project
- (30 days)