About this project
Have you ever felt like you had to cover up?
For LGBT people in Iran and other places in the world where being gay is a crime, taking off the mask is legally punishable by arrest, imprisonment, torture, or even execution.
Golf Alpha Yankee tells their true story.
The film provides an intimate immersion into the world of LGBT people from Iran, who were forced to flee their home country, and are now waiting in limbo in conservative Turkey as asylum seekers with the United Nations. They hope to receive resettlement in the west, where they may one day be free to love without penalty.
4 Reasons to Support Golf Alpha Yankee
Reason #1: To get the word out. This film will create awareness, which is the first step to change.
Reason #2: No one deserves to be punished for love. Golf Alpha Yankee seeks to give hope to individuals anywhere who are persecuted because of who they love.
Reason #3: The film is a new idea. Shot in a novel way, telling a new story, the film has great potential to reach large audiences.
Reason #4: Rewards! We have some amazing perks!
Official T-Shirts in Black, Red, or White
Art by International Artist Alan Aine
Check out Alan's website for more on his art and plenty of examples of his style:
Cookies by Amy Watkins, Baker
Chef Amy developed the recipe specifically for Golf Alpha Yankee, in order to combine her favorite Persian flavors such as Saffron, Pistachio, and Apricot, with one of her favorite traditional American cookies, the bar cookie...
Check out a spread of the reward options...
Check out a song from the movie by composer Timmi Oyen, which resamples sounds from the film to create the soundtrack:
Over 2 years of work...
With the help of a grant from Berlin's Freie Universität, and several organizations and donors, along with my own money, we've already captured this incredible story on video.
Now comes the hard part: sifting through the 100 hours of footage to cut a film worthy of international festival attention and successful distribution so that this story can reach wider audience.
Postproduction is expensive!
What Does Postproduction Mean?
These are the elements that your support will help pay for:
- Editing: where we create the narrative and fine-tune the story.
- Translations: with a large mix of Farsi, Turkish, Arabic, and German, we will need a lot!
- Color Correction: can make the difference between dull visuals and a beautifully polished film.
- Sound Mix: without any faces, we rely on many layers of sound. Getting the right mix is vital.
- Original Music Composition: Our composer and his team will use real sounds from the film mixed with acoustic and electronic instruments to create a stellar soundtrack.
- Archival Film Footage: We have to pay for the rights to use important news media and other footage to help tell the story, including animation.
- Graphic Design: the design elements of the poster and outreach materials
- Website Design and Marketing: Our website is up and running, but we'll need to pimp it out!
- Festival Campaigns: This is how we begin the process of finding a large viewership for the film.
Risks and challenges
There are many challenges involved in an intimate documentary exposing human rights abuses, made by a first-time director.
We're ready for them.
1. The film is already shot.
2. We've got fantastic images, a compelling story, and a human rights issue that is relevant now, and ready for action.
3. With international appeal, distribution through multiple markets is likely.
My training as a wilderness mountaineering and expedition leader comes in handy here...
Just as on an expedition, in filmmaking, we plan for the unexpected.
That means we practice calm, creative problem solving, which can mean the difference between life and death on the mountain.
In film, it can mean the difference between making a film, and only trying to.
We are making a film.
Thanks for your support!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (49 days)