Hello Lovers of the Spirit of Play and well-crafted books for children,
Thank you for considering supporting the production of my book for 7 to 10 year-olds, World Cup Mouse.
The funds raised through this Kickstarter campaign will pay for the experienced team I've assembled to bring this book to publication.
World Cup Mouse is the story of Louie LaSurie, a mouse in Marseille, France whose dream is to play for France in the World Cup soccer tournament. He knows this is a long shot since he is only one and a half inches tall. His father says Louie's dream is absurd and grandiose. His mother says it's awfully dangerous and he may get squished by the huge feet of the giant humans.
But, inspired by his motto, "Where there's a mouse, there's a way," and aided by his best friend, Francois, Louie is determined to pursue his dream or get squished in the attempt.
To read the first chapter of the book, click here: http://richardseidman.com/richards-books/28-2/
Your pledge will help pay for:
1. Illustrations. A wonderfully talented artist, Ursula Andrejczuk, will be creating the illustrations for World Cup Mouse. Ursula was born and raised in Poland, and moved to New Mexico in the U.S. in 2005. She now lives in England. You can see a portfolio of illustrations from some of her previous children's books at http://ursapaintings.com/illustration.html.
2. Book Design. Chris Molé will be designing the book, including the cover. Chris is a skilled book designer and graphic artist who lives in Ashland, Oregon and with whom I have worked over many years on other projects. See http://chrismoledesign.com for more information on Chris and her work.
3. Editing. Angelle Pilkington is doing the copy editing for the book. Angelle has been a professional book editor since 2001. She was an in-house acquisitions/development editor for Penguin Group (Puffin/Speak) before becoming a full-time freelance editor. She has edited award-winning young adult novels, middle grade series, illustrated picture books, adult romances, thrillers, and mysteries.
5. Initial print run. Printing and distribution will be handled through Lightning Source.
6. Marketing. This includes sending out review copies and creating and distributing media kits, promotional bookmarks, and other promotional materials.
I've been working on World Cup Mouse off and on for more than eight years. My goal is to have the book published and distributed in May of 2014, before the next World Cup, which will take place in Brazil in June.
I will donate 5% of the net profits of each book sold to organizations that support soccer programs for boys and girls around the world. These include:
In recognition of the paper used to print the books, I will also be contributing a portion of the net profits to Friends of Trees, the nonprofit organization I founded in Portland, Oregon in 1989.
Do you have any questions about this project? Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
With your help, we can adapt Louie's saying, "Where there's a mouse, there's a way" to be, "Where there are Kickstarter friends, there's a way."
Thank you for considering supporting the publication of World Cup Mouse.
Richard Seidman, author, and Louie LaSurie, the one and only World Cup Mouse
Risks and challenges
Producing the book is just part of the process. Getting it out in front of readers is the next big challenge. My plan for marketing World Cup Mouse includes:
(1) Social media campaigns on Facebook and YouTube;
(2) Partnerships with professional soccer teams;
(3) Grassroots promotion at youth soccer games and professional games;
(4) Press releases;
(5) School visits;
(6) My website, RichardSeidman.com;
(7) Bookstore readings and signings;
(8) Endorsement blurbs from famous soccer players;
(9) Partnerships with youth soccer organizations in the U.S. and around the world.
Any additional funds raised beyond the $8,100 goal will help subsidize these marketing efforts.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (32 days)