About this project
The goal of this project is to kick start our "East Asian Village" effort. Sure, these models buildings look good, but they are also highly functional. Built for 28mm gamers, these are modular units - so you can pull them apart and reassemble them into different buildings. You can remove the roof to see inside the upper floor, remove the upper floor to see the ground floor. We're aware that a village is a lot more than just buildings - so we're gradually creating a strong line of accessories - anything you might find in a typical village.
Our "flagship" model is our giant pagoda. This is a huge building on seven floors - lift any of the levels off and you'll see floors etched with a 1" gamer grid, realistic planking, a spiral staircase and detailed, multi-colored walls.
For this Kickstarter, we're pleased to announce that we're collaborating with Black Hat Miniatures http://www.blackhat.co.uk to add bonus figurines for many of our reward levels.
For more pictures and other product information check out our website at http://RenaissanceMiniatures.com
The estimated reward delivery dates given at right assume we just make our goal - or slightly exceed it. If we go far over that amount, it will take more time to deliver rewards to backers who pledge later on. This table give you our best estimate for when we'll ship your rewards if you back us when we've already raised significantly more than our goal.
We will deliver in roughly the order people pledge - so the amount that we've raised WHEN YOU BACK US is what matters for you - not the amount we ultimately reach:
- Up to $10,000 - end of July (Based on how well we did on our last Kickstarter).
- Up to $13,000 - end of August.
- Up to $15,000 - end of August (We'll be able to move to a larger workspace).
- Up to $20,000 - end of September.
- Up to $28,000 - end of October.
- Up to $30,000 - end of September (We'll buy a second laser cutter).
- Up to $40,000 - end of October.
- Up to $50,000 - end of November.
- Up to $60,000 - end of December.
- Up to $70,000 - end of January.
- Up to $80,000 - end of December (We'll buy a third laser cutter).
- Up to $90,000 - end of January.
- Beyond $90,000 - add one more month for every $15,000 we raise.
Again, these are "best estimates" - with such large production volumes, actual delivery dates may vary a little either way.
This is a summary table - please use the reward information over on the right to understand the details of what we are providing at various pledge levels. Pictures of all of the rewards are in the "GALLERY" section below.
Numbers in brackets are the additional cost for international shipping.
- $4 (+$5) - Hokora (roadside shrine).
- $5 (+$5) - Sampan (boat)
- $6 (+$5) - Outrigger canoe (with lateen sail).
- $8 (+$5) - Ox Cart.
- $8 (+$5) - Hwacha (rocket-arrow launcher)
- $10 (+$5) - Arched bridge.
- $10 (+$5) - Ornate bridge.
- $10 (+$5) - Eight fence pieces.
- $10 (+$5) - Two market stalls.
- $12 (+$5) - Twakow (boat with junk sail)
- $15 (+$7) - Six Animal figurines
- $15 (+$7) - Four Male Peasant figurines
- $15 (+$7) - Four Female Peasant figurines
- $15 (+$7) - Four Child Peasant figurines
- $15 (+$5) - Four roofed wall sections plus Tori gateway.
- $15 (+$6) - Peasant house.
- $25 (+$7) - Ronin house with one ronin figurine (1)
- $25 (+$7) - Small Shoji (paper-walled house) with one female fighter figurine.
- $25 (+$8) - Swordsmith's house with one swordsman figurine.
- $30 (+$8) - Potter's house
- $35 (+$8) - Small temple (1)
- $35 (+$10) - Overseer's house
- $40 (+$10) - Large Shoji (paper-walled house) with one female fighter figurine.
- $40 (+$20) - Dojo (martial arts training building) (2)
- $50 (+$15) - Destroyed District
- $80 (+$20) - Tea House with four female fighter figurines,
- $95 (+$20) - Junk (ship)
- $175 (+45) - Pagoda with 8 palace guard figurines (1)
- $100 (+$20) - Large temple with 2 Lions and 4 monk figurines.(1)
All of these packs offer significant savings over the separate kits, and a few items are only available in the multi-packs (eg the palanquin and the boat dock).
- $20 (+$6) - Bridge pack (two bridges and a boat dock)
- $20 (+$5) - Vehicle pack (Palanquin, Sampan and Ox cart)
- $25 (+$5) - Boat pack (Twakow, Sampan, Outrigger canoe and Outrigger with sail)
- $150 (+$30) - Basic Village: Peasant's house, Ronin house, Small Shoji, Large Shoji, Swordsmith's house, bridge pack, fence pack and vehicle pack.
- $170 (+$30) - Small Fleet: Two Junks (boats)
- $175 (+$45) - Peasant Village: Peasant House, Swordsmith's house, Overseer's house, Potter's house, 17 roofed wall panels, Tori-gateway, 4 male, 4 female and 4 child figurines.
- $190 (+$45) - Fishing Village - Four buildings on stilts, boat pack with bonus sampan, 6 dock pieces, 2 suspended nets.
- $295 (+$60) - Imperial set - Pagoda, Tea House, Large Temple.
- $450 (+$75) - Magnificent Village - Imperial set plus Basic Village plus Dojo.
- $600 (+$100) - Resplendent City: Magnificent Village plus Peasant village and Small Temple.
- TBA (+TBA) - Radiant Megopolis: Magnificent Village plus Peasant village plus Fishing Village.
Pre-assembled (sorry, not available with international shipping):
- $600 (n/a) - PRE-ASSEMBLED Magnificent Village.
- $800 (n/a) - PRE-ASSEMBLED Resplendent City.
1) You have a choice of 5 different color schemes for Ronin house, both Temples and Pagoda.
2) There are a limited number of Dojo's available.
3) You get a Free Hwacha with orders of $40 or more.
4) You get a Free Hokura with large and small temples.
5) All packs that include buildings also include the bonus items and figurines that go with those buildings.
6) You get a Free Destroyed Building module (see Update #14) if your pledge includes a Basic Village, Fishing Village or Peasant Village. You get a second destroyed module if you pledge over $200 and a third if you pledge over $500.
Let's allow the models to speak for themselves:
(See also, the "Bonuses & Stretch Goals" section below)
Bonuses and Stretch Goals.
UNLOCKED: At $20,000 we added the Dragon Dojo as a *free* bonus item for everyone who pledged for the Magnificent Village level - and offered it at a steeply reduced price as an Early Bird special.
UNLOCKED: At $30,000 we added the "Hwacha" model as an additional reward and give it away *free* to everyone who pledges $40 or more.
UNLOCKED: At $35,000 we added the Small Temple model, a number of variations of the Peasant house and an entire Peasant Village along with additional rewards for a new series of BlackHat miniatures peasant figurines, sculpted especially for Renaissance Miniatures and this Kickstarter. We also created the "Resplendent City" reward and the option to purchase our largest sets in pre-built form.
UNLOCKED: At $40,000 we added a range of additional color choices for the Ronin house, both Temples and the Pagoda - and all pledgers will be invited to tell us which color combinations they want for those kits in the final Kickstarter survey.
UNLOCKED: At $42,082 we added the "Twakow" boat, the Outrigger canoe with lateen sail and a "Boat Pack" containing four boat models.
UNLOCKED: We added a special "Fishing Village" reward level with docks and some additional goodies to help set the scene. This includes a Boat Pack and an additional Sampan as a free bonus.
UNLOCKED: Random Generosity level! We added free destroyed building modules for everyone who's pledge includes one of the three village levels - an additional free destroyed module for all pledges over $200 and a third one for pledges over $500.
UNLOCKED: Destroyed District reward level.
Risks and challenges
Renaissance Miniatures was Kickstarted last November from no more than an idea into a small, but viable, home business. For that, we owe an eternal debt to our wonderful backers! We learned many lessons from that experience, and now we know where the business is headed.
At the $8,000 minimum goal, this Kickstarter will establish our second major project line - the East Asian Village. But now that is has done as well as last year's project (which earned $42,000), we will be able to build more production capability.
Experience with the first Kickstarter tells us that we can produce around $10,000 worth of product per month - but that's working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week! That's just not sustainable. A more realistic production rate with our existing equipment is $5,000 worth of product in a 40 hour work week. We also realized that the storage space that we require is more than our present workshop can support. That puts a tight cap on the number of simultaneous product lines we can support...and that has to change.
At the project goal of $8,000 we had cash put aside for laser cutter spares and maintenance - enough to keep us running - but not much more. Now that we have passed $35,000 we will move to a larger facility and buy a second laser cutter, and even with a more realistic 40 hour work-week for Renee, we'll be able to complete $10,000 worth of product per month - but only after the second laser cutter comes online in early July. With sales at our online store taking perhaps a quarter of our production capacity, the estimated delivery date for our earlies backers will be around two months - at the end of July.
That estimate increases by one month for every additional $10,000 worth of pledges we receive.
Since we have passed $40,000 we will consider taking on a part-time employee to help Renee with packing and shipping.
At higher funding levels, and once we're relocated and working with two laser cutters, we will consider whether adding a third laser cutter will improve production rates - or whether having more help for Renee in paint, packing and shipping would be a better way to speed things up. Should the project go wildly viral, we would consider paying Steve (our unpaid designer) to come and work for the company full-time to increase the breadth and depth of the product line.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter