Xenocider, a 3D shooter for PC, Mac, Linux, Dreamcast & 3DS
Xenocider, a 3D shooter for PC, Mac, Linux, Dreamcast & 3DS
Xenocider is a new on-rails shooter with retro-futuristic aesthetics and the first 3D arcade game for the Dreamcast in over a decade!
Xenocider is a new on-rails shooter with retro-futuristic aesthetics and the first 3D arcade game for the Dreamcast in over a decade! Read more
Xenocider is a 3D arcade action game with retro-futuristic aesthetics, currently in development for Dreamcast, Windows, Mac, Linux and 3DS.
An innovative approach to the on-rails shooter genre and the first 3D arcade game for the Dreamcast in over a decade, Xenocider is our personal 3D homage to the classic Space Harrier, with a little influence from Galaxy Force and Sin & Punishment thrown into the mix.
The game tells the story of Xara, a cyborg from a remote planet turned into the ultimate weapon of mass destruction thanks to her superhuman strength and speed and her combat skills in extreme environments.
Players will blast their way throughout textured polygon-built wild worlds in order to reach the planet core, where they will have to defeat a stage boss before placing a time bomb that forever banishes that planet from existence.
The story mode is comprised of 10 stages, where game mechanics are slightly altered to reflect the different environments players are moving around. An original, classic synthesizer-centered soundtrack will help create an immersing space age atmosphere.
But you don't need to take our word for it. You can play the demo we promised, here and now! Just download the appropriate version for your platform of choice and enjoy!
Inspired by classics like Space Harrier and Sin & Punishment, Xenocider will take players not only back to a time when arcade shooters where at the top of their game, but also to decades of adventure films and comic books which made us dream of a future of space colonization.
The on-rails shooter is a forgotten genre and many players miss this easy-to-play, difficult-to-master game mechanics from the arcade era. You can help us bring it back, make it happen!
Xenocider is a labour of love for us, and the result of countless video-meetings at unearthly hours in order to create an epic arcade experience that doesn't just makes us proud but also pays homage to the classics we grew up with.
But what do we feel makes Xenocider special?
- Game mechanics: easy to play, difficult to master.
- Completely customizable controls.
- Dreamcast version will support arcade stick, mouse+keyboard, and also the official Twin Stick!
- 3DS version will feature 3D effect and support for Circle Pad Pro.
- A brand new, made from scratch engine called Dreamer.
- Stable 60 fps!
- 10 levels (including special stages) + 2 extra levels if stretch goals are reached.
- Upgradable skills. This option will be available between levels.
- 3 game modes (story, arcade, boss run) + 1 extra unlockable mode if stretch goals are reached.
- 3 difficulty levels.
- Replayability and unlockable content!
- PC version running at 1080p, Dreamcast version at 480p! (3DS version at its native resolution)
- A rocking soundtrack by producer and keyboardist Juanjo Martín.
We tried to put together a list of tiers and rewards for every budget. The following is an extended description of most of the the tiers on the right on this page, but don't hesitate to ask if there's anything you'd like to know before making your pledge. We are always there to reply as soon as possible.
All pledges from $5 and above include your name in the credits and a bunch of digital contents such as graphic assets and audio fragments. Any help you guys can give us is deeply appreciated!
- Digital game: a download code for either PC (Steam / GOG / Humble Bundle, for Windows / Mac / Linux) or 3DS (eShop). Be one of the first to pledge and benefit from being an Early Adopter!
- Digital bundle: the whole digital goodies treasure chest containing a download code for the game, the complete OST, the manual, and access to backers private forum.
- Physical game: a physical copy of the game for either PC (Windows, Mac, Linux) or Dreamcast. Regular edition in jewel case. Be one of the first to pledge and benefit from being an Early Adopter!
- Physical game, special edition: a physical copy of the game for either PC (Windows, Mac, Linux) or Dreamcast. Double DVD case containing the game + extra OST disc!
- Limited PAL edition: exclusive edition of the game for Dreamcast featuring the beloved european blue packaging, and including the OST disc. Did we mention copies are limited?
- Limited Metal Case edition: exclusive edition of the game for either PC (Windows, Mac, Linux) or Dreamcast in a beautiful metal case including the OST disc. Did we mention copies are limited?
- Physical + digital: you want a digital copy of the game to play and a sealed physical copy to add to your glorious shelf? This is your pledge! You can also choose a special edition and/or add the whole digital bundle to that. There's something for everyone! ;)
- I want it all! Basically a copy of every edition for both platforms, plus the digital bundle and previous rewards! Limited to 20 backers.
- Beta access: well, this is serious stuff. You get to check out every single new beta we put together, plus 1 regular and 1 special edition of the game for the platform of your choice, as well as the digital bundle, your name in the credits and all that jazz!
- Enemy concept! You describe it, you name it, we create it. Whether you want an exploding puppet or an angel with butterfly wings is up to you. Your creation will be a recurring enemy for every player to beat! Limited to 5 backers.
- You are the enemy! We will create you as a secret, unlockable stage boss variant that will activate when you input a specific code. Of course, you may want to make your code public and let everyone see you there! Limited to 5 backers.
- Xara statue: add a bloodthirsty alien cyborg to your collector's shelf with this Kickstarter-exclusive, 18 cm tall figure. Only 10 will ever be made!
- Customized console: a Dreamcast system custom branded with Xenocider artwork. Includes the console, controller, and so many previous rewards it's not even funny. A Kickstarter exclusive, limited to 5.
- Original pencil artwork: when we first decided we needed to give Xara a unique design, these were the first (and so far, only) pencil sketches we ever put together. You will own the only and earliest original artwork of our main character, in a slim slipcase with a certificate of authenticity signed by the team. Also included is the first, hand-written music score that Juanjo ever wrote for the game! This is a Kickstarter exclusive, limited to 1! Once it's gone, it's gone forever!
We aim for total transparency. In a world where a 140-character message pretty much works as a press release, we feel lack of communication with the same users who made your project possible is inexcusable. This is why our friends and followers already know us for never leaving a question, comment, post or tweet unanswered.
Thus, we are committed to providing our followers with regular updates, as we have become known for, not just during or immediately after the campaign, and to keeping them informed about our progress with new episodes of our Dev Diaries (see below). Also, for the Beta Access backers, we plan to share at least a new beta per month with them.
When and if the campaign succeeds, some % of the funds goes to Kickstarter for obvious reasons. Another (big) part magically disappears as taxes, of course. The rest is meant to cover development, production costs, shipping, licenses, and website hosting.
Our plan has always been just making the game we had envisioned. When a friend asked us what else we would like to add after reaching the intended $92,000 goal, we simply thought of the following:
- $110,000: VMU minigame + unlockable game mode "Endless" including 3 variants: ground, air, and bosses; and 3 difficulty levels. For PC and 3DS, you can play the VMU minigame as an extra game mode!
- $130,000: we add 5 extra levels including 1 new special stage + 2 new bosses!
- $170,000: complete graphical overhaul + Wii U + PS4 + Xbox One release!
Retro Sumus is a small, independent game development team who got together to revisit genres and concepts we felt were underused, or not explored in depth back in their time. This may include old-school arcade shooting action, tech gimmicks from the 16-bit era, or an updated, western take on a typically japanese genre like the visual novel adventures… Because, really, why not?
Pier Solar is © Watermelon. Other names and brands are property of their respective owners.
Risks and challenges
We honestly believe the only risk we face is a delay in the release date. Times and costs have been carefully calculated, but in the real world there are factors that escape our control, so we assume delays are possible. However, we consider Dec 2017 is completely feasible and will do everything in our hands to keep our promise.
Whatever the case may be, we are always there on Facebook, Twitter and like a thousand Internet boards to keep you informed of how things are going. And now here on Kickstarter too, of course. We made our playable demo, our full names and Twitter profiles public so that you rest assured that, quite simply, we have nothing to hide.
You can help us write a new episode of the Dreamcast history.
Make it happen! :)Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)