What is a Literary Short Film?
It's like a music video, for books. Whereas book trailers, commercials, and movie trailers exist solely for marketing purposes, a Literary Short is an art form all on its own. It gives a cinematic glimpse into the book, one that will ideally create interest in the author in general. If you like the trailer you will read the book. If you like the book you will explore the author, and so on. In short, it's a 21st century spin on storytelling that looks something like this one, which The Rumpus recently called one of the best out there...
Why are Literary Shorts Important?
Books are awesome and so are the authors who write them. The few methods that do exist to spread awareness about literature tend to get extremely spammy. Literary Shorts have the potential to bring millions of readers BACK to the page, not to mention open up a whole new world of opportunities for filmmakers.
Why Should You Contribute?
If you've gotten his far, we thank you for your time and interest. Our incentives are extremely useful and exciting. The goal was to give our backers something to walk away with. We offer rewards to remember this project for years to come. Just like us, you may long for the days when writers and their books were celebrated like rock stars! Literary Shorts are a new way to celebrate a classic medium, fusing the new with the old is a way to reintroduce readers to the adventures of literature.
The Four Writers and Their Books:
1. Neighbors of Nothing by Jason Ockert (Dzanc Books). This brilliant short story collection examines characters who find themselves searching for new identities in worlds they no longer recognize.
2. In the House Upon the Dirt Between the Lake and the Woods by Matt Bell (Soho Press). Bell also wrote Cataclysm Baby and How They Were Found.
3. The Stud Book by Monica Drake (Crown Publishers) which is Drake's follow-up to her debut novel Clown Girl.
4.This Jealous Earth by Scott Dominic Carpenter (MG Press). This is Scott's debut story collection. His novel Theory of Remainders was released in 2013.
- Signed Book Copies
- Free Literary Blurb Shorts (click here to watch one):
- Walk-on roles in the films
- Online writing workshops with the authors
- Publisher's Book Bundles, which include:
The Dzanc Book Bundle
4 eBooks, including:
- The Brunist Day of Wrath by Robert Coover
- The Book of Important Moments by Richard Wiley
- Laymen's Report by Eugene Marten
- Flushboy by Stephen Graham Jones
The Soho Press Book Bundle
- Notes from a Coma by Mike McCormack
- Getaway by Lisa Brackman
- Detective Inspector Huss by Helen Tursten
- Jade Lady Burning by Martin Limon
- Zoo Station by David Downing
The MG Press Bundle
A signed first-edition of Scott Dominic Carpenter's novel Theory of Remainders.
A one-year print subscription to the Midwestern Gothic.
Every back issue of the print version of the Midwestern Gothic.
Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/red14films
"Like" us on Facebook: facebook.com/red14films
Founders: Red 14 Films was founded in 2011 by writer and filmmaker Adam Cushman and cinematographer/producer Michael Sandow.
Risks and challenges
Risks and Challenges
Like any new art form, the whole thing is experimental. What if no one watches the short films? What if no one likes them? In one sense, these are legitimate risks. In another sense, that's what makes the whole thing interesting and exciting.
Then, of course, there are the inherent risks when you make a film of any sort. Sick actors, erratic weather, scheduling conflicts. So many things can go wrong that can affect the release of the films as well as the delivery of some of the rewards. The upside of this is that Red 14 is comprised of experienced filmmakers and producers who are ready for anything, and can use most setbacks as a way to get more creative.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (40 days)