glyFiction - Wordless Text-Adventure Games
glyFiction - Wordless Text-Adventure Games
An open source video game engine and catalog of images, music and sound effects to build, share and sell your own puzzle adventures.
An open source video game engine and catalog of images, music and sound effects to build, share and sell your own puzzle adventures. Read more
- Complete. Everything you need to make glyFiction games. All batteries are included (and a few spares).
- All the tools you need to design and instil life into your world.
- Icons, icons and more icons. Everything you could possibly imagine and more, as well as templates, to go beyond imagination.
- Music. Great video game music. And loads of it, ready to go.
- Sound Effects. Beeps, water dripping, popcorn popping and all those audio tropes you depend on.
- Documentation, sample projects and tutorials.
- Full source code to easily build and sell your game on the App Store.
Case Study: Harlem Shake?
Another quick example of what one could "accomplish" in glyFiction, if one was so-inclined.
Android OS – This should mostly work [more-or-less] out of the box through Apportable, however a little extra funding would mean getting test devices and adding official support.
Tentacle of Doom – An as-complete-as-possilbe full playable sample, heavily inspired (borderline copyright infringing) glyFiction implementation of the classic: Day of the Tentacle.
Rewards include any relevant shipping and will be sent (internationally from Canada) as best as possible. However, if your country has sanctions against it, is prohibitively expensive to send to or is currently being invaded by inter-stellar crickets who have erected a giant crystal dome and/or multi-phasic chrysalis preventing entry, we will have to figure something else out. Fight the good fight, cricket combatants.
E-mail – A personal email from the (to-be-written) glyFiction Gibberish Bot, spouting entropy-inspired sentences; with a little heart
Beta Access – Gain early access to the new glyFiction framework as it is being made
Stickers – A limited edition, serial numbered run of Kickstarter exclusive glyFiction stickers; 73 complete sets of 20 will be produced, each with a meaningful glyph or semi-meaningful phrase of glyphs
Post Card – Another gem from the glyFiction Gibberish Bot, in physical postcard form, mailed to you; each postcard will be unique and non-sensical
Paper Pong – A signed paperback copy of my book, Paper Pong, with an optional (reasonable) message of your choice
Alpha Access – Gain instant access, upon funding, to the existing engine and all source code used in the current version available on the App Store as Escape Pirate Manor
USB Copy – The full glyFiction framework, source code, catalog of images, sound effects and music, samples and documentation all on one convenient USB stick
Everyone who pledges any amount will also have their name added to www.glyfiction.com/credits/ (unless you wish to be omitted).
There is still plenty of work to be done to release this as a complete framework, that is flexible, powerful and still user-friendly.
- Refactor a significant portion of the underlying framework
- Integrate runtime SVG libraries (currently icons are only semi-automatically rasterized at compile-time)
- Create a searchable catalog database and interface
- Search for, curate and ingest additional open icon sources
- Search for, curate and ingest additional open music and sound effect sources
- Create a user-friendly IDE
- Documentation and samples
Risks and challenges
The risks are low, as there is already a working (albeit not yet easy to use) engine, powering a game currently available on the App Store, however, there is always the possibility of a natural disaster, such as Cyberdyne Systems' Skynet finally coming online, which may require my more immediate attention (possibly as an instigator).
Otherwise, as far as life here, in 616, is concerned, I feel I am well prepared and equipped to handle releasing a complete package, with several open source projects under my belt and 25 years of software development experience, including several games and participating in various hackathons.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)