About this project
Heretic Playing Cards is a heresy in many ways. It´s based on alchemy and the hermetic world. Salt (for the Jacks), Sulfur (for the Queens) and Mercury (for the Kings) are the three basic ingredients of the alchemist.
This deck was designed before my first Kickstarter campaign (Requiem Playing Cards), but it was stuck with a company that did not print it. I took it back and improved the design and graphics. After five months work, it's finally on Kickstarter.
// Latest News // LAST HOURS!
ADDING decks to your pledge, it is possible! Take a look at the table and the example
FREE GIFTS: NO ADD-ON
Check update #13 for more pictures and details about Heretic Lux and Noctis tuckboxes. (Embossing and foiling layout is under approval by EPCC. A few lines might be too thing and some tweak is needed).
Heretic Gran Riserva
The list of heresies in this deck
- The Jacks are women!
- The King of diamonds has a sword instead of an ax.
- The King of Clubs has an ax instead of a sword.
- The King of Hearts is not suicidal.
- The uncut sheet has 54 cards.
- Lower prices for all, everybody is an Early Bird!
- Dynamic Rewards (uncut sheets and bricks).
- Lower international shipping prices.
- Many features already in the basic version.
- The 55th card will be decided by the backers during the campaign.
- There is the chance to have the 56th and the 57th card, both chosen by the backers.
- Printed by Expert Playing Card Company / Conjuring Arts (NYC) with Master Finish. This is same finish as the Exquisite deck (watch the review here). Read FAQs to understand the choice.
- No dice, t-shirts, coins, prints. I will focus only on the decks (but surprises will pop up during the campaign, FREE GIFTS FOR BACKERS).
- All the decks will be numbered (on the seal).
- One run, no reprint. Limited Edition for real. No overproduction.
>> SCROLL TO BOTTOM TO SEE THE TABLE WITH ALL THE PRICES <<
Heretic Lux Prototype Reviews
Heretic Lux and Noctis, spot the differences. The Noctis tuckbox are not finalized yet, work in progress.
55th, 56th and 57th card for Lux & Noctis
Here is a closer look to the extra cards. There is an ongoing discussion about the double backer cards. See comments or update. This will be decided during the campaign.
Heretic Brick XI
Updated version of the Brick XI, with the new Heretic Noctis seal (in black of course) that has been unlocked at $40k.
- Custom design to house 57 cards
- Custom opening
- Custom Seal: design and dimension
- Limited Edition Progressive number on the seal
- Graphic inside the box
Heretic Lux: The aces, custom courts, jokers and pips.
The jacks hold the symbol of SALT (body).
The queens hold the symbol of SULFUR (soul).
The kings hold the symbol of MERCURY (spirit).
Uncut sheets will ship unframed. The distributor will take every precaution to safely pack these, however minor scuffs, scratches, or creases may occur at the far edges of the sheets. These blemishes are unavoidable and are typically covered after item is framed.
Uncut Sheets are not signed. Sorry but if I have to sign them it means that they have to cross the ocean twice and raise the price.
Size: 57.3 x 61.3 cm ( 22.5 x 24.1 inch)
Displays 54 cards
- GOAL ($ 15,000): 56th card (decided together) // REACHED!!
- $ 17,000 : embossing the tuck-box // REACHED!!
- $ 20,000 : 57th card (decided together) // REACHED!!
- $ 22,500 : custom tuck-box/number on the seal/custom seal shape and dimension. // REACHED!!
- $ 25,000 : Heretic Noctis (numbered as Lux) - // REACHED!!
$ 35,000 : Heretic "Brick XI" // REACHED !!
- $ 40,000 : Noctis custom seal // REACHED!!
- $ 50.000 : giveaway !! // REACHED!!
- $ 100,000 : I go to the US and I sign all the decks (LOL)
Table with domestic and international prices
The shipping prices for domestic shipping (only USA) are included in the rewards. International backers have to add the cost for international shipping. This table shows the prices with the final amount for US backers and international backers.
Domestic shipping (USA): USPS First Class Package
International shipping: International Priority Airmail (5-10 business day as average estimation).
Produced by Nicola Smanio (Stockholm) www.nicolasmanio.com
Music by Elliot Simons
// Small graphic tweaks and fixes will be done during the campaign //
Risks and challenges
As Requiem Playing Cards, this is supposed to be a standard procedure, since printing a custom poker card deck is not a new technology. The deck will be printed by EPCC (Expert Playing Card Company at Conjuring Arts - NYC). I met the owner in person and checked the variety of paper stocks and finishing.
EPCC is more flexible, dynamic and responsive than USPCC. They have lower costs and this means lower prices for the backers.
The cards are printed with more precision and the Master Finish give a smooth feeling. If you have a Zenith or an Exquisite deck, you know what I mean.
Time to delivery is almost the same as USPCC. I will send the files of the cards during the campaign. Delays might happen, but I'll be as fast as possible, as I did for Requiem.
Many things might go wrong, you never know, the devil is in the details. I'll keep my eyes open and follow every single step of the project to make it real. I have more than 15 years of experience in graphic design and illustrations and Requiem is a proof.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORTLearn about accountability on Kickstarter
The uncut sheet is made by 54 cards: the faces.
With EPCC is possible to add a few more cards in the tuck-box, but these extra cards are NOT printed in the uncut sheet of the 54 faces.
The paper stock and the finishing of the extra cards is the same as the cards in the deck.
It´s a choice based on the previous experience with USPCC, which was quite poor in terms of flexibility, costs/prices, customer care, timing, quantity produced.
The scenario with USPCC is the following:
- I run a KS campaign and at the end the backers want 3255 decks.
- I want to order 3500 (245 for myself)
- USPCC imposes: if you order 3500 you have to count +-10% excess. Worst case scenario: 3150, or 3850.
- Dilemma. If they give me 3150, Idon't have enough for the backers. Therefore I have to order 4000.
- Again, counting -+10%: Worst case scenarios: 3600 or 4400.
- If USPCC prints 4400, I HAVE to pay all of them. Result: -+1000 decks in excess.
- The deck looses exclusivity if the campaign is based on Limited Edition.
Result: Designer not happy, higher prices, collectors and backers not happy.
Scenario with EPCC:
-I order 3500
-they give me around 3500 and they are numbered on the seal. 0000/3500
Result: Designer happy, lower prices, backers and collectors happy.
The quality of EPCC is high. Expert Playing Card Company is part of Conjuring Arts. They have experience and knowledge.
The best part is the flexibility and the additional features that a designer can add on a deck. Follow the campaign
I will open new rewards for lux bricks and noctis bricks.
If somebody wants one Noctis brick and Lux brick, just take 2 “combo bricks”
Yes, $11 per deck is quite tight for a Limited Edition deck on Kickstarter.
Consider that what makes the deck expensive is the small production, the tuck-box features, and the shipping costs (processing the orders and shipping).
Please consider also the Kickstarter and Amazon fees at 9%.
It´s basically a pledge that changes when the stretch goal is reached. The price does not change, so you are aware that you will get what is written in that reward if the Noctis is unlocked.
I will open new rewards, do not feel stuck in that. You can always change it or cancel it before the end of the campaign.
IT IS A PROMO THAT WILL END WHEN NOCTIS IS UNLOCKED
THEN A NEW REWARD WILL BE OPENED.
If you want an uncut sheet you choose the uncut sheet reward and you pledge for $30.
If Heretic Noctis will be unlocked, you automatically get 2 uncut sheets (one Lux and one Noctis) without adding money.
If you want 2 Lux uncut sheets, you will automatically get 2 noctis uncut sheets.
It´s not possible to get only 2 lux or only 2 noctis for $30. This is the limitation of the promo.
The uncut sheets need their own specific box/tube and inside the box there will be only uncut sheets, no decks.
I signed and sent uncut sheets for Requiem, just 40, and my place in Stockholm was a total mess for 3 weeks. I cannot go through such mess again, I just don't have the room for packaging. And the shipping costs from Sweden are high.
NO, sorry. I don't like them. They make things complicated and expensive.
I will give gifts instead of asking you extra money.
Yes. It will be announced and I will launch it in the middle of the campaign. Stay tuned and read the updates.
Yes, it was a choice. The “grumpy jack”, but I´m not going to put her/him in another deck.
Requiem was designed after Heretic, while Heretic (with another name) was stuck in a company that did not produce it.
Hi, here is a list of hypothetical questions:
Can I have one noctis only? Not Possible.
Can I have 2 lux and 1 noctis, or 2 noctis and one lux? Yes, in the specific "ODD" reward.
Can I have only noctis? Only as brick.
Can I have only one uncut for 25$? Not Possible.
Can I add one uncut to my decks reward? Not possible, to get the uncut use the specific reward, unless you are in the Early Bricks group.
If I am in the uncut sheets reward, can I add decks? Yes.
If I am in the limited or sold out reward, can I add decks or uncuts? Yes.
The Noctis is numbered separately from Lux? Yes.
The tuckbox of Noctis has the same shape/opening and seal as Lux? Yes.
If I have the uncuts and I add decks, can they go in one box for the shipping? Absolutely not.
How does the Noctis Tuckbox look? Working on it :)
Support this project
- (30 days)