We make beautifully-designed, premium men’s swim shorts. For our launch we have created 5 prints, each inspired by an endangered or threatened wildlife animal.
For each design we have partnered with a remarkable, grassroots non-profit organisation, and for every pair of swim shorts purchased we will contribute $30 towards the project each of our partners has curated for us.
Every idea starts with a problem - and for us it is how wasteful and irresponsible we are as consumers. Very often our purchasing decisions are ruled by quantity over quality, and price over purpose. Our mission, at Rebel, is to be a catalyst for social change and unite people in taking a stand against ignorance.
How we treat our planet is a reflection of our intelligence and our humanity. Species are increasingly becoming extinct, and 99% of currently threatened species are at risk from human activities.
To put a pair of Rebels on is to join us on our mission. Let's make a commitment to ourselves and the future generations to make a purposeful effort to reconnect with nature and become socially responsible and environmentally conscious consumers!
What do a successful serial entrepreneur, an experienced mergers and acquisitions financial consultant, and an accomplished illustrator and designer have in common? We are out to disrupt the conventional purchasing behaviour and realise our belief that business can be used as a tool to turn us into better and more socially responsible consumers.
After months of hard work and innumerable drafts and mock-ups our amazingly talented designer has created 5 beautiful prints of endangered and threatened animals. Our goal is, through our designs, to encourage and inspire people to reconnect with nature, and to do our best to preserve it.
To us, Rebel is a passion, and so we looked for grassroots organisations who shared our commitment to raising awareness, educating people and reconnecting them with nature.
We are very honoured and privileged to have such amazing partners, so committed to the work they do. In addition to sharing a great passion for conservation, all of our partners also excel at engaging and educating their communities.
- Maldives Whale Shark Research Programme is an amazing organisation that carries out whale shark research and fosters community focused conservation initiatives in the Maldives. They do incredible work and through it, have grown to become the only long-term organisation dedicated to studying the iconic, yet vulnerable whale shark species in the Maldives. We are so excited about partnering with them for our Whale shark print and all the great work we will be able to do together!
- Forest, Nature and Environment of Aceh (HAkA) is a local grassroots NGO working to protect the Leuser Ecosystem in Indonesia. They are fighting on the frontline to try to save the critically endangered Sumatran tiger, the inspiration for our print, from ending up as something that only exists as a historical record. Tigers have lost over 93% of their historical range and the threats pushing this awe-inspiring animal to the brink of extinction are forest habitat destruction and fragmentation, poaching of tigers and hunting of their prey, and killing due to conflict with villagers.
- Panda Mountain is a fantastic organisation based in Sichuan, China, working toward engaging people, both visitors and the indigenous communities, in an effort to demonstrate that people can bring about positive ecological change. For our Giant panda print we have partnered up with this amazing NGO and will assist them on their mission to conserve and restore the Giant Panda habitat in Wolong Nature Reserve. We were so inspired by their motto: "To protect and conserve the Giant Panda is to restore the balance between people and nature".
- Project Jonah is an exceptional and inspiring grassroots NGO located in New Zealand, connecting local volunteers to marine mammals through rescue, action, and protection programs. With around 50 Maui dolphins left in the world, our print was designed to raise awareness of the rarity and threats these beautiful dolphins face.
- Galapagos Conservation Trust is a remarkable organisation of passionate people, focused exclusively on the conservation and sustainability of the Galapagos Archipelago. To achieve successful conservation and sustainability, GCT funds scientific research and analysis, promotes education and training, and supports good citizenship and cultural exchange.
Our swim shorts are made using only the highest quality textiles. The fabric we use is 100% polyamide - soft, durable, quick-drying, and shrink-resistant. The special technique we use to apply our prints onto the fabric allows the colours to remain vibrant for a long period of time, while also preventing them from fading after continuous exposure to sun and salt water. To achieve this, we have partnered with one of the best designers and producers of highly reliable technical textiles. We source our fabric from a family-owned business with over 100 years of extensive expertise in weaving, knitting, and dying. As with every aspect of our brand, we have selected a partner who has a long-standing commitment to sustainable development.
It is our inherent belief that attention to detail is key. After extensive research and advice from industry experts, all components and design elements that go into making our Rebels have been customised and optimised, so that we can deliver to you the best product possible.
We source only the highest quality thread commercially available, allowing us to produce a stitch with high tear and abrasion resistance. But that's not all! After months of testing the weak spots of industry-standard men's swim shorts we decided to reinforce the seams around some key areas, such as the front pockets, as well as use a special twin-needle stitch to strengthen the textile components joined together to create our shorts.
It was very important to us where our swim shorts would be made. We wanted to bring the manufacturing process to an area which would benefit from the opportunity and foster growth for the local community. Both our co-founders grew up in Bulgaria, a country known for its textile industry and skilled seamstresses, so it wasn't really much of struggle to decide that it would be the perfect place to make our swim shorts.
Our commitment to the environment goes beyond our swim shorts. We have made the conscious decision to use environmentally safe and recycled materials to produce all of our labels and packaging in order to minimise our carbon footprint.
We are all about comfort and want to make sure you love the fit of your new swim shorts, so we have created a comprehensive guide to help you in finding your perfect pair of Rebels.
We spent months designing what we believe to be the coolest swim shorts around, and now that we have great suppliers and partners we are ready to get our shorts out to all of you. The challenge we are facing comes from the fact that the textile industry operates with significant order minimums. We need your help in funding our initial production costs. Additionally, we are aiming to disrupt the traditional archaic model of distributors and retailers, and wish to communicate directly with our supporters, so we want to create a beautiful and engaging website where we can grow the Rebel community!
When we started Rebel we faced some very difficult decisions about the animals we would choose for our first prints. There are so many endangered or threatened animals and we have so many ideas about our next designs! With this reward you will be entitled to a pair of customised Rebels each year, for the next 20 years, and you can either keep it for yourself or be an awesome friend and gift it to someone :)
Are you curious about how we create our designs and choose the animals? Is there an endangered animal you would love to give a voice to? Do you have some amazing ideas on what our next design should look like? Then, this is YOUR reward! We would love to have you spend a day with us and share your inspiration, so that together we can create the next Rebels!
This really is one of the coolest rewards EVER! Whale sharks are thought to live up to 100 years and so little is actually known about them. Over the last decade the MWSRP has recorded 240 individual whale sharks in the Maldives. All of them have names, picked by those that first encountered each shark. With this reward you will have the opportunity to name your very own whale shark! You can then keep tabs on 'your' whale shark via the MWSRP's mobile app and see what it's been up to and where it has last been spotted!
If you can't back us you can still help! Please, share our campaign with your friends and family, and spread the message, so that together we can take ownership of our planet's future today!
Risks and challenges
One of the most time-consuming aspects of making the swim shorts is the production, dying and printing of the fabric. Our production partners have given us lead-time between 3-4 weeks, so we are completely dependent on them meeting the schedule and delivering on time. Should there be a delay in production we will immediately inform all of our backers and do all within our power to minimise time lag.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)