The Kickstarter campaign is over, follow us now on readiymate.com
reaDIYmates are fun wi-fi objects that you can build easily. They move and play sounds depending on what's happening in your digital life.
Choose from a variety of existing designs, use our templates or create your own object.
Then decide what you want them to do through a simple web interface. Link them to your digital life (Gmail, Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare, RSS feeds, SoundCloud, If This Then That, and more to come) or control them remotely in real time from your iPhone.
You don't need any creative or technical skills to build and use your reaDIYmate, but if you want to go further, we made it super easy for you to change designs, write applications, or add inputs and outputs. They're Arduino compatible and you can plug 50+ solderless electronic bricks.
reaDIYmate is the new toolbox for the digital natives!
Anatomy of a reaDIYmate
To make assembly easy, reaDIYmates come in two parts:
- The animated body contains a mini servo motor and a speaker. It is made out of strong, high-quality paper.
- The computer brain with an MP3 decoder, 2GB SD storage and a Wi-fi chip - safely enclosed in a plastic box featuring a cool arcade push-button.
Place them anywhere in your home or office. They don't need to be connected to a computer, just to a power plug.
Choose a design or create your own
There are a lot of different ways to have fun with reaDIYmate. Choose from a variety of existing designs among Paper Toys and Kinetic Sculptures, draw on blank templates or build you own using any other material.
Paper Toys collection
(Larger pictures here)
Kinetic Sculptures collection
(Larger pictures here)
Create your own design!
Hack existing objects or build your own using the technique of your choice: paper, Lego, wood, laser cutting, 3D printing, modeling clay… anything works.
Because the delicate electronics are all inside the reaDIYmate box, you can concentrate on your idea without having to solve complex mechanical issues. You can use our "motor + sound" building block or fit directly the speaker and servo motor into your creation.
Decide what it will do for you
Set up your reaDIYmate's behavior by using a simple could-based web interface.
Define a single action or combine them to create a more sophisticated behavior. Here is the list of actions available at launch:
- Facebook: Move and play an MP3 when you receive notifications, new messages, friend requests and likes (See the video below). Post a status when you press the button.
- Twitter: Move and play an MP3 when you are mentioned and have new followers. Send a tweet when you press the button.
- Foursquare: Move and play an MP3 when a friend is in a certain venue. Check-in when you press the button.
- Gmail: Move and play an MP3 when you receive an email from a specific person or an email where the subject contains a keyword. Send an email when you press the button.
- RSS: Move and play an MP3 when a feed is updated or when it contains a specific keyword.
- IfThisThenThat: For even more channels, use ifttt to trigger events on your reaDIYmate.
- Soundbox: Follow a SoundCloud user and the new sounds will be played on your reaDIYmate when they are posted.
- Remote: Use your iPhone accelerometer to play in real-time with your reaDIYmate or the reaDIYmate of a friend! This is telekinesis! (See the video below!)
- Inbox: Send an email with a sound attached to any reaDIYmate and it will play that sound.
- Copycat: Do exactly the same things at the same time as another reaDIYmate.
For each action, choose a sound in our online library, or upload your own MP3s. There’s no need to connect your reaDIYmate to your computer to change its behavior: the reaDIYmate will synchronize automatically over-the-air.
See them in action
Expand it (if you wish!)
If you feel even more creative or want to have some technical fun, we have paved the way for you.
Write a new application
reaDIYmate is 100% Arduino compatible. Write your own sketch using our libraries and publish it in our applications directory. If you choose to make it public, any other reaDIYmate user will be able to install it in one-click from the web interface.
You can also interact with a reaDIYmate through its HTTP API or web-socket for real-time communication.
reaDIYmate is compatible with the 50+ solderless electronic bricks from Seeed Studio (check them here). You can also plug most Arduino shields onto the reaDIYmate board.
Where we are, where we go next
For more than a year, we have been working on making reaDIYmate a fun and useful companion that spans the digital and physical world. But this is just the start.
Your backing will allow us to make the necessary investments for tooling, sourcing, and manufacturing of the first collection of reaDIYmates – and to add new and exciting functionalities.
Thanks for your support!
- (45 days)