About this project
UPDATE: 12/17 - STRETCH GOAL!
I am so incredibly happy that funding is successful! THANK YOU ALL! Beyond initial funding, if we could get to $70,000 I can then include a good size "preview" of the second graphic novel into everyone's copies of "Volume 1". This particular section would be about Captain's Hook, where he came from, and a glimpse into what drives him (and yes all the information came from J.M. Barrie!)
If we could get to $100,000 we could open up Volume 2 for purchase, but I understand that is probably just a dream! :)
THANK YOU ALL FOR A SUCCESSFUL CAMPAIGN! :)
About this project...
My goal is to adapt the original novel of Peter and Wendy by J.M. Barrie into a graphic novel that is as true to source as possible. The original story is one of the most beautiful novels I've every read, and has always been a huge inspiration to me. I feel current adaptations leave a lot of the original story left untold, or have fundamentally changed story elements. Therefore I feel doing this Graphic novel is a terrific way to highlight the fantastic original story of Peter Pan in it's entirety. I also intend to further explore Peter Pan and Captain Hook's backstory by adapting parts from J.M Barrie's The Little White Bird ( prequel to Peter and Wendy) and a little known information given by Barrie about Jas. Hook into the story.
I also would like to create something that parents can share with their children. It's my hope that creating something children can also experience will encourage reading, creativity, and appreciation of classic tales.
Those that have not read the novel may not realize just how much deeper and more involved the original story is. I don't want to give away all the differences between present adaptations and source material, but I promise it will be worthwhile to experience them if you are a Peter Pan fan like I am.
(click image to see larger)
I am not a Peter Pan expert, I am just a person who is a lifelong fan who loves the story. I'm so looking forward to starting this project, and to highlight J.M. Barrie's masterpiece to the best of my abilities.
(click image to see larger)
* * *
Why we need funding....
This Kickstarter campaign is to get VOLUME 1 (of 3) completed, and set the groundwork for the rest of the series. I will be adapting and penciling the artwork, while my husband, Ray Dillon, will be tackling inking, coloring and lettering. Ray and I previously worked on the New York Times Bestselling adaptation of Peter Beagle's The Last Unicorn Graphic Novel by IDW. You can see some at our work on TLU HERE.
I am focused on Volume 1 of Peter Pan right now because I don't want to keep backers waiting for over a year for the whole series to be completed before they receive their reward.
Upon first sight, $48,000 seems like a lot of money. However, Kickstarter campaigns are not straight donations and in reality a campaign costs a lot of time and money to fulfill rewards ordered and manage correspondance. So only part of the money asked for actually go towards creative production of the book.
- Production costs- We are the entire creative team for the book, and if you break down what funding we'd get for the 90 pages of full production work we'd create, the rates break down to less than we would get paid elsewhere. I didn't even include funding for the time to adapt, letter, design, create promotional images, covers, pin ups, take care of the Kickstarter, or work on the sketchbook. In short; we are not becoming rich by any means with this campaign. Our only intent is to be able to work on Peter Pan, and be able to survive through it!
- Kickstarter/Amazon Fees - Roughly 8%-10% of final funding
- Taxes - self employed rates apply
- Production of books - These rates vary depending on amount ordered, but takes up a nice chunk of funds
- Shipping & shipping supply - Another large chunk, depending on amount shipped
- Buffer Amount - This should be included in ANY Kickstarter. This includes money aside for dropped pledges, lost books, refund requests, and any errors and miscalculations.
* * *
How Kickstarter Works...
Kickstarter is unlike regular online ordering experiences in that you are not just buying an item for precise arrival, you are joining us in our personal adventure to complete this project. You'll be with us for both the victories as well as the bumps and difficulties, all culminating in receiving the final product which we have all given so much to achieve. Kickstarter is more about supporting ideas, people, and projects than it is to receive an item right away. Just so you're aware of everything before you join us in Neverland! :)
- Step 1. Create a Kickstarter account, and determine payment method
- Step 2. Decide which Reward you'd like, taking special note of any shipping estimates.
- Step 3. Wait and see what happens! If our campaign is successful by December 20th, then your card will be charged and your reward is secured. If our campaign is unsuccessful, then your card will NOT be charged.
- Step 4. (optional ;) ) If you would really like to see this project succeed, then the most helpful thing you could do is help spread the word! Tweets, facebook posts, blog posts, whatever you want to do to help, we would eternally appreciate it!
* * *
We are aiming for September 2013 for delivery on most rewards. Please consider this includes an overestimate of about 4-5 months for research and production, 1 month for design, 2 months for printing, and 1 month for shipping.
***Christmas 2012: For those who order Peter Pan: Vol. 1 as gifts, you will have access to a printable certificate on December 20th featuring new Holiday Peter Pan artwork. It will certify the recipient that they have a copy reserved for them for when the project is completed next year. They will also get a password protected URL link to visit to see the same previews and updates you receive as a Kickstarter Backer! :) Merry Christmas!
Unless noted otherwise, ALL rewards include your name listed in the "Honorary Lost Boys and Girls" section of the book, as well as access to Kickstarter Exclusive previews and updates!
TYPES OF REWARDS
- Peter Pan: The Graphic Novel - Vol. 1: This will be a hardcover, 100 page, full color graphic novel. The story will be about the first 3rd of the original story, as well as extra bits from The Little White Bird and, if space allows, a small peek at an adaptation of little know information given by J.M. Barries about Captain Hook. For bonus material I hope to include an interview with Christine De Poortere, Peter Pan director from the Great Ormond Street Hospital, as well as a brief biography spotlighting their relationship with Peter Pan.
- Peter Pan: The Companion Guide: A sketchbook sized 90 page booklet that includes ALL the penciled artwork for Volume 1, as well as thoughts and notes on the adaptation process by me!
- Signed/Sketch/Artwork Copies: These copies will require longer processing time as to have time to create the artwork on the interior cover :) Signed copies should be much faster.
- Cameo Reward: This reward will require a photo and release of likeness form signed. I will send you a scan of your cameo when finished! :) Note: I probably won't have time for any revisions, but I'll do my best to make sure it's right!
- Page to Yourself Reward: Please contact beforehand to be sure we can print what you have in mind! :)
- Event/Hooks Revenge Reward: Contact if you have any questions!
*NEW* Penciled Page Reward - You'll receive one penciled page from the Graphic Novel. These pages are 11 x 17 and will be chosen at random (though if you have a requested section of the story, let me know and I'll try to accomodate!) HERE is a sample of my penciled work: Note - this sample is a 2 page spread. Your will be getting a standalone page
*NEW* Tinker-Doodle Reward - (YES I noticed I typed "dairy dust" instead of "fairy dust" in the reward listing, and NO you will not be getting powdered milk with your reward! :p ) Here is the Tinker Bell Doodle to expect in the companion guide (though it may slightly vary)! There are slight gold "fairy dust" accents.
* * *
Great Ormond Street Hospital...
Before J.M. Barrie passed, he relinquished all rights and profits to Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children in England. His hope was that Peter Pan's success would forever serve to help children in need. The novel version of Peter Pan is now in public domain, however I am determined to keep to the spirit of Barrie's gift. If somehow this series (Volume 1 and onward) becomes successful upon regular publication, it is my goal to benefit GOSH in some way. It is only right.
* * *
JOIN US ON THE ADVENTURE!
A VERY special thank you to Peter Mellini and his store, Nostalgic Book & Comics for helping us get this Kickstarter up and running! Go check out his store online, or in person if you are in the San Gabriel, CA area! (and if you see him, give him a HUGE hug from me! :) )
Risks and challenges
My husband and I are both professional comic book artists who work from home with 2 children, with no family support living nearby to help out. You can imagine the juggling can get quite intense, especially when one child is a toddler bent on the destruction of the universe.
I have also had some health issues this last year, which kept me from work for awhile. This will be my first project since getting better, and I am very anxious to get going again!
With the natural layout of my life being the way it is, delays can happen when issues arise at home. I have, however, tried to accomodate time for any potential delays into my estimate.
Peter Pan means so much to me, and I'm looking forward to working on this book! :)Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
The novel version of Peter and Wendy is public domain in the US and in many countries. However I still care deeply about J.M. Barries intention that Peter Pan benefit Great Ormond Street Hospital, It's a goal of mine that this series goes towards helping them in the future in some way.
Support this project
- (29 days)