Every dollar pledged beyond our $17,000 goal will be invested in making this album even more amazing!
Additional support will allow us to:
...take more time in the studio as needed...develop a strong marketing budget to get this CD out there!
...have some breathing room for unexpected expenses which, by definition, will come up.
THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR SUPPORT!
A Little Pocono Git-Down is...
...the debut full-length recording of Rick Hirsch's Big ol' Band.
...a modern big band romp.
...a good time to be had by all.
...20 musicians laying it all out there.
...9 brand-new pieces by veteran jazz composer Rick Hirsch.
p.s. This album will be recorded at a world-class studio just south of the Pocono Mountains, involving a band-ful of musicians with strong ties to Pennsylvania.
...is a boatload of creative jazz musicians.
...is a positive force in feel-good jazz.
...will make your day a good one!
...does NOT require a music degree to enjoy.
- Conductor, composer, and ring leader RICK HIRSCH
- Saxophonists Greg Johnson, Pete BarenBregge, Tim Powell, Kate Anderson, Oliver Fairley
- Trumpeters Eddie Severn, Brent Turney, Dale Orris, Barry Long
- Trombonists Jim McFalls, Dan Weiner, Jay Vonada, Wes Thompson
- Rhythm: Steve Rudolph (piano), Kevin Lowe (drums), Jeff Beck (bass), Bob Velez (percussion), Tim Breon (guitar), James Witherite (keyboards)
- Producer and guest accordionist: Alex Meixner
- Recording Engineer: Kent Heckman @ Red Rock Recording studio
- Mixing Engineer: Alex Venguer
- Mastering Engineer TBD
» 7 brand-new Rick Hirsch originals — 6 of which were composed for forward-thinking high school & college jazz ensembles here in Pennsylvania and Maryland.
» 2 brand-new Rick Hirsch de-rangements. Did you know he has a thing for translating non-jazz tunes into the big band language?
Here are rough recordings of 6 of these 9 tunes.
- The first bootleg was recorded at a club date by the U of Northern Iowa Jazz Band One.
- The remaining tracks are bootlegs of the Zeropoint & River City Big Bands sight-reading the tunes at their monthly bar gigs.
- The final 3 tunes are not quite finished—but will be soon!
» Tonight We Tango «
(Hirsch original — no audio yet)
» Wonderful Tonight «
(Eric Clapton — no audio yet)
» Swingardium Leviosa «
(John Williams — no audio yet)
Sheet music for the pieces on this album
The seven original compositions will be published by HirschMusic (though, there is always a possibility that Alfred Music might pick up a tune or two).
Rick would LOVE to publish the two arrangements ('Wonderful Tonight' & 'Swingardium Leviosa'), but this will depend on whether or not his request to license these tunes is approved. Stay tuned...
About HirschMusic Publications
Since 2010 Rick has operated HirschMusic Publications, a fully-professional publisher specializing in music for jazz ensembles and saxophone ensembles.
The music in this catalog has received numerous awards and distinctions, including multiple Editor's Choice designations in the JW Pepper catalog.
All titles are engraved to the highest professional standard (Rick cut his teeth as personal music copyist for Bob Mintzer, Yusef Lateef, and Toshiko Akiyoshi). And everything is available as PDF downloads and beautifully printed hard copies.
Here's how your money will be invested:
And from the Bank of Hirsch, I have $500 earmarked towards the project. This was my prize for winning the 2015 Ithaca College Jazz Ensemble Composition contest with my composition Mirage.
Believe it or not, the $17,000 goal is the minimum we need to get this project up and running. (See budget above)
But, we've got big ol' plans! And, if we are able to exceed our fundraising goal, all the better.
Here's how we'll invest your funds if you help us raise...
...$20,000...we will have some breathing room for unexpected expenses.
...$25,000...we will have a nice marketing budget to help spread the good word once the CD is released (hire publicist, produce marketing video(s), etc).
...$30,000...the musicians themselves will be able to earn more for their artistic contributions to this project. Believe me: they deserve much more than they will receive under the basic budget.
...And beyond $$$...will be a huge help in making this the best recording project it can be! And who knows...maybe we'll just take the show on the road. :-)
- May, 2016 Kickstarter Campaign
- May-June, 2016 Rick Hirsch puts finishing touches on last three arrangements
- July, 2016 Rehearse, perform, and record the music
- August, 2016 Mixing; CD design work begins
- September, 2016 Mastering, final CD design work
- October, 2016 CD manufacturing, preparing sheet music for publication
- November, 2016 time buffer if needed for unexpected delays
- December, 2016 Delivery of all rewards
- January, 2017 Official CD release & publication of sheet music
There a lot of moving parts in this project, but I believe the investment risk is low.
We have all of our ducks in a row:
- Rehearsal & studio time are scheduled.
- All musicians are lined up.
- Recording and mixing engineers are confirmed.
- The music is (almost) all written — and will be finished up soon.
- Our budget is realistic and achievable.
- Our production timeline is realistic and achievable.
- I have overseen numerous recording projects.
- I am an experienced and effective bandleader.
- I have successfully coordinated many projects of this size and scope.
- We have organized rewards fulfillment protocol.
- We have chosen a CD manufacturer.
- We have identified potential art directors.
- I have years of experience fulfilling orders accurately and on time as an independent music publisher.
And we have an amazing support network that includes you!
Risks and challenges
(see above)Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)