UPDATE - The Project is Being Relaunched.
Please Check the updates section for more information. Thank you!
What's The Story?
Happy Happy Joy Joy, The Ren & Stimpy Story will shed light on how a cartoon about a twisted chihuahua and a dim-witted cat became an animation masterpiece; influenced American television, comedy and 90's pop culture at large; rebelled against the status quo and affected the lives of those involved. The 90 minute film will feature interviews with key players and fans, never before seen footage of the show’s development, archival footage and original animation.
Where Are We Now?
Over the past year, Kimo and I have shot dozens of interviews with artists, writers, directors, producers, and executives who contributed to Ren & Stimpy. We've also traveled back and forth across the US and Canada, interviewing fans and major celebrities who fell in love with the series.
The footage has been captured in full 4k...and it's stunning. Many of those connected to the show have also opened up their personal archives, allowing us to photograph never before seen Ren & Stimpy storyboards, concept art, pencil tests and stills.
The next phase is post production. It's expensive and that's why we are asking for your help. Here are the top line costs we need to cover to complete the project:
- Music and Music Licensing - Oscar-nominated Composer Shawn Patterson, who worked on Ren & Stimpy, is helping us out but we still need to license some of the show's music, pay the musicians and book the studio.
- Original Animation - One of the key components of the film will be original, animated shorts based on stories told to us by Ren & Stimpy alumni. The animation will be in the same hand-drawn style of Ren & Stimpy -- and it's a TON of work. We are hiring some of the uber-taleneted artists that have worked with John K to create these.
- Main Titles & Interstitials - We have some killer ideas on how to visually present the archival materials. Simon Clowes, who is the motion graphics genius behind the title sequences for Superman Returns, Sherlock Holmes, and Xmen: First Class is onboard. He's helping us out but we still need to pay his team.
- Sound Design / Editing / Mixing - Brian Mendelsohn, another R&S alumnus, will be doing the sound. We need to buy drives, license FX, cover studio costs and compensate Brian for some of his time.
- Legal & Licensing - Not the most exciting part of the process but really necessary given all the footage and artwork we'd like to include. Help.
- The Rewards - Yup, all those great looking items are high quality and cost dough....some of which is going directly to the original R & S artists.
We have HOURS of fantastic interviews, TONS of amazing archival artwork, an AMAZING TEAM in place, and now we just need YOU!
Please take a look at the list of rewards and choose one (or a few if you can!) Kimo and I would really appreciate it and you will too when you see the film.
Choosing Multiple Rewards
Here's how to choose more than one reward:
1- You need to make the initial pledge. You'll see a "Back this Project" button if you haven't pledge yet
2- After your pledge, Press the "Manage your pledge Button above."
3 - Increase your pledge in the "pledge amount" box by the total monetary amount of the add ons you want to add.
4 - After the end of the campaign, you'll receive a survey asking, "How would you like to use the additional funds?"
We'd love to hear from you! Contact us here on Kickstarter, on our Facebook page at Facebook.com/renandstimpydoc or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If we exceed our goal, we will be adding stretch rewards so please check back before the campaign ends. We will send out updates to keep you posted.
Please note, the exact release date of the film is still in flux and will affect when DVD's and links are sent out. Rest assured, we want to see the completed film as much as you do!
Other Ways to Help
We are hugely grateful for any monetary contributions you can make to the film. We would also appreciate your effort in spreading the word about the project on social media, email or even old school one on one's. Thanks again!
A Note on John K & Nickelodeon
Happy Happy Joy Joy, The Ren & Stimpy Story is being independently financed. John Kricfalusi is not backing the film, nor is Nickelodeon -- it's only Kimo and I. "Ren & Stimpy" and any relevant characters are fully copyrighted and owned by Viacom / Nickelodeon and are used with permission.
We have asked John K multiple times for an interview. He has okay'd the participation of several people close to him, however, as of now, John himself has refused to participate...but who knows what the future holds.
Risks and challenges
We are incredibly fortunate to have the support of so many of the original Ren & Stimpy crew. We have also have received an initial project sign-off by Nickelodeon, who owns the licensing rights to Ren & Stimpy. This occurred days before launching this campaign and we could not be more excited! Needless to say, this has mitigated a lot of our risk.
The only other challenge would be finishing the film with a reduced budget. That said, Kimo and I are both very confident, given our years in film and TV, and the support of so many Ren & Stimpy fans, we'll be able to meet that challenge and complete the film this year.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)