There are many tales of creepy dolls throughout history. Gathered within Colorful Tales of Dreadful Dolls are 20 such tales for your consumption. From a CPR dummy to a baby doll in a cradle to a doll smashed and found in a creek, they all have stories. Perhaps even more frightening, they all want you to know them.
Colorful Tales of Dreadful Dolls is a new coloring book project created by artist Carie Varner. This adult coloring book features original inked drawings by Carie that combine the whimsical, fantastic fun of coloring with the uneasy eeriness of seeing life within the lifeless dolls.
The coloring pages within Colorful Tales of Dreadful Dolls are all hand-drawn images by Carie based on her original ideas, as well as a few based on the photography of RiddimRyder Photography.
Each of these images will be accompanied by a short-form story detailing the doll's dreadful existence, written by author Ryan Faricelli. Ryan works in the communications industry and has had his short stories published in multiple anthologies and magazines. He has also published a book, On A Roll, about role-playing games and hosts a podcast based on it.
Carie Varner is an artist and illustrator from the Chicagoland area now living in Cleveland, Tennessee. Carie has a Bachelors of Fine Arts from the American Acadamy of Art in Chicago with a concentration in Life Drawing and Sculpture. After graduating, Carie trained under world-renowned oil painter Wes Berrier and was commissioned to create and construct a life-size sculpture for the Welcoming Hall at the VNA Hospice Center in Valparaiso, Indiana. Today, Carie continues to make art as Reel Fun Studios and considers her greatest piece of art to date is her daughter, Dakota Grace, whom she co-created with her husband, Ryan Faricelli.
Colorful Tales of Dreadful Dolls is the next logical step in Carie's art career. Last year, she participated in a gallery show called Art is Dangerous. For that show, Carie acquired and then broke many porcelain dolls and re-assembled their faces askew. Her daughter, Dakota, was born with a cleft lip and palate, and this garnered unusual reactions from others. People were either drawn to the deformity or made uncomfortable by it. Carie's goal with the dolls was to evoke from gallery visitors the reaction that her daughter evoked.
Carie got the reactions she wanted at the show, but unfortunately, no one seemed to want to take those dolls home with them. Back to Carie's studio they went. And sat. And stared at her. Until one day, one of her friends suggested she should do a drawing of one of them. One drawing led to another, and now it's become Colorful Tales of Dreadful Dolls.
If you are pledging enough to receive a physical copy of Colorful Tales of Dreadful Dolls and would like to add an additional physical copy, you can do so for just $15! Any additional copies will be sent to you featuring the same reward level bonuses (signed or sketched in) as your initial backing level grants!
How do you do this? Contribute any amount you want that is at least enough to qualify for a physical copy of the book. Then, manually add the additional $15 to your pledge. This will ensure I have accurate numbers for my printer and ensure I don't miss any orders.
You may order as many additional copies as you wish in this way, but note there is already a backer level to receive 2 signed copies and a backer level to receive 10 unsigned copies. ALL BOOKS MUST BE SHIPPING TO ONE ADDRESS.
Now, for the Stretch Goals!
Here they are:
- 50 Backers – Our daughter, Dakota, will draw a doll for the book, Carie will ink it, and Ryan will write a matching story! ~~UNLOCKED~~
- 100 Backers – Mirror Universe time! Ryan will draw a doll and Carie will write the story to be added to the book!
- $1,000 – Everyone that pledged and got us to this will receive a Dreadful Dolls wallpaper as a thank you! ~~UNLOCKED~~
- $1,250 – Everyone that is receiving a physical copy of the book will also receive a Dreadful Dolls bookmark! ~~UNLOCKED~~
- $1,500 – We will be adding 3 brand new doll illustrations and stories to the book! ~~UNLOCKED~~
- $1,750 – Stickers! We heard you and obey! Everyone that is receiving a physical copy of the book will also receive a Dreadful Dolls sticker that you can color with markers! The stickers will also be unlocked to be an add-on as well! ~~UNLOCKED~~
- $2,000 – We will create a video story of one of the dolls as a thank you to everyone! In addition, we'll be adding 3 more doll illustrations and stories to the coloring book! And now, the exciting announcement we just confirmed! ~~UNLOCKED~~
- $2,250 – Independent comic book creator/writer/artist J.R. Mounts of Scairy Tales Noir fame will be adding his own doll and story to the coloring book! ~~UNLOCKED~~
- $2,500 - Everyone that is receiving a physical copy of the book will also receive a Dreadful Dolls postcard!
- $3,000 - Everyone that is receiving a physical copy of the book will also receive a Dreadful Dolls magnet!
- $3,500 - We will be adding 3 brand new doll illustrations and stories to the book!
Risks and challenges
There are always risks with Kickstarter.
All of the artwork is completed for this project, and the short stories are nearly all finished. The only real work remaining on this project is the actual printing. This will be the second book I've worked on with my printers, so I am familiar with their process and do not anticipate any problems.
Unforeseeable issues could always arise. The one that is most possible is that this coloring book could be immensely popular and result in an unexpectedly giant number of books needing to be printed. This is could result in a short delay.
I will keep all backers updated on progress. I'll do my best to get everything to the printer with plenty of time for the Oct mailing date I have set for you all. <3Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)