A sandbox fantasy computer RPG. Explore, fight enemies, craft items, mine ore and build buildings. How will you craft your realm? Read more
This project's funding goal was
About this project
Are you ready for the next evolution of multiplayer sandbox games?
Realm Explorer will be a computer game about creation in the fantasy universe of Gnostaria; your creations. In perhaps the most dynamic sandbox world yet to be conceived you will be able to dig the soil and mine ore, precious metals and gems all in a beautiful and dynamic 3D world. The terrain will shape and form to your actions. Drive a shovel into the ground and watch the earth give way. Heave your pickaxe into a cave wall and see the stone disintegrate before you; revealing the treasure beneath. Go on adventures alone or with friends via internet multiplayer and craft weapons, armor, tools and other items. How you play is up to you. The possibilities are limitless.
A new Realm rises from the Sand
At its core we didn’t want Realm Explorer to be just another “sandbox” – we wanted it to be a true sandbox RPG. Character customization and development are just as important to the game design as being able to mine and dig. To start you will be able to completely customize your character’s appearance. From hair and skin color for both male and female characters to facial hair and other details you can make a character that looks the part. With so many options for customization your character can truly be unique.
A New Type of World
We’ve also gone to great lengths in creating a world in which nearly everything you wear can be visually represented on your character. Backpacks and belt pouches don’t just sit as icons in your inventory; your character wears them for everyone to see. Each piece of armor or clothing is also visually represented and individual pieces can be mixed and matched for utility or style; it's entirely up to you. If you’re wearing a chainmail shirt and cloth pants you will see the different pieces visually in the game. You can even go so far as to wear a different boot on each foot or a different glove on each hand.
In most games you can only use your imagination to envision what your character might look like with all of his different equipment; in Realm Explorer it’s a lot more fun to actually see it with your own eyes.
Don’t just mine and craft; experience a rich fantasy roleplaying game
What would an RPG be without character advancement? Not only can you dig for resources like iron and gold or diamonds and rubies and then craft items from them; your character will also gain skills as he performs different actions. The more you play the more powerful your character will become. This will allow him to create better and more interesting items or fight more powerful monsters. Your ability to craft different items is based not only on what resources you have collected but also how far you’ve advanced your character's skills. Keep mining, digging, building, crafting and fighting and your character will continue to grow as you play.
You're going to need a lot of shovels and buckets for this one...
Now, before the hardcore sandbox fans get too concerned we’ve already got you in mind as well. You will be able to completely configure the game to your desired play style. If you simply want to mine, dig, collect resources, craft items and build structures you’ll be able to do so. You can configure your realm to exclude various RPG elements, including hostile enemies, skill gain and even death and damage if you so desire. Realm Explorer is designed with features that go above and beyond the basics of what we normally think of in a sandbox game but you’ll be able to enjoy the beautiful visuals without the risk that adventure elements bring if you so choose.
Why are we making Realm Explorer?
We wanted to continue to expand a genre that is near and dear to our hearts and the hearts of many indie game players and developers alike: the fantasy sandbox RPG. Big publishers have so far mostly ignored sandbox games which is probably for the best. This means that we the fans have to take up the flag and lead the way into the future. Realm Explorer is our way of making those hopes and dreams a reality and bringing a new and exciting experience to you, the player.
We're very excited to have the opportunity to share Realm Explorer with you and we can't wait to see what you create in your realms!
Realm Explorer blends Fantasy RPG elements with a Sandbox World
- Generate unlimited unique worlds. Explore vast and interesting procedurally generated sandbox worlds set in the fantasy universe of Gnostaria.
- Play online with friends via internet multiplayer or enjoy a single player world.
- Built in server browser. Find other games or host your own.
- Persistent game worlds. Play now and come back to the same world later, just as you left it. Multiplayer games can be hosted indefinitely online for public or private worlds.
- Shape the terrain. Dig anywhere using shovels and pickaxes. Mine resources from natural caves, raise or demolish hills and mountains or construct tunnels.
- Cut down trees to clear land and collect lumber.
- Craft and create any item in the game. There are hundreds of weapons, armor, clothing and more. If it's in the game you can make it. Use the resources you gather to make new and better items.
- Unique crafting system. Use a combination of “hand tools” (e.g. hammers, scissors, saws) in your inventory and “craft stations” (e.g. forges, anvils, looms, tanning racks) to construct different items.
- Complete character customization. Change facial features, hair style, facial hair, skin color and more. Choose between either male or female characters.
- See what you wear. Armor and clothing are visually represented on your game character on a piece-by-piece basis. Mix and match armor and clothing pieces for utility or style. You can wear a different boot on each foot or a different glove on each hand. Your character will look like what you are wearing.
- Visible backpacks and belt pouches. Additional inventory-extending containers like backpacks, rucksacks, belt pouches and belt packs can be worn and are visually represented on your character.
- Expand your inventory slots. Different types of containers will give you more usable inventory space.
- RPG elements including character skills and character development. The more you perform actions the more your skills related to those actions increase. For a pure sandbox experience players can turn off skills and focus entirely on gathering resources and building.
- Drop items. Pick them up later. Items you drop on the ground appear and can be seen or taken by other players (or NPCs).
- Physics. Realm Explorer makes use of a physics engine for various gameplay elements.
- Future game modes including multiplayer co-operative “Defense” mode, where players work together to hold off waves of incoming enemies, are planned.
- Smash and destroy almost any item in the game.
- Real-time action-oriented combat mechanics. One click = one swing.
- Battle fierce enemies. From the common wolf or the mundane rat to incredible golems and horrifying undead.
- Jump between offensive and defensive stances to block and parry attacks. Perform defensive maneuvers like kicks and shield bashes.
- Wield hundreds of different weapons and use different weapon styles; swords, axes, maces, hammers, spears, javelins, bows, crossbows, daggers, knives, one handed weapons and giant two-handed weapons. If one weapon isn’t enough why not use two? Dual wield any two one-handed weapons for double the fun.
- Find and collect rare items and artifacts.
- Interact with friendly and hostile NPCs.
- Participate in dynamically generated quests.
- Experience a breathtaking dynamic weather system and dynamic day and night system.
- Enjoy a brief, optional story campaign “Gnostaria: Golem Wars” and take part in the exciting story of golem-kind throughout the realm. Can a golem really have a heart of gold?
- And much more!
Let the Games Begin!
We're thrilled to reveal Realm Explorer to the world here on Kickstarter. Backers like you are the reason this project will become a reality. Realm Explorer has already started but with your support we'll be able to see it through to completion.
If you've already backed Realm Explorer you're not done yet; get out there and tell your friends, family, classmates, people at work, everyone you know on Skype, Facebook and Twitter and anyone else who might want to be part of the grass roots team to get this project funded. We want to make sure we can get all of those awesome rewards to our fans. If Realm Explorer isn't fully funded none of that will happen!
If you haven't locked in your reward yet; what are you waiting for? Get out your credit card and join us in creating this incredible new gaming experience!
We Support Kicking It Forward
RealmSource pledges to put 5% of any profits from Realm Explorer, once the final game is released, back into other KickStarter projects.
DRM generally refers to additional hardware or software (SecuROM, StarForce, SafeDisc, etc…) meant to restrict access to content. You will be pleased to learn that we will not be shipping Realm Explorer with any of this kind of intrusive and computer resource occupying software.
We are however planning on having a login process when you start the client. This will of course require an internet connection to validate your credentials. By logging in you will be able to join multiplayer servers, download updates, and receive news. This is necessary due to the persistant nature of the game. Without having a central authentication for internet-hosted games it would be impossible to accurately determine which characters saved on the server you are connecting to belong to which players.
That said, there will of course be a way to play offline for those that want to enjoy the game where an internet connection is not available. This makes pirating the game a lot easier, but we’re not willing to sacrifice the ability of people to buy the game to be able to play it.
In short: Realm Explorer will be DRM-free.
We are developing on and for Windows right now but will also be able to support Mac at some point in the future. As far as Linux it is possible that the game will run under Wine or similar environment but this is untested. We presently don't have any plans for a dedicated Linux client in the scope if this Kickstarter. After the final release if there is enough demand it is something we can look into.
Realm Explorer will be available on both Windows and Mac.
50 backers All gone!
Early Adopter Special! Get a free full version digital copy of Realm Explorer upon its final release. Early Adopters get this special price! Help us kick-start our Kickstarter!Estimated delivery:
You will receive a free full version digital copy of Realm Explorer upon its final release. You'll also have the thanks and gratitude of the development team!Estimated delivery:
Get into Realm Explorer with early closed Beta access. You will be able to interact with the developers and community in the private beta forums and make suggestions for changes to the game as we approach the final release. You will also receive a free digital copy of the game on its final release.Estimated delivery:
The earliest access to Realm Explorer. You will receive closed ALPHA access to the game as well as membership to a private Alpha-only forum. You will be able to interact directly with the development team and your input will help shape the game.
You will also receive an exclusive in-game "Kickstarter" achievement; only given to those who participate in the Alpha.Estimated delivery:
Explorer Tier: Get all of the previous rewards plus become a member of the Explorer Tier. You will receive a limited edition real metal Realm Explorer coin designed by the Realm Source team commemorating your contribution to Realm Explorer.
Additionally you will receive an exclusive "Explorer" icon that appears next to your name while in the game; only available to people who back the Kickstarter project!
Note: You will be given immediate access to the Alpha and Beta when they become available. It may take up to the estimated delivery date for coins to arrive in the mail. International shipping may take longer.Estimated delivery:
Founder Tier: Get all of the previous rewards (including the collector coin) plus become a Realm Explorer Founder. We will add your name or company name to the game credits. You will also get special forum access to the Founder Club where you can talk with the dev team on a regular basis. Additionally you will receive an exclusive "Founder" icon that appears next to your name while in the game; only available to people who back the Kickstarter project!Estimated delivery:
Elite Tier: Get all of the previous rewards AND get a special collectible metal "Realm Sigil" medallion designed by the Realm Source team. Additionally you will receive an exclusive "Elite" icon that appears next to your name while in the game; only available to people who back the Kickstarter project!Estimated delivery:
Name an NPC: Get everything up to and including the Elite Tier plus submit a name to be randomly assigned to neutral NPCs in the game. It can be your name, the name of a friend / family member, the name of a character from your table-top RPG days or a completely made up name. If a fictional name it should be appropriate to a medieval fantasy setting, must be appropriate for all ages and cannot infringe on any existing copyrights (for example we can't use a name like "Luke Skywalker").Estimated delivery:
Create an Item: Get all of the previous rewards up to the Elite Tier AND provide the concept for an item you would like to see in the game. The item must fit the medieval fantasy genre but can be anything from a wooden chair to a katana. Our artists will create unique, high quality artwork and our development team will design the crafting requirements and item stats. You just provide the idea!Estimated delivery:
Create Armor / Clothing: Get all of the previous rewards up to the Elite Tier AND provide the concept for a set of armor or clothing you would like to see in the game. The item must fit the medieval fantasy genre. Skull armor? Armor with spikes coming out of it? A ballerina dress? Now's your chance to get that piece of armor you've always dreamed of but never seen in a game before.Estimated delivery:
Create a Creature: Get all of the previous rewards up to the Elite Tier AND provide the concept for a creature. The creature must fit the medieval fantasy genre and can be either monster or animal.Estimated delivery:
Ultra Package: Get everything up to and including the Elite Tier plus choose one from any of the previous "Create" tiers (Create an Item, Create Armor / Clothing and Create Creature).
In addition to all of that you will receive several exclusive items: a Realm Sigil medallion designed by the Realm Source team made of damascus steel, a high quality Realm Explorer poster signed by the entire dev team, a CD with the Realm Explorer sound track, a T-shirt in your size plus a call with the entire development team on Skype to discuss the game.
You'll also receive a physical DVD copy of the game that has been autographed by the development team in addition to the regular digital download.Estimated delivery:
Ultra Creator Package: Get everything in the Ultra Package ($5,000 reward) plus ALL of the following: Name THREE NPCs, Create an Item, Create Armor / Clothing and Create a Creature.
You get to provide a concept for one of each "Create" reward plus name three NPCs. The ultimate package for someone who wants to create!Estimated delivery:
You will receive everything in the Ultra Creator Package ($7,500 tier) plus an invitation to the Realm Explorer launch party in Fabulous Las Vegas, Nevada!
Meet with the development team and enjoy a night out on the town in Las Vegas. Just take care of your transportation and lodging and we'll take care of the rest!Estimated delivery:
- (31 days)