IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN! (da da DA-da dadadada)
We've already reached our goal, but we're not done yet! We have some incredible new rewards from Mark Waid, Jeff Parker, Skottie Young and more! We've reduced the price on other rewards to make them more affordable andevery new pledge (or increase of an existing pledge) makes you eligible for a free commission sketch of YOUR choice by our cover artist Ben Caldwell!
Let's show the world just how valuable an idea The Graphic Textbook really is!
WE DID IT! (AND WHY WE NEED TO KEEP GOING)
From ALL of us here at Reading With Pictures, thank you so much. With your help - not just through pledges but also retweets and Facebook posts - we've reached our goal and taken The Graphic Textbook from idea to soon-to-be reality. Of course we still have almost three days left in the campaign, so the question now becomes... "How high can this thing go?"
WHAT WE'RE TRYING TO DO...
The Graphic Textbookunites the finest creative talents in the comics industry with the nation's leading experts in visual literacy to create a gamechanging educational tool for the classroom and beyond, one that’s tied to a revolutionary impact study overseen by the Learning Sciences Department of Northwestern University.
The goal is to create an awesomeness-filled book of the highest artistic quality and literary merit that also meets all the criteria necessary to be accepted as classroom curriculum.
Aimed at grades 3-6, The Graphic Textbook features a dozen short stories (both fiction and non-fiction) that address topics in a variety of disciplines (Social Studies, Math, Language Arts, Science) drawn from the list of Common Core Standards used in classrooms countrywide. The accompanying Teacher’s Guide will include Standards-correlated lesson plans customized to each story, research-based justifications for using comics in the classroom, a guide to establishing best classroom practices and a comprehensive listing of additional educational resources.
The Graphic Textbook will prove once and for all that comics belong in the classroom by creating a comic that every teacher will actually want to use and a textbook that every student will actually want to read!
Page Count: 144
Print Format: Hardcover
Digital Format: ComicsPlus and DRM-free, print-quality PDF
Bonus Material: 100-page digital Teacher's Guide
WHO WE ARE...
Reading With Pictures is a 501(c)3 nonprofit charity that promotes and facilitates the use of comics in the classroom. We're primarily a volunteer organization, and even our paid employees (such as those involved with The Graphic Textbook) are working at significantly below their normal market rate because they believe in our cause.
We work with the best people because we want to make the best book we possibly can. America's students deserve nothing less.
- "George Washington: Action President” by Fred Van Lente and Ryan Dunlavey (ACTION PHILOSOPHERS)
- The Black Brigade” by Chris Schweizer (CROGAN'S VENGEANCE)
- “Field Trip” by Russell Lissau (THE BATMAN STRIKES) and Marvin Mann (THE LONE AND LEVEL SANDS)
- "Menace of the Mathemagician" by Josh Elder (STARCRAFT: FRONTLINE) and Jen Brazas (MYSTIC REVOLUTION)
- “Finding Ivy” by Michael Bramley (HADRON COLLIDERSCOPE) and Alice Meichi Li (ELEPHANTMEN)
- “Probamon!” by Geoffrey Golden (THE DEVASTATOR) and Nate Pride (MOUSEGUARD: LEGENDS OF THE GUARD)
- “Special Delivery to Shangri-La” by Mike Lee and Janet Lee (RETURN OF THE DAPPER MEN)
- “Albert the Alien in ‘It’s a Figure of Speech!’” by Trevor Mueller (RWP: AN EDUCATIONAL COMICS ANTHOLOGY and Gabriel Bautista (WILL EISNER'S 'THE SPIRIT')
- "The Power of Print” by Katie Cook (FRAGGLE ROCK)
- “Doctor Sputnik: Man of Science” by Roger Langridge (THE MUPPET SHOW)
- “Like Galileo…” by James Peaty (SUPERGIRL) and Tintin Pantoja (HAMLET: THE MANGA EDITION)
- “Mail Order Ninja in Showdown with the Sea Apes!” by Josh Elder (THE BATMAN STRIKES) and Dean Trippe (POWER LUNCH)
- Foreword by Gene Yang (AMERICAN BORN CHINESE)
- Cover by Ben Caldwell (DARE DETECTIVES)
- Editorial services provided by Josh Elder (RWP: An Educational Comics Anthology), Paul Morrissey (MOUSE GUARD: LEGENDS OF THE GUARD) and Brandon Montclare (ALL-STAR SUPERMAN)
- Educational consulting by Professor David Rapp (Dept. of Learning Sciences, Northwestern University), Dr. James "Bucky" Carter (BUILDING LITERACY CONNECTIONS WITH GRAPHIC NOVELS) and Dr. Katie Monnin (TEACHING GRAPHIC NOVELS)
- Curriculum development by Sari Wilson and Tracy Edmunds.
- Additional educational comic material provided Raina Telgemeier (SMILE), Dave Roman (ASTRONAUT ELEMENTARY) and many more
You can find story synopses, complete creator bios and the full 411 on our editorial and educational team HERE.
HOW IT ALL WORKS...
We're going to release updates with new, unlockable rewards at regular intervals and special campaign milestones until we reach our goal... and then we're going to keep releasing additional rewards until the very last moments of the campaign. Why? Because reaching our goal is just the beginning.
While reaching our goal will underwrite the book's production and its first print run, exceeding our goal will prove beyond a doubt that that a market exists for The Graphic Textbook. We'll then be in the perfect position to expand the concept into an entire line of grade-and-subject specific graphic novels for the classroom and beyond.
Moreover, any profit we earn will be re-invested to fund the educator/librarian services provided free of charge on our website and at conventions, conferences and seminars around the nation.
WHY WE NEED YOUR HELP...
We've been talking to numerous publishers about a long-term partnership, but first we need to provide proof of this relatively radical concept. We need to prove that there's not only a need, but a market for comics in the classroom. That's why we need your support here on Kickstarter. We know that this book can change lives, but we can't prove it without you.
If you believe in these cartoonists and their mission, then please support us today. And then get your friends to support us tomorrow. And your enemies the day after that. Because really, what better way to bring people together than by using comics to conquer illiteracy?
Help us get comics into schools... and get schools into comics!
PURCHASING MULTIPLE REWARDS...
Yes... but not directly. Kickstarter only allows you to choose a single reward no matter how much you pledge. However, if you wish to purchase multiple rewards you can do the following (and we promise it's not as complicated as it appears):
- Add up all the costs of all the rewards you'd like to purchase. Then manually enter that pledge amount.
- Select one of the rewards (If one of the rewards you want has a limited quantity available, please choose that one).
- Make your payment.
- Contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org to tell us how much you pledged and what rewards you want and we'll add your information to our "special" ledger reserved only for the most awesome of backers.
- Pledge $100 or more and get one of our exclusive Reading With Pictures posters featuring artwork by Janet Lee, Ben Caldwell and more!
- Pledge $100 or more and get a FREE copy of of the Harvey Award-nominated Reading With Pictures Anthology!
- Pledge to buy a classroom set (digital, print or both) and RWP founder and award-winning comic writer Josh Elder will provide a how-to-create comics workshop to your school or library via Skype for FREE!
- And this is the big one... Pledge any amount (or increase an existing pledge by any amount) and you'll be eligible to win a commission by our cover artist, the incomparable Ben Caldwell! He'll be giving away one commission a day until the end of the campaign, so pledge early and pledge often to maximize your chances!
Simply add together the value of all the rewards you would like to purchase in order to determine your total pledge amount. Then choose the highest-value reward from that list as your "official" selection and then email us at email@example.com with the list of all your desired rewards so that we can reconcile your .
Please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are not permitted to place a purchase order on Kickstarter using Amazon's payment system. We can work out another method so that you can still take advantage of all the pre-order pricing and rewards on Kickstarter.
Backers in Mexico and Canada, please add an additional $5 to cover the added shipping fees for each reward (physical products only) you purchase. All other international backers, please add $10 per reward (physical products only). Thanks again!
You can change your pledge amount at any time. Simply increase your pledge so that it covers your previous purchase AND the new item you wish to purchase and then email us directly at email@example.com to let us know about the change to your order so we can alter our records accordingly.
Support this project
- (34 days)