About this project
If we get to $100,000, we can do everything on this list and MORE! CLICK HERE TO SEE
If we get to $200,000 this is an idea I had... CLICK!
We now have a Backer Only Tumblr with exclusive previews on work for Womanthology! Check the private Backer only update for link and password!
Quick notes: You cannot make multiple pledges. If you wish to pledge for a few things, add those amounts to your pledges and notify me what they are!
The rewards include shipping, but we *humbly request* if you live outside the US to add $5 to help with the added cost! Thank you so much!
All pledges from the $15 sketchbook and beyond will get their name in black text in the book (unless noted otherwise in a specific reward)
What is Womanthology & what makes it so special?
Womanthology is a large scale anthology comic showcasing the works of women in comics. It is created entirely by over 140 women of all experience levels, including top industry professionals such as:
- Barbara Kesel (Writer/Editor Marvel, DC, Crossgen, Image, Dark Horse)
- Gail Simone ( DC writer, Wonder Woman, Birds of Prey, Secret Six)
- Annie Nocenti ( Marvel writer, Dardevil, Editor for Uncanny X-Men, New Mutants)
- Ming Doyle ( Boom, Image, Marvel artist)
- Devin Grayson (DC writer; Batman, Nightwing, New Titans)
- Lauren Montgomery (Director & Storyboard Artist - Justice League, DC)
- Fiona Staples (DC, Wildstorm, IDW , Vertigo artist)
- June Brigman (Creator; Brenda Starr, Power Pack)
- Samantha Newark (Voice of JEM, Singer/Vocals - God of War, Hook)
- Bonnie Burton( Grrl.com)
- Many, many more! See Full List of Contributors HERE
Click the pic to check out some amazing artwork from our contributors!
The purpose of the book is to show support for female creators in comics and media. There will be multiple short stories, "how to"s & interviews with professionals, and features showcasing iconic female comic creators that have passed, such as Nell Brinkley and Tarpe Mills. A Kids & Teens section will also be included, showcasing their work, and offering tips & tricks to help them prepare themselves for their future careers in comics. Overall, this is pretty much a huge book showcasing what women in comics have accomplished, and what we are capable of :) We are also hoping that by doing this book, it will encourage a new generation of women to pick up the pencil and create!
Part of what's special about Womanthology is its equal opportunity aspects. Big- name professionals like Gail Simone are paired up with new and upcoming talent to promote opportunity and chances for those newcomers to learn, and give them a stage to show what they can do. For instance, Gail will be paired up with extraordinary new artist Jean Kang! Or for, another example, legendary artist Camilla d'Errico will be paired up with up and coming writer Raven Moore! Check out the Womanthology site for more exciting team ups!
How do we plan to do this?
The book is currently in production. There is a tentative release date for Womanthology of December 7th, 2011, which may change. We will keep everyone updated as things develop. Please check the FAQS for notes on rewards and when they will be sent! :) Please watch for unlocked rewards that will include a special password to a place where you can preview the works from the many talents of Womanthology!
What is the money for?
The current Kickstarter goal amount would help us print a small run (1500) of books. This will be a 300 page, 9x12, hardcover, full-color book. All money earned goes directly to printing costs and other fees such as postage/production of rewards.
Our current goal is $25,000. If we, by some miracle, make OVER that goal we have some very special plans! Please see the FAQS below for more information!
Why should I pledge for this project?
Womanthology is the first of its kind. Never before have women in comics & media come together in such a huge way to create something like this. Never before has there been a publisher willing to give so many people a chance. By pledging, you are helping to create a piece of history itself, and being there to support a massive, positive movement of people into the right direction.
Thank you so much if you even considered helping! It's very much appreciated by all of us!
... You mentioned special unlocked rewards?
Well fine sir/miss, I sure did! The closer we get to our goal, and the more special rewards taken up, the more I can offer! There are more special rewards planned; please check back often so you don't miss out on some really special opportunities that I have planned ;) !
UNLOCKED REWARDS SO FAR!
See More of Fred Jeska's work HERE
- The animated sequences in the video were part of an animated music video for "Into the Woods" by singer Cilla Jane, with animation by the incredible Adam Phillips. Into the Woods is about a girl's journey through childhood and her experiences to becoming a woman, and triumphing in the end. I thought it was just a perfect fit for the mood and theme of Womanthology! They were kind enough to let us borrow some clips to help us with our project. So thank you Adam and Cilla! :) Please go HERE to find out how you can get the song!
- Contents and contributors of the book are subject to change as production continues
- Make sure to check out the FAQ on rewards for important additional information!
Thanks to everyone for all of your support! Feel free to message me with any questions or concerns! ;D email@example.com
Please make sure you read this before pledging for this reward!
IMPORTANT! NO UPPING OF PLEDGE AMOUNTS TO GET THIS! MUST BE SINGULAR PLEDGE! :)
This reward is to have a wonderful Marvel artist fully illustrate your script! This is for a 22 page comic ( and cover), that will also be colored & lettered, with a good chance at publishing (depending on the story! So make it awesome ;D ). Artist requests nothing "R" rated, no violence towards children, no sexual stuff, no "furry" stories. Writer has complete ownership of rights. Writer must be civil and not too controlling over artwork (no billions of revisions, etc). Artist estimates completion of pencils/inks 6 weeks or so after receiving the script. Then coloring afterwards. More details on publishing chances will be given later on! Artist wanted to give this once in a lifetime chance to a creator, as someone gave him a chance early on in his career. It's priced at $1,500 as it's an iconic price. TMNT got started on a $1,500 loan, and the Xeric Foundation gives $1,500 grants. This is all about opportunity and giving chances. So don't let this pass you by!
The current Kickstarter goal amount would help us print a small run (1500) of books. This will be 300 page, 9x12, hardcover, full-color book. All money earned goes directly to printing costs and other fees such as postage of the book to all of you fine people! :)
Our current goal is 25,000. If we, by some miracle, make OVER that goal, here is what we will do:
- Up to 50,000 will mean MORE books printed. See our site at http://womanthology.blogspot.com for more information on this! We may even be able to afford a special Womanthology table at a big upcoming con!
- 50,000 - 70,000 I will put toward funding the printing of ANOTHER book that will bring more opportunity to creators that just need that chance! Not just women this time! :)
- Over 70,000 .... if there was a miracle in the universe that would allow us to earn more, my ultimate goal would be an expanded version of what this book is about. To create an organization that supports new creators and their creator-owned comics, helps fund them to complete their works, and get them out to major publishers for their chance to shine. The comics industry NEEDS this right now! This would really be a great way to support comics, and help move the industry and all the fantastic creators in it, to a brighter, more awesome future!
Yes it does! :D If you live out of the United States I *humbly request* that you add another $5 to your pledge. :) That would really really help us and we will be eternally grateful!
At the moment, our contributor lists are completely full and we're not looking for artists or writers for this volume.
However, we're maintaining a backup list of creators interested in contributing to any future volumes we make if this volume is successful. If you'd like to be added to that list, please email http://mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org, telling us:
* Your name
* Whether you're an artist or a writer
* Whether you're aged over 17 (younger contributors are welcome too; we just need to make sure we handle the paperwork and legalities correctly for minors).
* A link to your website, if you have one.
Each reward has a different time for when you can expect to see them. Some also merit special consideration;
1. Copies of the Womanthology Book; We have a tentative release date of December 7th, 2011, which may change. We will try very hard to have everyone's shipped and in your hands by Christmas! Please note for SPECIAL copies of the book, (i.e. the signed or sketched in copies) those need extra time to complete. Please allow at *least* an extra month for those, but we will try very hard to get them out to you asap.
2. The SKETCHBOOK has a tentative release of October 2011, maybe sooner!
3. SPECIAL CAMEOS; all aspects of the cameo are subject to the artist/writer choices ( pertaining to size of cameo, how you're drawn) Also please keep in mind it takes months for a full production of a comic book from completion of art, to release date. We will keep in touch with you about when you may expect to see it! These are great opportunities to be immortalized by amazing comics creators!
3. Of special note ALL CAMEOS will require a release of likeness form to be signed by you, to avoid any technical problems, and so the artist/writer can be as creative as they want with you!
4. If we are shipping you a reward and you live outside the United States, we *humbly request* you add another $5 to your pledge. This will really really help us and we will be very grateful!!
5. FAQ for SPECIAL LIGHTSABER REWARD: Here are your choices of lightsabers! Darth Vader; Anakin Skywalker; Darth Maul; Assajj Ventress; Mace Windu See them here; http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/collectibles/b72c/
6. FAQ for SPECIAL THINKGEEK MEGA PACK reward! - Here are the items it includes! The best seller pack would be an Electronic Rock Guitar Shirt http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/interactive/c498/ BuckyBalls magnetic Building Spheres http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/science/bbe8/ the Bag of Holding http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/bags/aaa5/ X-mini Capsule Speaker http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/speakers/9e68/ and the Star Trek Enterprise Pizza Cutter http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/kitchen/dea2/
7. SKETCH COPIES OF BOOKS - Please note that it will take extra time for the completion of a sketch copy! We will keep in touch with updates for you, but please keep into consideration the artist has regular work to take care of as well. Also what is drawn is subject to the artists choice, though you can make requests and I will pass it on, though there is no guarantee! :) Thank you!
Womanthology will be available for sale in stores in early 2012. We're working also on setting up pre-orders for anyone who wants to guarantee themselves a copy: if you'd like details of this, please send your name to email@example.com and we'll contact you as soon as we have a pre-order system in place.
Q. Do higher-priced rewards automatically include all the items listed at lower-priced reward levels? For example, if I pledge for the $100 script review reward, will I also automatically get a copy of the book?
A. No - each reward includes only what's listed explicitly in the reward description in the column on the right. You can pledge for multiple rewards by choosing the highest-priced one, increasing your pledge value to cover the total amount of all the rewards you want, and messaging us to specify what you want the reward to cover. For example, if you want the $100 script review reward and a copy of the book, you need to pledge $150.
We know other Kickstarters use "cumulative" prizing, but weren't familiar with this when we created our own page - each of our rewards is free-standing.
Support this project
- (31 days)