Wild Light - An Unexplored Survival RPG for PC
Wild Light - An Unexplored Survival RPG for PC
An unforgiving roguelite RPG set on a procedurally generated island. Craft and explore by day. Fight for your life by night.
An unforgiving roguelite RPG set on a procedurally generated island. Craft and explore by day. Fight for your life by night. Read more
What makes this game stand out?
Wild Light takes features common in other survival games such exploring, crafting, and building but then places these in a rogue-lite, top-down, combat-oriented RPG. Wild Light is intended for shorter games that last until your character dies, and each game is full of procedurally generated content that keeps the experience new and exciting.
We wanted to create a true survival game that is difficult and rewarding, and that keeps the gameplay fun and fastpaced.
- Hardcore, open-world, survival game: Survive as many days as possible, and each death means a new, randomly generated world and play-through.
- Advanced crafting system: Every piece of crafted equipment has random stats. Hundreds of craftable items.
- Randomly generated invasions: Prepare for invasions that occur every night. Each invasion is a random selection of enemies with different weapons and stats, forcing the player to adapt.
- Procedural generated islands: Depending on the specified world size, a number of islands are generated with varied terrain, loot, enemies, and special locations.
- Building system: Build walls, traps, turrets, and other defenses in preparation for the night.
- Hunger: Plant crops, hunt for animals, and forage to stave off your hunger.
- Character selection: Choose from over 50 unlockable characters, each with different stats and special equipment.
- Character progression: Card-based perks, where on each level-up the player chooses one of three special abilities. Perks are dealt differently each playthrough. Stats naturally develop based on use.
- Explore and scavenge: Discover new islands, treasure, and crafting possibilities.
- Equipment: Items have randomly generated stats and abilities. When crafting items, you will rarely get the same result twice.
Add to your Wishlist and Follow Wild Light on Steam:
About the Developers:
We are brothers and Co-Developers of Wild Light. We have developed video games and apps together for over 10 years, and this is our first big release title. We grew up playing video games with our father, and we still to this day continue to all play games together on Friday nights.
Alec Hall - Co-Developer
The mastermind behind the coding, complex algorithms, and procedural generation, Alec has created most of the core mechanics of the game. Inspired by Starbound, Terraria, and Fortnite.
Charlie Hall - Co-Developer
The-Jack-Of-All-Trades, often doing a little bit of everything. Charlie is responsible for graphics, the Kickstarter, some coding, and maintaining the business side of everything. Inspired by Minecraft, Don’t Starve, and Skyrim.
The current version of the game is playable with most of the core mechanics finished. We still have plenty of content to add, and we also need music. The game should be ready for Steam early access in a polished state in 2018.
We need funding in order to continue working on the game full-time. Currently, we're working part-time jobs to pay the bills. We need to hire a music designer, and possibly a graphics designer to help us finish up the sprites.
- Procedural generation: Each death is permanent, but night invasions, islands, enemies, items, and equipment are all randomly generated, making each playthrough unique.
- Rogue-lite: Shorter games that only last until you die. The increase in difficulty as the days increase creates an ever-increasing urgency to prepare for the night.
We've created a game engine that makes adding new items, npcs, events, characters, and other content quick and easy. We will be adding additional content during and after early access.
Combat is crucial in Wild Light. We are developing a combat system that avoids being just a button-masher, but rather focuses on strategy, item selection, preparation, and well-timed strikes and blocks.
Players can equip weapons in both left and right hands and change weapons quickly depending on the combat situation. Dashing, blocking, stamina, unique power attacks for each weapon, and ranged / melee weapons allow for numerous combat styles and tactics.
Each weapon has its own unique special attack, strengths, and weaknesses. Melee weapons are powerful but put players at an increased risk of taking damage.
There is a great assortment of ranged weapons including bows, crossbows, spears, and more. Ranged weapons are useful in avoiding taking damage, but also require ammo which players will need to find or craft during the day.
Magic weapons allow for the greatest versatility and damage, but require large amounts of magic.
Titans: A variety of invasions, along with a unique boss for each invasion type.
So what's the deal with multiplayer? We love co-op games and competitive survival games. Multiplayer would add a lot to the game, but we aren't sure yet if its possible (or affordable, given the extensive time required). If we do add multiplayer, it will be post-release.
Here is our plan for how the funds will be put toward Wild Light:
Being fully funded enables us to work on the game more and still have money to eat.
Hire a freelancing graphic artist for different jobs. This would free us up for spending more time on game developement.
Tame animals to ride, farm, or guard.
Variable weather, which can affect crop growth and visibility. Meteor storms, lightning strikes, and more.
Find animals to hunt or be hunted by in the ocean. Discover treasure in the depths, but beware of sharks.
Additional biomes, allowing for even more exploration and world diversity.
Risks and challenges
We have the programming and graphic design experience to finish creating the game, yet we are not sure exactly when the game will be finished because we are not sure how much funding we will receive which will determine how much we can expand our team.
Frostforged Games is a new company, but we are experienced game developers. We have published over 70 apps total onto both main app stores and have created several prototype indie PC games. This is our first time publishing a PC game, and it might prove difficult for us to market the game since it's our first attempt in the PC market.
Thank you for viewing our project! We have put countless hours into Wild Light, and we hope you support us by backing our project.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (33 days)