Have you ever been annoyed by abruptly interruption while your 3D printer is running (Tangled filament, Nozzle jam, Power outage), causing the 3D print to fail? Do you feel depressed when your 3D printer stops at where the print is almost finished, you have to spend whole day to print it again? Are you worried if your 3D printer will print a huge objective, which will last more than 24 hours?
If your answer is yes, Resumer 3D will release your worries. Resumer 3D, an affordable and magical tiny module, is designed to resume interrupted 3D prints from any printed layer automatically. Resumer 3D is super easy to use; you simply connect it to your 3D printer via USB cable, leave your 3D printer alone and go out for a date. Resumer 3D will monitor and accurately record 3D printing data, as a result, it can resume interrupted prints due to power interruptions, tangled filament, nozzle jam and even intentional interrupts. Resumer 3D will change the way you 3D print and design.
How does it work?
Resumer 3D simulate the way of how 3D printer software works, sending out and receive G-code by USB port. By this way, when your printer is working, Resumer 3D will monitor the status of the 3D printer, record the printing data in real-time. Furthermore, there is a super capacitor built in Resumer 3D, even if the power shuts off unexpectedly, the super capacitor will keep Resumer 3D alive and store your printing information solidly. When you turn on 3D printer, as Resumer 3D has stored all the printed data, it can resume the prints from any printed layer automatically. Resumer 3D makes everything easier.
At beginning, we posted Resuemer 3D project on hackaday.io, many people are doubt that why Resumer 3D is so compatible as it can work with different 3D printers. Thanks to my team, we have tried our best to insert different USB drivers of different 3D printers; furthermore, as how Repetier-Host and Cura control 3D printer, Resumer 3D use the same way to communicate with 3D printer and control it by G-code command. Following picture is the first version:
What we can do with Resumer 3D?
1. Resuming directly from interrupted prints.
- Nozzle stops at the middle of the prints
When the printer is working, unexpected things may happen randomly. We will be lucky if the nozzle stops at the middle of prints, when the printer stops unintentionally due to power outrage. At this situation, Resumer 3D will resume the prints flawlessly, the same as it`s printed without stops.
- Nozzle stops at the edge of the prints.
When the printer is working happily, it will be still no worry if the printer is interrupted due to power outrage, however, the nozzle stops at the edge of the prints. Resumer 3D is eligible for resuming the prints as well.
Here is the print, as you can see, the resuming result is pretty good:
2. Resuming interrupted prints from any printed layer.
As you may already know, sometimes the filament runs out or the filament is broken during the printing, we are absent as well. When we come back, finding that printer is working without filament, big gap between the print and nozzle. What should we do? Print it again? No, with Resumer 3D, we can turn off 3D printer, then turn on it, adjust the Z-axis height of the nozzle, resume the print from specified layer.
When you resume prints from any printed layer, adjusting the height to proper position is very key factor if you can get perfect result.
3. Print Multi-color object with Resumer 3D by single extruder.
Have you ever thought about printing a colorful object with your single extruder 3D printer? However, it is almost impossible or too complicated unless you choose colorful filament or editing G-code. Good news is that you can print multi-color easily with Resumer 3D. You can turn off the printer to change the filament, when it is ready, turn on the printer again, Resumer 3D will resume the interrupted prints, amazing and easy, isn`t it?
Printing a colorful haummer for Sol is such an easy thing.
4. Printing with inserts, Resumer 3D will change the way of 3D designing.
As more and more engineers are using 3D printer, the field 3D printer applied to expends. It is common for engineer to design parts with inserts, will 3D printer be still eligible for this task? With Resumer 3D, the answer absolutely is “yes”, you can insert any metal parts you want during the printing. What you need to do is turning off the 3D printer, putting inserts into printings.
The following airfoil, we designed for Drone, the carbon wing has inserted printing successfully.
Compared to other solutions in the market, such as Rasberry +Power monitoring module, high-level main board, Resumer 3D has the following features:
1. Affordable and worthy: Just 21 dollars, you do not have to spend hundred dollars to buy a Rasberry Pi and Power monitoring module, you do not have to buy the extra Mainboard either. With 21 dollars, you can save hundreds of filaments.
2. Easy to use: You simply connect Resumer 3D to your 3D printer via USB cable, leave it alone. No headache of editing G-code, no afraid of technical problems when you choose Rasperry Pi.
3. High Compatibility: Currently Resumer 3D is compatible with most of marlin firmware based 3D printer. We have integrated all the USB drivers for 3D printer that we can find in the market to MCU (Miro Controller Unit). The most challenge thing is that different mainboards have different USB drivers, what`s more, part of the mainboards do not have USB drivers, then we have to develop for them. Fortunately, we overcome this obstacle, we are happy to share our product on Kicktstarter.
4. Powerful: Resumer 3D can resume your interrupted prints from any printed layer instead of resuming only from where the nozzle stops like other solutions. There are many different reasons blamed for interrupted 3D prints, for example, Tangled filament, Nozzle jam, Power outage, you will find that only resuming from where the printer stops is not good enough. If there is a big gap between the nozzle and the prints, it doesn`t work, you have to spend many hours to print it again. With Resumer 3D, you can adjust the Z axis height to the perfect height, the printer will resume to print as if it never stops.
The height resolution of Resumer 3D is 0.2mm.You can resume your interrupted printings successfully with the following two requirements:
1. The minimal printed height should be 0.2mm；
2. The minimal printed time should be 2 minutes.
When are testing Resumer 3D, please wait for at least 10 seconds before you turn on 3D printer after turning it off. Otherwise, you may find that there is NO SD card when you try to resume the printings.
When you test Resumer 3D with power outrage module, turn on the printer after turning off it for at least 10 seconds, otherwise the printer may not detect the SD card, as a result, Resumer 3D could not resume the prints. Please do not touch printings and X-axis, Y-axis, Z-axis (Except for moving the extruder.), when you resume the printer, in case of failure printing due to the movement of printings.
- Length: 69.4mm, Width: 29.5mm, Height: 17mm
- Weight: 28g
- Resolution: 0.2mm
- Resuming Height ≤ 2m
Resumer 3D Team is an international team, our team members are from United States, China, United Kingdom and Italy. We would like to give the best wishes to Mark Cole from United States from Australia. During this project, his famliy on hard times, Mark Cole`s family got bad flu. However they still do his best to make this project online successfully. They are strong and I believe that they will recover soon. Thank you for everyone, thank you for 3D printer!
Risks and challenges
With one year`s hard work, Resumer 3D comes out, both hardware and software are tested hundreds of times until they work perfectly, we are confident with Resumer 3D.
What`s more, we have partners in Shenzhen, China, who will be in charge of the manufacturing and QC to guarantee that we can deliver the products in high quality in time.
Although we have tested almost all the 3D printers that we can find in the market, we may miss some of them. If you find that your 3D printer is not compatible with Resumer, please get in touch with us, our technical team will upgrade the firmware for you, here is the link where you can download the latest firmware: https://github.com/Resumer3d/info. Thanks for your support.
- (30 days)